Gun control laws going nowhere

This is a discussion on Gun control laws going nowhere within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's a link to an article (it's about gun control laws not the Trayvon Martin case) and how basically anything gun control advocates attempt in ...

Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By Archie
  • 3 Post By pappou68
  • 2 Post By PEF
  • 2 Post By First Sgt
  • 3 Post By Crowman
  • 1 Post By torgo1968

Thread: Gun control laws going nowhere

  1. #1
    VIP Member Array rammerjammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    3,356

    Gun control laws going nowhere

    Here's a link to an article (it's about gun control laws not the Trayvon Martin case) and how basically anything gun control advocates attempt in our Congress goes nowhere. Such as trying to reinsitute a ban on high capacity mags etc.

    Luckily these gun control morons get nowhere with their arguments. But, there is also plenty of foolish hype from the anti-gun control crowd who's ready to believe any false email sent to their inbox about UN Treaties etc.

    Trayvon Martin Shooting Unlikely To Change Gun Debate, Lawmakers Concede
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

    Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array Archie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hastings, Nebrasksa - the Heartland!
    Posts
    313

    Yes and No...

    Federal laws regarding gun control are pretty much not going to happen in the immediate future. Unless...

    There are a number of Republicans who will 'compromise' on issues to gain ground on another. They're not anti-gun, they're just sort of 'middle of the road', meaning Second Amendment is not their main issue. They will possibly cede some ground on 'reasonable laws' to get something more important to them. There is no list of names, but just keep track of what is presented and under what conditions.

    The United Nations 'treaties' are another problem altogether. All a treaty requires is Presidential approval and two-thirds consent of the Senate. Not Congress, the Senate only. Right now, the Left does not control a two-thirds majority in the Senate, just a simple majority. However, I expect some serious arm twisting and deal cutting when the U. S. small arms treaty comes to the floor of the Senate.

    Don't panic; not happening right now (April 2012). However, we all need to keep an eye out and remind our congressional servants who is in charge on certain matters from time to time.

    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance", said the Honorable Mr. Jefferson. He is of course, still correct.
    cglandorf and tcox4freedom like this.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

  4. #3
    Member Array pappou68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    302
    Too bad we can't enact and enforce idiot and moron control laws. We'd all be safer on the streets and in our own home.
    tcox4freedom, 4my son and PatAz like this.

  5. #4
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,570
    Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Federal laws regarding gun control are pretty much not going to happen in the immediate future. Unless...

    There are a number of Republicans who will 'compromise' on issues to gain ground on another. They're not anti-gun, they're just sort of 'middle of the road', meaning Second Amendment is not their main issue. They will possibly cede some ground on 'reasonable laws' to get something more important to them. There is no list of names, but just keep track of what is presented and under what conditions.

    The United Nations 'treaties' are another problem altogether. All a treaty requires is Presidential approval and two-thirds consent of the Senate. Not Congress, the Senate only. Right now, the Left does not control a two-thirds majority in the Senate, just a simple majority. However, I expect some serious arm twisting and deal cutting when the U. S. small arms treaty comes to the floor of the Senate.

    Don't panic; not happening right now (April 2012). However, we all need to keep an eye out and remind our congressional servants who is in charge on certain matters from time to time.

    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance", said the Honorable Mr. Jefferson. He is of course, still correct.
    Just for the record, Mr. Jefferson wrote and said a great deal, much of it quite unwise. He was a very seriously flawed personality who could come up with these little gems but more routinely was the coward, the instigator who then denied
    instigating, the slanderer who denied his lies in letters to his contemporaries. He was hands down the worst of the first half dozen Presidents of the US. And before that, a not very effective Secretary of State; he almost brought us into two wars
    and did stupid stuff which did lead to The War of 1812 with England; the one where they burned The White House to the Ground.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

  6. #5
    Member Array cglandorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    17

    Somewhat Agree

    I agree Archie. I think there are plenty of pro-2nd Amendment types in congress that might compromise on certain gun issues to get related, or other unrelated laws passed. Sometimes it’s all about playing the game.

    I do think the US would need to have its proverbial head up way its ass (Read: thoughtful political analysis) to start passing serious anti-gun legislation.

    That being said, I remember times in the last few decades where that has definately been the case.
    ”And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms….The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

  7. #6
    VIP Member
    Array PEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just for the record, Mr. Jefferson wrote and said a great deal, much of it quite unwise. He was a very seriously flawed personality who could come up with these little gems but more routinely was the coward, the instigator who then denied
    instigating, the slanderer who denied his lies in letters to his contemporaries. He was hands down the worst of the first half dozen Presidents of the US. And before that, a not very effective Secretary of State; he almost brought us into two wars
    and did stupid stuff which did lead to The War of 1812 with England; the one where they burned The White House to the Ground.
    Your last name wouldn't be Adams, would it?
    rammerjammer and Badey like this.

