CC and Alcohol

This is a discussion on CC and Alcohol within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by acepilot I agree, but just to reiterate, ZERO tolerance! Zero Alcohol when carrying!!! I'm sure this is law in most, if not ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: CC and Alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    I agree, but just to reiterate, ZERO tolerance! Zero Alcohol when carrying!!! I'm sure this is law in most, if not all, states. Don't risk your safety or CCW!!!

Ace
    Oops, I posted before I read all the replies...my assumption that most states say zero alcohol when carrying is obviously wrong. However, I personally STILL will not carry (at home or out and about) if I have anything other than ZERO acohol in system. I feel that is the only responsible thing to do. I didn't get to 50 by doing stupid things!

Ace
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    Oops, I posted before I read all the replies...my assumption that most states say zero alcohol when carrying is obviously wrong. However, I personally STILL will not carry (at home or out and about) if I have anything other than ZERO acohol in system. I feel that is the only responsible thing to do. I didn't get to 50 by doing stupid things!

Ace
    Now, if only our commercial pilots would abide by that when flying...
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    I have had a license to carry concealed in Pennsylvania since before PA was Shall Issue. Back then ya had to sit down and meet the County Sheriff so that he could sign off on you.

I have had a beer out to dinner while carrying. It's perfectly legal here in PA. I don't have a beer every time I go out to eat but, I have on occasion. I don't go to bars at all though and I don't ever drink to get buzzed or intoxicated.
    Although sometimes a few of you and your forum posts really make me want to get drunk....but, that would be at home.
    I grew up in a Euro style family where kids could have a glass of wine during dinner if we wanted it....so a bit of alcohol with a really nice complete satisfying meal was never a big thing and it was never a taboo.

That is why nobody in my family ever became an alcoholic or (in any way) dependent on alcohol.
    Now-a-days they would probably take your kids away from you if you allowed them to have some wine with dinner.
    That's why kids these days finally get out on their own - out from under their parents thumb and out from under their roof - go off to college - live in a dorm - feel the need to rebel - get totally plastered all the time and die falling off some 4th story balcony or going into an alcoholic coma.
    Strange world we live in these days.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    out from under their parents thumb and out from under their roof - go off to college - live in a dorm - feel the need to rebel - get totally plastered all the time and die falling off some 4th story balcony or going into an alcoholic coma.
    On Dad's dime, no less.

I went to college in 1984 and failed the first year. My parental scholarship went "poof". Two years in a cardboard factory certainly yielded a new respect for education as well as an improvement in my self-financed grades.

Kids today don't have the slightest clue about sacrifice, let alone hard work.
    QKShooter likes this.

DC
    As a repeat, moderation...know your limits, etc.

I will not drink in public while carrying (concealed) but enjoy a drink or three at home (while carrying of course).

Texas is a zero tolerance state so when I carry out to dinner I just leave alcohol off my menu and have ice cold sweet tea instead. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    smolck likes this.
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    As stated the key is moderation and knowing your limits.
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Yep. If you're a big boy/girl and know what your limits and capabilities are then carry on with your life. If you can't control yourself or have a general tendancy to do stupid things either before or after you have a drink, then you might want to reconsider lots of things, drinking and CC both, maybe some others as well.
    This.

On the road, if I decide to have a beer or two, I will lock up my gun in my car safe for the duration of that day.
    Kind of defeats the purpose of CC but I do not do it more than once a month.

VIP Member
    don't mix!
    I use a dd that is well armed!

I don't drink and don't think alcohol and guns are a good mix in any way shape or form.

What do you folks think the Trayvon Martin/Zimmerman case would be like if EITHER of them had even a tiny trace of alcohol in their system? Would kinda change the playing field, now wouldn't it? Could be an innocent beer with the boys, but it will totally change the outcome of most self defense shootings in the eyes of a jury. You had alcohol in your system. Guilty.

You're all big boys and girls so do whatever you think is best, but any new shooter I train I make them give me their solemn oath that they will never handle a gun.....even after one drink. No oath....I no help train. I have zero tolerance in this area as there is so much to lose over something you can easily live without.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Florida-
    790.151 Using firearm while under the influence of alcoholic beverages, chemical substances, or controlled substances; penalties.—
    (1) As used in ss. 790.151-790.157, to “use a firearm” means to discharge a firearm or to have a firearm readily accessible for immediate discharge.

(2) For the purposes of this section, “readily accessible for immediate discharge” means loaded and in a person’s hand.

(3) It is unlawful and punishable as provided in subsection (4) for any person who is under the influence of alcoholic beverages, any chemical substance set forth in s. 877.111, or any substance controlled under chapter 893, when affected to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired, to use a firearm in this state.

(4) Any person who violates subsection (3) commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(5) This section does not apply to persons exercising lawful self-defense or defense of one’s property.

Gotta love Florida; it's all about being responsible.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Kel, I do not think you understood my post. Let me clear it up. If your going to go out and drink, leave the gun at home and enjoy your life. If you are at home enjoying a few adult beverages then carry on. Really simple.
    Absolutley agree with you Harry. Just wanted to add what I consider to be some information about SC (and probably other states) and the idea that having a firearm is more dangerous than driving drunk and certainly should be accorded a substantial place in criminal and civil responsibilities. Unfortunately many out there do not consider alcohol to be a problem and I think they might want to change their minds if caught up in a drinking/firearm situation.

Distinguished Member Array pipedream's Avatar
    Moderation.....as others have said.

Laws vary from state to state. Here you can have a drink with dinner without worry since the legal limit is the same as for driving. I rarely would have a alcoholic drink when going out to dinner and if so it would be just one. I agree with others that you could find yourself in a legal mess if alcohol was found after a confrontation.
    NRA Patron Member
    GOA Life Member
    Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Now, if only our commercial pilots would abide by that when flying...
    Well, if you had to overnight in Fargo, ND, you'd need to be drunk too! (Maybe that particular reference is too old...that was the first incident I recall of "drunk" pilot...back about 1980 +/- say 5 years...a Northwest pilot went on a bender the night before his flight from Fargo to Minneapolis)
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

I personally have a no guns with alcohol rule. But, then again, I only drink about 6 beers a year. so just one beer gets me good and buzzed. (cheep date)

And I really don't have a problem with those responsible gun carriers who have a drink with a meal.

But, as we all know, not everyone who carries a gun is responsible. I'm sure we all know of that person who is very irresponsible and makes bad choices on a regular bases. Those are the people who scare me with the drinking and carrying.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links