Quite a contradiction here about when pulled over by cops..

This is a discussion on Quite a contradiction here about when pulled over by cops.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If i remember correctly, the WI CCW manual that came with my CCW permit stated that when pulled over, i should show my CCW permit(correct) ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Quite a contradiction here about when pulled over by cops..

If i remember correctly, the WI CCW manual that came with my CCW permit stated that when pulled over, i should show my CCW permit(correct) to the officer..........AND then hand the officer the gun for his/er protection and then will give it back to you after all done. My CCW instructor (Police weapons instructor/retired) said, it is a bad idea to hand your gun to the officer BECAUSE if a back-up officer arrives at that time, you may get shot thinking you are pulling the gun at the primary officer who pulled you over.. <<<< This makes more sense to me. The instructor clearly instructed his fellow officers never to ask for any CCW permit holder's gun.

how do you guys feel about this?

EDIT: correction... the instructor said, if a cop asked you to hand over your gun to him/her, don't do it..
    Last edited by 02R1; April 7th, 2012 at 12:43 AM.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    It says to hand the permit to them if they request it I believe. I would definitely recommend giving it to them WITH your DL before mentioning anything about the firearm. Also, It does not say to hand them your gun without being asked, that would be the stupidest thing to ever do and would get you shot/arrested. It says they CAN ask to hold onto your firearm until they are finished, always have them take the gun from your holster, never pull it out yourself. I suggest you re-read the pamphlet you were given.
    BkCo1 and ironmike86 like this.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    It says to hand the permit to them if they request it I believe. I would definitely recommend giving it to them WITH your DL before mentioning anything about the firearm. Also, It does not say to hand them your gun without being asked, that would be the stupidest thing to ever do and would get you shot/arrested. It says they CAN ask to hold onto your firearm until they are finished, always have them take the gun from your holster, never pull it out yourself. I suggest you re-read the pamphlet you were given.

Thanks a lot.. first day carrying and i thought about that today. Came home and couldnt find the pamphlet.

yea i definitely would never pull my gun out and hand it to the officer...i can only see bad things happening...

Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    Thanks a lot.. first day carrying and i thought about that today. Came home and couldnt find the pamphlet.
    Pamphlet?!?!? I sincerely hope you have a FULL copy of your state CCW laws close by and have or are reading it repeatedly!
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Talking Everybody relax.......it's Friday night!

OK OK OK OK...........

What I might consider prudent in the circumstances would be to wait for instructions and questions from the LEO while you keep your hands on the steering wheel. They will be more than happy to tell you what they want, and that way no one will get overly excited, including some of the earlier respondents...............

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    Wisconsin isn't even a must inform state.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Wisconsin isn't even a must inform state.
    That's a whole 'nuther can 'o worms!

BTW, welcome ya'll!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Pull your gun out? Reality is going to suck.
    glockman10mm likes this.

Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    Wisconsin is not a must inform state.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    Pamphlet?!?!? I sincerely hope you have a FULL copy of your state CCW laws close by and have or are reading it repeatedly!
    discussed all/most that during the CCW course. Yep, currently reading more on it.Just kind of confused about that particular topic so i had to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Pull your gun out? Reality is going to suck.
    correction... the instructor said, if a cop asked you to hand over your gun to him/her, don't do it..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    correction... the instructor said, if a cop asked you to hand over your gun to him/her, don't do it..
    You aren't really sure what he said, it would seem.
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    You aren't really sure what he said, it would seem.
    that's what i was thinking when typing the original post, but somehow it didn't get written until i proof read it again..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links