PCS'ing to TX from FL. Would like some info on the CCW/L rules/laws in AL, LA and TX.

PCS'ing to TX from FL. Would like some info on the CCW/L rules/laws in AL, LA and TX.

This is a discussion on PCS'ing to TX from FL. Would like some info on the CCW/L rules/laws in AL, LA and TX. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my 3 years are up in Florida, and I have been giving the Engineering Petty Officer of my own ship. That being said I ...

Thread: PCS'ing to TX from FL. Would like some info on the CCW/L rules/laws in AL, LA and TX.

So my 3 years are up in Florida, and I have been giving the Engineering Petty Officer of my own ship. That being said I will be driving my truck and towing the wife's car. All the guns will be unloaded and locked in Pelican cases in the trunk of the wife's car. The bullets and magazines, in another case in the bed of the truck under the tonneau. I plan on carrying my PPS on the trip.

I plan on looking up as much information as I can before the trip but would like some of my fellow CCW'ers to give my some tips. My current plan is to take my time (03 days) to make the trip to Corpus. I'll be traveling up I75 to I10 to 59 to 77 to 37 (so i'll cut straight from Houston to Corpus, bypassing San Antonio). I've already looked at the Pack and Go website and I know that they all take my CCW from FL.

So what do I need to know driving through AL, LA and TX? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    "Common sense is not so common. Voltaire

Here's all the info you will need... Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Here's all the info you will need... Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner
    Hey, that's cool. I hadn't seen that. Thanks!

Thanks retsupp, already had that linked in my original post.

~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

There is no need to have you guns locked and unloaded. You have a CCW that is recognized by all the states you will be traveling through. In TX, you can have a loaded weapon in your car, on or about your person, even if you don't have a CCW, as long as it is concealed. Since you have a CCW from FL, which is recognized in TX, you can carry while driving through TX and also when not in your car.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Interne...rms/CHL-16.pdf

One thing about Tx CHL costs,for Vets both current and former the cost of the Resident CHL is 1/2 price $70 instead of $!40,but you will need to shop around for taking a class and the amount they charge
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    One thing about Tx CHL costs,for Vets both current and former the cost of the Resident CHL is 1/2 price $70 instead of $!40,but you will need to shop around for taking a class and the amount they charge
    It's even better than that. Since the OP is an Active Duty Servicemember there is no fee for the license itself. He will still need to shop around for a class. Some offer reduced fees for military personnel.

i am about to actually make the same trip. I have my CCW. My understanding is that alabama does require you to unload the weapon in your vehicle reguardless

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    looks like Alabama might be the only state you may have a problem. Unless, Texas has reciprocity with them. Source, OPENCARRY.org
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bsramzy View Post
    i am about to actually make the same trip. I have my CCW. My understanding is that alabama does require you to unload the weapon in your vehicle reguardless
    Incorrect. Unloaded weapon in vehicle is only if you don't have a carry permit.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/alabama.pdf

"You must have a Permit/License to carry a loaded handgun in any vehicle.

A person may lawfully transport a firearm, including a handgun, from one state in which they are legal to possess to another state without a permit as required under Alabama law, provided the following conditions are met:

 The firearm is unloaded.

Neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle.

 In case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment, the firearm and ammunition shall be in a locked container other than the glove box or console.
    Title 18 U.S.C. section 926A"

Here's another resource: NRA-ILA | Guide To The Interstate Transportation

And: NRA-ILA | State Laws

Be careful, and thank you!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

thank you for clarifying. I am much more comfortable keeping it on me and loaded at all times

Thanks to everyone for their advice and the links posted. I have more to read on.

I mispoke in my original thread. All the guns that won't be on my person will be unloaded and locked in pelican cases. The bullets and magazine are locked in their own case as well. I will be carrying my PPS w/ spare 7 rounder.

Sponsored Links