Do you have to carry your permit paper everytime you carry?

This is a discussion on Do you have to carry your permit paper everytime you carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Iowa and just got my paper permit today. It is a bigger peice of paper than I expected and is not laminated ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Do you have to carry your permit paper everytime you carry?

I live in Iowa and just got my paper permit today. It is a bigger peice of paper than I expected and is not laminated and would be tricky to fit in my wallet easily. Do I need to carry it with me when I carry?

Shouldnt you have familiarized yourself with the laws regarding CCW before you got your permit?

Carrying is a pretty serious responsibility in my opinion.

JD
    Administrator
    It is a misdemeanor to carry concealed without your permit. Get a little plastic sleeve of sorts, fold the permit and put the paper in there for storage.

724.5 Duty to carry permit to carry weapons.

A person armed with a revolver, pistol, or pocket billy concealed upon the person shall have in the person's immediate possession the permit provided for in section 724.4, subsection 4, paragraph "i", and shall produce the permit for inspection at the request of a peace officer. Failure to so produce a permit is a simple misdemeanor.
    But, even if you were to be open carrying, best to have the permit with you.

VIP Member
    Yes, I have to carry my permit, and one other form of picture ID whenever I carry concealed off my own property.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I have mine on me at all times. I also made copies that I have in my safe at home, because believe it or not, I heard in some rare cases, an LEO will take your CCW and your gun and say you didn't have your CCW on you just for the court time. Don't quote me on that though, it's most likely a myth but im not taking any chances.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by TrailWolf View Post
    Shouldnt you have familiarized yourself with the laws regarding CCW before you got your permit?

Carrying is a pretty serious responsibility in my opinion.
    Thank you for all of the legitimate replies.

I didn't ask to be lectured, so I do not appreciate your input. I, know it is serious business and respect it fully. Please leave your trolling off of a thread that was an honest question.

It depends on where you live, where you are (home, car, street) and the state laws.

Short answer - If you have the gun on you, have the silly little piece of paper. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by zgoettsc View Post
    Thank you for all of the legitimate replies.

I didn't ask to be lectured, so I do not appreciate your input. I, know it is serious business and respect it fully. Please leave your trolling off of a thread that was an honest question.
    I wouldn't take any responses to heart. Some people have a rough time wording their angry concerns when they write replies. I've learned to check my feelings at the door, on here. Most people are very helpful and knowledgeable.
    tcox4freedom and stancehold like this.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I agree, this question should have never made it to a post. Your responsibility to know the law BEFORE you get the permit. You should expect responses like this, will you ask us what the use of deadly force laws are for your state or will you get that information first hand.
    marcclarke likes this.

Administrator
    In most states you would need to have it "on your person" when you are carrying.
    If you go the lamination route then have it professionally HOT laminated.
    The adhesive type cold laminating sheets usually will hold up for very long.

With regard to how some folks answer forum questions - often the responses are brief but, not intended to be ignorant or disrespectful. Some folks just don't like to type so they come across as being abrupt and rude.

Some people ARE abrupt and rude which is a sad reality since we value politeness and respect on this forum very highly.

You can use your forum IGNORE feature to put those sorts of members on your IGNORE list and then you will not see their threads or their typed responces.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Laws vary from state to state. Most require you to have it on your person while carrying, some require a second form of picture ID to be carried as well. In most states I believe it will get you a fine if carrying without your permit on you. Some states it could get your permit suspended. When I get a new permit I hot laminate it, if it were too large for that, I'd get a plastic pouch (like Walmart and other stores) hand out with hunting licenses and keep it in that.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If doing something requires a license, why would you not have the license while doing it?
    DanielC, pacman and joker1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I agree, this question should have never made it to a post. Your responsibility to know the law BEFORE you get the permit. You should expect responses like this, will you ask us what the use of deadly force laws are for your state or will you get that information first hand.
    This would be a pretty boring forum if only thoughtful, clever, or never before asked questions were posted.......
    joker1 and bythehorns like this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by zgoettsc View Post
    I live in Iowa and just got my paper permit today. It is a bigger peice of paper than I expected and is not laminated and would be tricky to fit in my wallet easily. Do I need to carry it with me when I carry?
    I'll go with JD on this...

But the first response isn't trolling...it's a legitimate comment. What do the laws of your state say about carrying your permit on you when carrying?...every state is different.

Is it possible to cut the permit down (i.e. off the margins), laminate and stick in your wallet? Virginia has a paper permit...it's actually issued through the county (thus, every county is different). I'm able to cut mine down without a problem. TX (IIRC) issues a DL-sized "license" that fits easily in the wallet.

Bottom line: read the law, know the law, have your permit with you and work to make it fit...be in compliance with the law.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

You all need to lobby your state law makers to change the format of your permit to the same size as your drivers license. That's the way Tennessee does it and it works great.

Of course, it would be nice if ALL states followed the lead of VT, AZ, and AK!
    oneshot and Okemo like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links