Caught a guy breaking into my truck

This is a discussion on Caught a guy breaking into my truck within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I go to work at 5 a.m. everyday, so I'm usually up around 3 or so,get some coffee,read the news online, etc. Yesterday morning I ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Caught a guy breaking into my truck

Caught a guy breaking into my truck

I go to work at 5 a.m. everyday, so I'm usually up around 3 or so,get some coffee,read the news online, etc. Yesterday morning I was up as usual. My wife doesnt get up until around 7 or 8 a.m. so I dont turn on any lights other than what I absolutely have too so I dont wake her up. I quietly walk into the kitchen and pack my lunch box using only the light from the refrigerator. I look out the small kitchen window which faces the large open parking lot I park in since my house does not have a garage and I'm forced to park in the open. I notice the dome light on my truck is on. Occassionaly the seat belt hangs in the door preventing it from closing all the way but I'm usually good about double checking this. I open the front door and notice the driver side door of my truck is wide open and there is a medium size black guy in my truck. I yell "Hey Man! he takes off like Carl Lewis in the '96 Olympics. I'm mad, I just got my Ham radio Tech License a couple of weeks ago and just put a new radio in my truck.I thought for sure the radio was gone. I glance in my truck to see what he was doing. from the looks of things he had just openend my truck door as I opened the front door to my house and didnt see me, I guess his head was down looking through my truck. Luckily nothing was even disturbed. I guess I caught him the second he openend the truck door. my center console is full of miscellaneous papers and change was open.The driver side door of my truck wasnt locked,that's my fault for some reason the key will go in the tumblers in the lock stick so locking/unlocking is difficult. I call 911 the local PD is there in just a minute or so since I only live a couple blocks away. I give them all the info and they send a couple units looking for him. I always carry my Smith and Wesson 9mm to work with me since I leave so early in the a.m. and I live in a rough neighborhood. this guy ran which was probably the best situation. but I was ready to do whatever I had to if he had chose to escalate the situation.
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like it worked out well for you.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I realize it's a reaction but I would have never yelled............just would have come up behind him and then ....................It's On.
    poppy37 likes this.

VIP Member
    Well played. He got his exercise, and you got to keep your stuff.
    LongGoneDays and atctimmy like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I had my 9mm in my hand ready to go if the situation escalated.
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    I realize it's a reaction but I would have never yelled............just would have come up behind him and then ....................It's On.
    Its On? Can you explain that please. Are you saying you would have preferred an escalation? If some thinks or says "its on" that is what I am thinking.
    Okemo, buzzed, stancehold and 1 others like this.

Ummm....escalate much?
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Quote Originally Posted by poppy37 View Post
    I go to work at 5 a.m. everyday, so I'm usually up around 3 or so,get some coffee,read the news online, etc. Yesterday morning I was up as usual. My wife doesnt get up until around 7 or 8 a.m. so I dont turn on any lights other than what I absolutely have too so I dont wake her up. I quietly walk into the kitchen and pack my lunch box using only the light from the refrigerator. I look out the small kitchen window which faces the large open parking lot I park in since my house does not have a garage and I'm forced to park in the open. I notice the dome light on my truck is on. Occassionaly the seat belt hangs in the door preventing it from closing all the way but I'm usually good about double checking this. I open the front door and notice the driver side door of my truck is wide open and there is a medium size black guy in my truck. I yell "Hey Man! he takes off like Carl Lewis in the '96 Olympics. I'm mad, I just got my Ham radio Tech License a couple of weeks ago and just put a new radio in my truck.I thought for sure the radio was gone. I glance in my truck to see what he was doing. from the looks of things he had just openend my truck door as I opened the front door to my house and didnt see me, I guess his head was down looking through my truck. Luckily nothing was even disturbed. I guess I caught him the second he openend the truck door. my center console is full of miscellaneous papers and change was open.The driver side door of my truck wasnt locked,that's my fault for some reason the key will go in the tumblers in the lock stick so locking/unlocking is difficult. I call 911 the local PD is there in just a minute or so since I only live a couple blocks away. I give them all the info and they send a couple units looking for him. I always carry my Smith and Wesson 9mm to work with me since I leave so early in the a.m. and I live in a rough neighborhood. this guy ran which was probably the best situation. but I was ready to do whatever I had to if he had chose to escalate the situation.
    Let me put this in a more logical order:

1. You live in a rough neighborhood.
    2. You must park in an unsecured, open lot accessible by anyone.
    3. You buy an expensive radio and put it in your vehicle where anyone can see it.
    4. You don't lock your vehicle.

What could possibly go wrong?
    Gforty, mhunter, kmagnuss and 2 others like this.

Some people here just scare the bejeezus out of me. You aren't looking for safety/security. You're looking for an excuse to shoot someone.

There is a difference...
    suntzu, WHEC724, Chandne and 9 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Use of deadly force in that situation may not be justified unless they attack you. We should be very careful how we wield our weapons and permits.
    RichB70, DMan, beararms and 2 others like this.

I'd yell and let him run. It is always better to avoid a situation that might escalate if we have that choice. My truck is like my dog, I'd hate seeing them hurt. But if my wife, family or I were in danger, now that's a different story.
    oneshot, sid1, Old School and 3 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    Some people here just scare the bejeezus out of me. You aren't looking for safety/security. You're looking for an excuse to shoot someone.

There is a difference...
    Feel the same way, recipe for disaster!

Your may be lucky he ran in most state if you had done anything for a property crime you would have been the one in jail.

Not worth shooting or beating someone over property like this. You did the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rambosky View Post
    I'd yell and let him run. It is always better to avoid a situation that might escalate if we have that choice. My truck is like my dog, I'd hate seeing them hurt. But if my wife, family or I were in danger, now that's a different story.

A guy I grew up with yelled at someone breaking into his neighbors car and was promptly shot in the head and killed.

They don't always run...
    ErnieNWillis likes this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links