What is your take on this?

This is a discussion on What is your take on this? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Heading to Mud Hens season opener tonight. We take the Tarta Bus from Waterville to Toledo and I looked up there rules of conduct: Weapons ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your take on this?

What is your take on this?

Heading to Mud Hens season opener tonight. We take the Tarta Bus from Waterville to Toledo and I looked up there rules of conduct:

Weapons / Hazardous Items No person, except a Law Enforcement Officer, shall bring into or
    carry aboard a TARTA vehicle, or bring into a TARTA station, any knife, gun, bow/arrow,
    explosive device or material, fireworks, blackjack, club, and/or any illegal or unlawfully
    possessed weapon of any kind.

Now I see it says no person except leo, but it also says "unlawfully"? I'm legal lawfully so am I ok or not? I still have to check to see if I can carry at the ballpark.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jjxj View Post
    Heading to Mud Hens season opener tonight. We take the Tarta Bus from Waterville to Toledo and I looked up there rules of conduct:

Weapons / Hazardous Items – No person, except a Law Enforcement Officer, shall bring into or
    carry aboard a TARTA vehicle, or bring into a TARTA station, any knife, gun, bow/arrow,
    explosive device or material, fireworks, blackjack, club, and/or any illegal or unlawfully
    possessed weapon of any kind.

Now I see it says no person except leo, but it also says "unlawfully"? I'm legal lawfully so am I ok or not? I still have to check to see if I can carry at the ballpark.
    Your trying to stretch what is being said to meet your purpose. Do you really think it would be alright for a LEO to bring explosives on the bus? I don't think anyone would buy into "Well I'm a LEO and it said I could". No Gun signs DO have the force of law in Ohio, if you carry and get caught you stand the chance of facing criminal charges and loss of your permit. Is it worth it? If you want to carry on the trip there, skip the bus and take your own vehicle.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Archer51, deffinetly not worth getting in trouble. But are the buses posted with the signs? I don't know that's why I looked up the rules of conduct. I still haven't found out if the field is legal to cc into. I'll have to call down there I guess.

Doesn't matter now anyways, I called the ball field and they have signs posted no guns. :(

Here in Tx we can't carry into professional sporting events,"IOW if they get paid to play" no guns allowed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

As I see it, either no gun...or don't go!

Losing a permit is not worth it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This is not ment to be against the OP or any one in particular. Is it me or do we worry to much about what is legal and what is not. I know in Texas if there is a 30.06 sign posted I can't carry there. I know the law concerning schools and federal office buildings whether or not they are posted. If I see a sign of ANY kind requesting no guns I just don't go there. I am not concerned if its legal I don't want the hassel from the owner or LE. I don't care if the sign is not the proper size or color or the wording isn't exactly right. I just don't go there or leave my gun in the car safe. retsupt99 nailed it ,"Losing a permit is not worth it". Seems like we get off on a rabbit trail about legal sign issues when we need to worry more about our 2A rights and what is happening in Washington DC instead of Joe Bobs Coffee Shop in Dime Box,TX not allowing CC. But thats just me. Sorry about the rambling, I love this site. Stay safe!!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

is it a legal sign by state statue; if it is then it's a posted "no" if not carry

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I don't think the rules of conduct for the bus would be legaly binding, but there is really no wiggle room for interpretation there if you typed it exactly. The and/or clause does not seperate the following items from the initial statement that no person may carry these items. The unlawful or illegal weapon segment is there as a catch all and is not addressing any of the previous items prohibited.

But as you said, if you can't carry at the destination, it doesn't matter. Lots of places and companies say 'no guns' but then are not actually posted or not the proper legal signs etc... You could look into it some more. The stadiums here all have a policy against guns, but it is not illegal. Just be prepared to be asked to leave if you are discovered.
    Walk softly ...

I copied and pasted the rule of conduct so it is correct. This is a family outing so I'm just going unarmed, my kids are looking forward to this game. I am however going to really look over the bus and stadium for signs.

VIP Member
    My take? The Mud Hens (or anyone else) and the bus company need my dollar much worse than I need their gunbuster signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    My take? The Mud Hens (or anyone else) and the bus company need my dollar much worse than I need their gunbuster signs.
    Does that mean you would violate the law and go past the sign to give them your dollar, or what?

If OH statutes say signs carry the weight of law, then it really isn't worth taking a chance on getting caught and having your kids watch you get carted off to jail.

Enjoy the game with your family and keep your SA up.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Does that mean you would violate the law and go past the sign to give them your dollar, or what?

If OH statutes say signs carry the weight of law, then it really isn't worth taking a chance on getting caught and having your kids watch you get carted off to jail.

Enjoy the game with your family and keep your SA up.
    No bus ride, no ball game, no violations, no trips to jail.
    Last edited by Mike1956; April 6th, 2012 at 09:04 PM.

Based on salaries and "hot dog" performances of professional athletes, it makes perfect sense they don't allow sniper rifles in the peanut gallery.

VIP Member
    I typically dislike it when someone starts talking about State "Z" where the OP asked a specific question about State "A."

But I'm going to break my own rule, here.

IMHO, you might want to follow-up locally -- as here in Virginia local jurisdiction and State agencies quite often use language like "unlawfully possessed" or "illegal" weapons to convoluted the issue when we force them to remove gun-buster sign that not authorized by State law.

I typically deal with a half dozen such unauthorized gun-buster signs a year. In over half the cases, they put up a "unlawfully possessed" or "illegal" weapons sign in its place. Under our current law we can't sue over that wording. Wish we could.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links