Worried I'll be denied in VA

This is a discussion on Worried I'll be denied in VA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm worried I will get denied because i did not list a previous address. I've basically lived at my current address for the past 7 ...

Thread: Worried I'll be denied in VA

Worried I'll be denied in VA

I'm worried I will get denied because i did not list a previous address. I've basically lived at my current address for the past 7 years, however my driver's license listed my mother's address up until 4 years ago. I was going to college and never felt the need to change my address until my license needed to be renewed. When filling out my application in my head i thought "of course i've only lived at my current address for the past 7 years" However, it just crossed my mind that according to DMV i lived with my mother up until 4 years ago. Could this end up leading to a denial?

Thanks for taking the time to help a fella out.

2. Remove Ads

Go to dmvnow.com and change your address there, can do it in 10 minutes. I just had this same problem (I had moved six months earlier, never changed my drivers license). You can't get a print out while you wait for the new license to show up. Also bring some utility bills with your current address. I did all this ans the county clerk never checked my address at all!

VIP Member
    Hope you don't need to go this route and if so you get a RKBA friendly judge:

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

SNIP

D.

SNIP

Upon denial of the application, the clerk shall provide the person with notice, in writing, of his right to an ore tenus hearing. Upon request of the applicant made within 21 days, the court shall place the matter on the docket for an ore tenus hearing. The applicant may be represented by counsel, but counsel shall not be appointed, and the rules of evidence shall apply. The final order of the court shall include the court's findings of fact and conclusions of law. Any order denying issuance of the permit shall state the basis for the denial of the permit and the applicant's right to and the requirements for perfecting an appeal of such order pursuant to subsection L.

SNIP

L.

SNIP

If the circuit court denies the permit, the specific reasons for the denial shall be stated in the order of the court denying the permit. Upon denial of the application, the clerk shall provide the person with notice, in writing, of his right to an ore tenus hearing. Upon request of the applicant made within 21 days, the court shall place the matter on the docket for an ore tenus hearing. The applicant may be represented by counsel, but counsel shall not be appointed, and the rules of evidence shall apply. The final order of the court shall include the court's findings of fact and conclusions of law.

SNIP
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Well, at least you're not perjuring yourself. Run it through. If you don't generate a hit on the background check, you'll slide.

VIP Member
    Since you have actually resided at that address for 7 years, I doubt you will have any problem. You basically have 2 options:
    1. Let it go and see if your permit is approved, if not explain in the appeals process what happened.
    2. Contact the Circuit Court Clerk and let them know of the mistake on ytour part, and give them the correct information.

BTW welcome to the forum from the Richmond area.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I hope it doesn't come to the ore tenus hearing. It's unfotunate it didn't even cross my mind until after i turned in the papers. Hopefully it will slide through, I'm leery of contacting them and letting them know i made a mistake. If it goes to hearing i guess i'll just have to pony up some cash for a lawyer.

If they catch it hopefully they'll show me a little leniency.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Go ahead and call the Clerk's Office and amend the address information. Be proactive and change it now, that way if there is a problem and you are denied over the issue you can show at the appeal's hearing that you tried to rectify an honest mistake.

Links