  8. #7
    Member Array cglandorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Just for the record, Mr. Jefferson wrote and said a great deal, much of it quite unwise. He was a very seriously flawed personality who could come up with these little gems but more routinely was the coward, the instigator who then denied
    instigating, the slanderer who denied his lies in letters to his contemporaries. He was hands down the worst of the first half dozen Presidents of the US. And before that, a not very effective Secretary of State; he almost brought us into two wars
    and did stupid stuff which did lead to The War of 1812 with England; the one where they burned The White House to the Ground.
    Agree about Jefferson. He made the worst foreign policy decisions – well, ever. And, yes, he was a poor president. But arguably the worst presidency belonged to U. S. Grant. The most corrupt in history. But I would not have an issue with my children growing up to emulate him – he was an honorable, hardworking and competent man that got in over his head when he strayed from his area of expertise.

    Likewise, Jefferson was a great thinker and writer. But he was unwise and uncreative in politics, and everyone knew it. Creating ideas was his forte. Politics and intrigue, almost without exception, always gave him a poor showing.
    ”And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms….The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

  9. #8
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    10,088
    As I recall, the British torched Washington and the White House in direct retaliation for the Americans doing the same to Toronto (York), the capital of British North America at the time.

    I only mention this to emphasize that the winners get to write the history books.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array First Sgt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Posts
    7,967
    Sigh!!! I think Jefferson and Grant have lost their positions, as to the most "unwise" presidents, to the current regime head...And I wouldn't trust either he or his liberal cohorts when it comes to following the constitution or violating the constitution. Be ever vigilant when it comes to protecting YOUR rights. The "potential" is there for huge violations. JMO
    Caertaker and tcox4freedom like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

  11. #10
    VIP Member Array Crowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    West Allis WI
    Posts
    2,761
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Here's a link to an article (it's about gun control laws not the Trayvon Martin case) and how basically anything gun control advocates attempt in our Congress goes nowhere. Such as trying to reinsitute a ban on high capacity mags etc.

    Luckily these gun control morons get nowhere with their arguments. But, there is also plenty of foolish hype from the anti-gun control crowd who's ready to believe any false email sent to their inbox about UN Treaties etc.

    Trayvon Martin Shooting Unlikely To Change Gun Debate, Lawmakers Concede
    All well and good. However we should not believe that the anti 2nd amendment folks are going to ever give up. We have to continue to fight for our right to keep and bear arms. A fight that will most likely last forever.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

    Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array Badey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    All well and good. However we should not believe that the anti 2nd amendment folks are going to ever give up. We have to continue to fight for our right to keep and bear arms. A fight that will most likely last forever.
    Agreed, which is why it is important to get the next generation involved with and educated about firearms.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

  13. #12
    Member Array torgo1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Right now, the Left does not control a two-thirds majority in the Senate, just a simple majority.
    It's not just that the "left" doesn't control the Senate, it's that there are Democrats who would not vote for this treaty. So for the treaty to pass, they not only have to elect 67 "yes" votes, they have to replace the pro-gun Democrats in the process. Not going to happen.

    However, I expect some serious arm twisting and deal cutting when the U. S. small arms treaty comes to the floor of the Senate.
    It's not going to come to the floor. Whatever your opinion of Obama, the man can count. Bringing it to the floor when he knows he would lose by a wide margin is a waste of time and a political punch in the face. All in the name of an issue that doesn't gain him anything. He's had many high profile shootings to take advantage of and he hasn't. He knows it's a loser for him and his party.
    rammerjammer likes this.

  14. #13
    Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    856
    The next president might get to pick up to 3 supreme court judges. If Obama wins again things might not look so bright. That's why anyone with a hear beat needs to vote!

    Nothing disgust me more than people that don't vote.

  15. #14
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,133
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    The next president might get to pick up to 3 supreme court judges. If Obama wins again things might not look so bright. That's why anyone with a hear beat needs to vote!

    Nothing disgust me more than people that don't vote.
    Might??? If he gets to pick one more, tendremos muchas problemas.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

  16. #15
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,837
    As long as good and evil exist in this world, there will always those would deny the right to self defense. Some do it on purpose, others do it without thinking.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

discussions on gun control
,

gun control going nowhere

,
gun cotntrol, going nowhere
,

it's not just gun control laws.

,
martin case gun laws ccw
,
new gun laws going nowhere ?
Click on a term to search for related topics.