Do you have to carry your permit paper everytime you carry? - Page 4

Do you have to carry your permit paper everytime you carry?

This is a discussion on Do you have to carry your permit paper everytime you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by -scooter- This wasn't covered by your instructor in class? Iowa accepts pretty much any form of training, so I did an online ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Do you have to carry your permit paper everytime you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by -scooter- View Post
    This wasn't covered by your instructor in class?
    Iowa accepts pretty much any form of training, so I did an online handgun safety course. I have been around guns all of my life and it really did not teach me anything useful pertaining to carrying or gun safety. I wish I would have spent more money and time to take a class that went more in depth with the carrying part. Its my fault for not doing a better class, but I'm trying to make up for it by learning as much as I can. I carried for the first time at dinner tonight and it went pretty well. My girlfriend didnt even know I had it on me. I always hear that the fewer peaople who know, the safer you are.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Excuse my ignorance, but you don't get a card where you live? Just a piece of paper?
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but you don't get a card where you live? Just a piece of paper?

As previously posted.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    This is the size of the "average" Iowa permit:

While state law allows for issuing agencies to issue laminated cards, there is no standard beyond what is shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    Nope just a peice of paper. The same as the picture on page three. A bit bigger than a $20. Its not very practical.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by zgoettsc View Post
    Iowa accepts pretty much any form of training, so I did an online handgun safety course. I have been around guns all of my life and it really did not teach me anything useful pertaining to carrying or gun safety. I wish I would have spent more money and time to take a class that went more in depth with the carrying part. Its my fault for not doing a better class, but I'm trying to make up for it by learning as much as I can. I carried for the first time at dinner tonight and it went pretty well. My girlfriend didnt even know I had it on me. I always hear that the fewer peaople who know, the safer you are.
    Check out these guys, they're over in your neck of the woods:

Mirage Training

Fierce Training

I know a couple of people that have done the on-line thing but have come back to take live classes, take the time and take a good class.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    This is the size of the "average" Iowa permit:

While state law allows for issuing agencies to issue laminated cards, there is no standard beyond what is shown above.
    You bear a remarkable resemblance to Andrew Jackson.

Another option is memorize your number. What decent LEO couldn't respect that?

I made copies of mine put one in my wallet one in car glove box and keep orignal at home that way u can make more copies as needed yes have it with u at all times

My Arkansas CCL is the same size as my DL's and it's a hard copy. If I'm carrying and don't have my CCL, it's a big NO-NO. An online class for a CCL, apparently there wasn't no test to see if you read anything and trying to be cheap with something this serious.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    shrink it and have the smaller version notarized and laminated.
    check if that is legal 1st
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    You bear a remarkable resemblance to Andrew Jackson.

Another option is memorize your number. What decent LEO couldn't respect that?
    That's all well and good, but not in keeping with Iowa code as referenced in post #3.

The permit number is just the number of your NICS check so upon renewal (5years) it will change anyway.

Additional copies as noted above is a good idea.

There's been talk of people making a reduced copy and laminating that, but that may or may not be kosher in the eyes of the law.

As stated, I keep mine folded up in a plastic sleeve in my wallet, it's well over a year old and holding up well, I still have my pre-2011 permit in there as well and it's still in pretty good shape.

Your mileage may vary.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Runt View Post
    My Arkansas CCL is the same size as my DL's and it's a hard copy. If I'm carrying and don't have my CCL, it's a big NO-NO. An online class for a CCL, apparently there wasn't no test to see if you read anything.
    That's about as bogus and petty as it gets. There's a couple different classes out there, they even accept the Maryland on-line course.

The NRA Basic Pistol Course which is the "default" expected training across most of the country doesn't touch on the law at all so I don't think we can legitimately give grief on the content of an on-line "safety" course that may or may not have been Iowa specific.

SC State Law dictates the size of our permits

Quote Originally Posted by SECTION 23-31-215
    SLED must issue a permit, which is no larger than three and one half inches by three inches in size, to carry a concealable weapon to a resident or qualified nonresident

Here in Plymouth county, we get the paper that JD showed, but for an extra five bucks, we also get a hard, driver's license size card complete with picture. Not a bad deal. It will survive a trip through the washer and dryer. I'm pretty sure we are supposed to have the permit on us when we carry. Not positive and don't care, as it is in the wallet and ALWAYS is with me, law or not.

Webster County gives the same size paper and the sheriff's department told me that I could go to office max and have it reduced and laminated so it will last longer. I will also scan it to my pc to keep a copy and I have a small laminating machine that I figured I could try making extra with just so I can keep them in several places.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links