CC and Alcohol

This is a discussion on CC and Alcohol within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I find since I have been carrying I have been drinking less. I never drink when I carry. I postpone trips out of the house ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: CC and Alcohol

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

CC and Alcohol

I find since I have been carrying I have been drinking less. I never drink when I carry. I postpone trips out of the house when I have had anything to drink because I don't leave the house unarmed. Problem is, I love my Bourbon and cigars too. Much like DUI we as CC and OC have to pay attention to when we drink. One drink is over the legal limit for any form of carry.
    Any Thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I find since I have been carrying I have been drinking less. I never drink when I carry. I postpone trips out of the house when I have had anything to drink because I don't leave the house unarmed. Problem is, I love my Bourbon and cigars too. Much like DUI we as CC and OC have to pay attention to when we drink. One drink is over the legal limit for any form of carry.
    Any Thoughts?
    Have a cigar, go where you want to go.
    ericb327 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I really enjoyed sipping on some good single malt Scotch ! But, have stopped drinking entirely since I got my concealed carry permit. I am responsible for my families protection at all times. I still have fond memories of Scotch! Lol! I'm glad you recognize that drinking and guns don't mix and enjoy your Bourbon and cigars responsibly!
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.
    Conceal Carry
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Compact
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
    Rock River Arms 6.8 SPC
    Taurus Millennium Pro 140

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Any Thoughts?
    That's good for you. Staying away from liquor and places that serve liquor is the best way to stay out of trouble in the first place. You don't need to worry about winning a fight that never starts.

Moderation is key. Do not stop living life because of your CC....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Moderation is key. Do not stop living life because of your CC....
    I agree with that 100 percent. I see here folks that change their lifestyle just because they CC. Don't get me wrong. It is all a personal choice. But I have seen folks say that they will not see friends, relatives (including parents) anymore because they do not allow firearms. Have seen folks say they will not go here or there (vacation stuff with kids) anymore because of no gun policies. One guy even posted he will not take his kids to Disney World! Some have posted I don't do this activity because it is too hard to conceal while doing it. Folks have changed the way they dress since they started to carry. In a nutshell, some have their lives revolve around a piece of metal (except for Glock guys, then a hunk of plastic) instead of living life.

BTW: I stopped drinking years ago but I didn't do it because of an inanimate object.

In my state it's not illegal to have drinks with ccw, however it is highly discouraged because the penalties are severely enhanced if you are intoxicated and misdemeanor crimes suddenly become felonies.

The legal limit for intoxication in my state is 0.08. That allows me to have a beer or two, or a glass of wine with dinner, which I have done on rare occasion.

However, I rarely drink at all because I carry all the time. And while I have the ability to have a beer or glass of wine with dinner, I almost always choose not to. But like I said, on rare occasions I may go ahead with one beer or glass of wine with a good meal.

Sometimes a good gourmet burger or bowl of hot mexican chili just tastes better with a good beer. Or a $25 veal marsala goes down sweeter with a nice pinot nior.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I agree with that 100 percent. I see here folks that change their lifestyle just because they CC. Don't get me wrong. It is all a personal choice. But I have seen folks say that they will not see friends, relatives (including parents) anymore because they do not allow firearms. Have seen folks say they will not go here or there (vacation stuff with kids) anymore because of no gun policies. One guy even posted he will not take his kids to Disney World! Some have posted I don't do this activity because it is too hard to conceal while doing it. Folks have changed the way they dress since they started to carry. In a nutshell, some have their lives revolve around a piece of metal (except for Glock guys, then a hunk of plastic) instead of living life.

BTW: I stopped drinking years ago but I didn't do it because of an inanimate object.
    I'm at about 50%. Yes, there are places I won't go and endeavors I won't support because of anti-gun sentiment. Not many, tho, because at least around here, that sentiment is unusual. My manner of dress did change a bit to accommodate concealed carry, because I want it to stay concealed. That way, nobody has to worry about whether my gun is welcome in their home, etc (no duty to inform here, except to LEOs). There is no one I stay away from because of their gun views, since that view never includes the ones I am wearing. I quit drinking long ago, as well, about ten years before CHL became a reality here in Ohio. I have demonstrated an utter inability to consume alcohol responsibly, so I don't consume it all, ever. Kids are adults, so no issue there.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

It IS a life-style change. I LOVE good beer, burbons, tequila......... I'll just stop there. I made the choice many moons ago to not drink (as much) as I did. Carrying a sidearm was just just one element of that overall decision. A wife, kids, greater responsibilities at work as well.........and now grandkids.....

I never 'stopped' drinking though and when I'm heeled, then it's none for me........ it's a choice. When I do drink more than a couple, then no gun..... I ain't driving either, or I'm at home anyway.

Know your states laws, know your OWN limits and set boundries....... self-discipline. It's common cense. Don't halt life or stop living either. HarryBall already said it, moderation.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Carrying a gun has made me more conscious and responsible. I had slightly modified my way of life because I carry, but I think is a good thing. Yes, I still have my drinks and smoke cigars a few times per week. But, I make it a point to carry while driving, especially when riding my motorcycle, which deters my desire to stop at a joint for a few beers to then ride back home.

I think it is all about common sense, being prudent and priorities in life. I frequent bars and restaurants near my home (I live downtown) to have dinner and a couple of cocktails, but I leave my gun home and I walk. I do carry my pocket folder, just in case I need it while walking a few blocks.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Texas law says you can't be intoxicated but it does not say you can't have a beer. The ticket is to be in control of yourself and be torrents of others

I basically carry all the time unless; I'm in the shower, I am having a drink outside of my home on the weekends or I'm having to visit a gun restricted area.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I enjoy a few beers at home maybe once a week or so, and always at home. It's not worth the scrutiny if by chance I have to defend myself in public with alcohol in my system. My state's law says you can't discharge a weapon under the influence (unless for self defense) it says nothing about carrying while under the influence of alcohol... still I play it safe.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

VIP Member
    As stated the key is moderation and knowing your limits.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    As stated the key is moderation and knowing your limits.
    ^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links