Texas DL and Oklahoma CHL

This is a discussion on Texas DL and Oklahoma CHL within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just moved from OK to TX. I now have a TX Drivers license and an Oklahoma CHL. Am I legal to carry in TX? ...

Thread: Texas DL and Oklahoma CHL

Texas DL and Oklahoma CHL

I just moved from OK to TX. I now have a TX Drivers license and an Oklahoma CHL. Am I legal to carry in TX? My concern is having my old address on the CHL. I tried to have the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation put my TX address on my CHL but they wouldn't go for it. I work weekends so going to get a Texas CHL could prove to be a real pain. Please help.

2. Remove Ads

TX does have a reciprocal agreement with OK. I think, though, you are going to have a problem with the address mis-match. The TX website is below. I didn't find anything in the FAQ's that would cover the situation. There is a contact us option where you can ask your question directly to the authorities to get the response directly from them. There are some instructors that offer the TX class during the week, so you are not locked in on just doing it on the weekend.

TxDPS - Concealed Handgun Licensing

I did find another post on another forum discussing the same situation as you have. Looks like the reason why OK wouldn't put your TX address on your CHL is because they do not allow out of state CHL holders.

TexasCHLforum.com • View topic - out of state license

VIP Member
    I believe you are not going to have a choice. You are now a Texas resident, not an Oklahoma resident. Technically since OK does not have a non-resident permit, your permit is no longer valid.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I believe you are not going to have a choice. You are now a Texas resident, not an Oklahoma resident. Technically since OK does not have a non-resident permit, your permit is no longer valid.
    Yep, you are going to have to find someone who will give a class around your schedule or work your schedule around a class. I you are no longer a resident of OK, you really don't have a valid permit.

Good Luck
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links