Carry in your car with convenience

This is a discussion on Carry in your car with convenience within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like this concept but worry that seeing an empty holster may prompt a deed miss-doer to break in expecting to find a gun stashed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Carry in your car with convenience

Carry in your car with convenience

I like this concept but worry that seeing an empty holster may prompt a deed miss-doer to break in expecting to find a gun stashed because of the holster. Any opinions? Anyone using of of these? I like it otherwise.

Car Holster

Range Development Services, LLC

2. Remove Ads

I like it and I see your point. It could be a good indication to someone looking in. On the other hand, it may be a good warning to them not to break in if they don't know where I am.
    I could see using it on long trips. Wonder how hard it would be to remove and stash when you get out of the car?
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Center console or between the seats, IMO. Never the glove box because I don't want a firearm popping up if I'm fetching documentation. Point being- never in plain view. I have no interest in unholstering a weapon once I've left the house to put it on my person. It's either holstered on me, or holstered in the vehicle. Probably both. ;)
    Attached Images
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Quote Originally Posted by RangeDS View Post
    I like this concept but worry that seeing an empty holster may prompt a deed miss-doer to break in expecting to find a gun stashed because of the holster. Any opinions? Anyone using of of these? I like it otherwise.

Car Holster
    I use my Blackhawk Serpa with the paddle attachment. It hooks in that exact spot in my car and both of my trucks. Works great.

Consider if you are ever involved in a serious car wreck. I have. I lost my shoes, my wallet, and my cell phone in a roll over. Keep your piece on your person.
    Kadelic likes this.

I recently did a YouTube video on car carry. I stash it between the passenger seat and the console under a baseball cap. Since making this video, I have permanently secured the holster to the center console. You can watch the video here, Vehicle carry gun method, Glock 19 car carry. - YouTube
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Looks like it would be too visible to a LEO standing in your window...more so to a back-up standing on the passenger side. If I'm feeling the need to have better access during certain trips, I prefer the front-of-the-seat models.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Mine sits just fine in my IWB holster. The seat-belt doesn't interfere with comfort or the draw. I have driven from NC to Texas with it like that and forgot it was even there.

VIP Member
    Mine stays on me, unless going on a long trip, then it is in my center console.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm thinking of getting one of these myself. It just has a hook on each end so it should be easy to loosen it and remove it and throw it in the glovebox during any prolonged stops. I'm overweight and my OWB holster (at 3:30PM position ends up between my seat belt and the seat back, making the draw difficult, so this would seem to be a viable solution for me.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

All the in the car/truck training videos none ever suggest or draw from a fixed in vehicle holster. Here is a video of a man getting robbed buy two men, for him he got lucky. He HAD to go into his car to get a gun; what if he couldn't? Things could have been different if they had a gun or knife. YEA I know you will put it in your IWB holster ever time you get out...but I doubt it

Guy shoots attacker - YouTube

While the concept is great, it would be illegal in FL.
    Without a permit, it must be in a glove box or the console.
    With a permit, and I'm assuming most here have one, it cannot be visible from the outside to someone looking into your vehicle.
    I usually keep my firearm on my person, but if I take another firearm with me, I tuck it between the seat and console and cover it with a hat.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Usually I just keep one of my smaller guns in my cargo pocket or cross draw position. I have been thinking about one of these for longer trips:

Edge Works XST RTI Kydex Holster

I like the fact that A) It has that hood so the gun shouldn't (I say shouldn't because impact forces can do insane things in a crash) come out in an accident B) You can detach the holster from it's mounting plate (very easily) so all that will be left in your vehicle is that little piece of plastic screwed into wherever you choose. That's a bit less conspicuous than an empty holster.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

It must be concealed in Texas, with or without a permit, so that method is most likely a no go here.

I fail to see the usefulness of that method of car carry. In most all circumstances when I am in a car, I am going to use the car to get away or as the weapon before my gun, so leaving the gun on my person is going to be my prefered method of carry in the vehicle.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Against the law here in Mass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links