CC and Alcohol

This is a discussion on CC and Alcohol within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In PA, it's not illegal to drink and carry or go to a bar and carry. It's also not illegal to be drunk and armed. ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: CC and Alcohol

In PA, it's not illegal to drink and carry or go to a bar and carry. It's also not illegal to be drunk and armed. For example, if I decided to drink a gallon of Maker's Mark, and stumble down the street while peeing my pants and carrying a gun, I'd be charged with drunk and disorderly, public intoxication, and maybe disorderly conduct. The firearm wouldn't be taken into account, at all, and wouldn't raise the misdemeanor to a felony offense. I'd be disarmed, taken to the drunk tank, and I'd have my gun returned when I soberedf up and was released. As it should be.

For what it's worth, I don't drink often, and when I do, I control myself, and never get the point where I can't drive. If yo can't control your drinking, you probably are going to irresponsible with a firearm, too.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Dumble. I am not trying to start a geopolitical discussion on the merits or faults for drinking and OC just have a couple of questions/statements no directed towards you just your post.

In PA, it's not illegal to drink and carry or go to a bar and carry. It's also not illegal to be drunk and armed. For example, if I decided to drink a gallon of Maker's Mark, and stumble down the street while peeing my pants and carrying a gun, I'd be charged with drunk and disorderly, public intoxication, and maybe disorderly conduct. The firearm wouldn't be taken into account, at all, and wouldn't raise the misdemeanor to a felony offense. I'd be disarmed, taken to the drunk tank, and I'd have my gun returned when I soberedf up and was released. As it should be.

If a person gets in this shape should they be carrying a gun? Probably not. What good is it? Would they even recognize the threat or could they even hit it if they had to? Alcohol has the tendency to make folks 10 feet tall and buletproof add a firearm to the mix and it may lead to problems.
    I would hope that someone who takes carrying a firearm seriously, as you do, would refrain from activities like you described as you do. Has there ever been a problem with guns in bars and intoxicated carriers? I am not egging things on I really don't know.
    sid1 likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Here in Iowa, you can drink and carry. Can hang in a bar or anyplace that serves booze. Drink all you want but the second your BAC is above the driving limit, your permit is invalid until you sober up. So now you are carrying without a permit. A bad idea. I'd rather stay sober and carry than get oiled up unarmed. But while I like my good kraut beer as much as the next guy, my days of swinging from the chandeliers have been over for about 15 years. I hate to sound like a guy's dad, but if you reckon yourself ready to carry a gun, you already know how to handle this issue. If not, well, you may screw up, we'll all hear about it and the anti's will have yet one more thing to scream about. So use some horse sense and get it right.
    Doghandler likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Moderation is key. Do not stop living life because of your CC....
    If you don't carry, you could be killed.

I've mentioned my uncle many times on here, the one who missed his daughters wedding because it was in a posted zone and wouldn't visit his mother as she lay dying because hospitals are a no-go in his state. Well he is well into his old age and has lived. He has survived and lived a pretty fulfilling life. He knows that not carrying could lead to death. We should all remember that.

As far as drinking and carrying, I don't see the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post

I've mentioned my uncle many times on here, the one who missed his daughters wedding because it was in a posted zone and wouldn't visit his mother as she lay dying because hospitals are a no-go in his state. Well he is well into his old age and has lived. He has survived and lived a pretty fulfilling life. He knows that not carrying could lead to death. We should all remember that.
    If I expressedmy feelings in words over your uncle mentalities (being selfess) I would be kicked off this forum. You seem to hold this man in high regard

Im not sure if this is sarcasm or lunacy either way, Im not stopping my life for a gun. I have other means to protect myself....

I drink and CC all the time. I'm not changing anything just because I carry. Am I not allowed to defend myself if I drink? It's all in moderation. If you can't control yourself when you drink you might just need to stop drinking all together. Just use common sense. It's ok to have a beer while out to dinner with the family.

Sponsor
    Moderation is key. Do not stop living life because of your CC....
    Well put friend, carrying a firearm is a serious business, it can ruin your fun.
    Harryball likes this.
    Go with the glow

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    If I expressedmy feelings in words over your uncle mentalities (being selfess) I would be kicked off this forum. You seem to hold this man in high regard
    I don't understand why? He is a true blue patriotic American who takes his 2nd Amendment rights seriously. That is why he has survived and lived such a long fulfilling life. He is well into his 70s.

Im not sure if this is sarcasm or lunacy either way, Im not stopping my life for a gun. I have other means to protect myself....
    It is neither sarcasm nor lunacy. Nobody has stopped their life for a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan6 View Post
    Texas is a zero tolerance state so when I carry out to dinner I just leave alcohol off my menu and have ice cold sweet tea instead. :)
    In Alabama the individual county sheriffs have the right to put restrictions on all permits they see fit. On the back of mine is clearly says NO drinking while carrying. I think this is just common sense, firearms and ANY amount of alcohol don't mix IMO.

What about firearms and tobacco? Or caffeine? Both are also drugs.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    With Minnesota's limit for carrying being .04, this will allow me to have a beer with dinner out. Beyond that, I'll keep the EDC in the safe.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

It is neither sarcasm nor lunacy. Nobody has stopped their life for a gun.
    It seems your uncle has.

"missed his daughters wedding because it was in a posted zone and wouldn't visit his mother as she lay dying because hospitals are a no go"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links