Bill Cosby and Gun Control

This is a discussion on Bill Cosby and Gun Control within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So now that Bill Cosby has determined his opinion is relevant – actually vital – to the Trayvon Martin case, it is discovered he is ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Bill Cosby and Gun Control

So now that Bill Cosby has determined his opinion is relevant – actually vital – to the Trayvon Martin case, it is discovered he is one of the few privilaged gun owners in New York City.

New York’s Gun Culture

It is clear he, and most others who promote gun control, advocate it for the filthy masses, not for celebrities or those with political connections.
    We can see clearly as ever that our fight for 2nd Amendment rights is a fight of, and for, the people.

Make no mistake; the gun control movement has put the ordinary, middle-class American clearly in their crosshairs.
    ”And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms….The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

I actually agree with what Bill Crosby said about this case and guns.:
    “We’ve got to get the gun out of the hands of people who are supposed to be on neighborhood watch,”
    A lot of Nieghborhood Watches prohibit carrying so folks are not acting like vigalantes or perceived as such.

“Without a gun, I don’t see Mr. Zimmerman approaching Trayvon by himself,” he declared.
    I agree with that. I really feel this bozo would not have followed the kid if he was not armed. If true, he was emboldened because he was armed.

As far as Mr. Crosby having a gun. I don't give hoot if he is a hypocrite. Even hypocrits have 2 A rights.
    Okemo likes this.

I wonder if Bill was pro CC before or after his kid was killed on that freeway off ramp
    Hopyard likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I actually agree with what Bill Crosby said about this case and guns.:

A lot of Neighborhood Watches prohibit carrying so folks are not acting like vigilantes or perceived as such.

I agree with that. I really feel this bozo would not have followed the kid if he was not armed. If true, he was emboldened because he was armed.

As far as Mr. Crosby having a gun. I don't give hoot if he is a hypocrite. Even hypocrites have 2 A rights.
    (spelling fixed)

You agree that its "OK" for Bill Cosby to have a gun because he is rich, yet anyone on a neighborhood watch is exempt from carrying a gun because they might act like a vigilante?

You would eliminate the right to self protection because someone doesn't "perceive" it as being OK while admitting to letting "hypocrites" have Second Amendment rights?

You feel like the guy is a "bozo" because he was doing his job? He was a neighborhood watchman. He used his gun to defend himself. What exactly do you know about the case, other than what you have read from news sources?

Here you are on a gun board using the logic of an anti-gunner and sounding just like one. Are you sure where you stand?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    (spelling fixed)

You agree that its "OK" for Bill Cosby to have a gun because he is rich, yet anyone on a neighborhood watch is exempt from carrying a gun because they might act like a vigilante?

You would eliminate the right to self protection because someone doesn't "perceive" it as being OK while admitting to letting "hypocrites" have Second Amendment rights?

You feel like the guy is a "bozo" because he was doing his job? He was a neighborhood watchman. He used his gun to defend himself. What exactly do you know about the case, other than what you have read from news sources?

Here you are on a gun board using the logic of an anti-gunner and sounding just like one. Are you sure where you stand?
    Boy, talk about putting words in ones mouth. Do you want me to back through the points again or are you going to change my words and intent again. OK I will try:
    1. I sure do think it is OK for Mr. Crosby to express his 2A rights as well as his 1st A rights. If that makes him a hypocrit, idiot, selfess rich guy it con't matter. He is a private citizen. I don't give a hoot what celeberties say. Same as I don't care for some comments that pro 2A folks say. When did I say because he is rich? Oh, I didn't. You put those words in my mouth.

2. I did not say to eliminate anybody's rights. But a lot of Neighborhood Watches do not allow firearms. So that was not my idea nor words. It is the reasoning of the Neighborhood watches that prohibit firearms. And in this situation, Z is psuedo working on behalf of the the home owners association. If they or any HOA want to limit possible liability it would be up to them to define what a Neighborhood wath person can and can not do. What he does on his own time is up to him. It is not infinging on anything unless. Same as having guns prohibited in the work place. (OK that is considered to be infringing but upheld by state laws)

3. Yes, I feel the guy is a bozo. We don't want to go through the Z case but he used poor judgement at least at the beginning of this fiasco. And I beleive (my opinion) this idiot (like that word better) would not have been so bold to exit his vehicle if he was not armed. And his job as Neighborhood Watch was to report to police and leave it up to them. So THAT was his job. His job was to NOT exit the vehicle.

And I am pretty sure that after reading my post you know darn well I am pro 2A. To say otherwise is ridiculus.
    Problem is I make a statement and you infer my post to fit you reality. I know exactly where I stand. And I know exactly what I wrote and how you misconstrued it.

Ya know what. My wife said I would have a hard time dealing with folks when I left SOCOM. When my team or I said something it was at face value. We never looked into under lining meanings. Because there were none. If I post something there is nothing hidden. And you can not say you try to re phrase my words. Your first point, which I will address again, said I think it is OK for Cosby to have a gun becasue he is rich. I never said that. Now you might try to say well, beasue he is rich he has special privelege. Be that as it may. But those would be your words and possibly true. But it had ZERO to do with what I said.
    bklynboy, rickohio and PatAz like this.

I pay as much heed to Bill Cosby's opinion as I do Alec Baldwin or Barbra Streisand.

So if that's true...............then how does a Bill Cosby get a NYC CCL.....?

Explain please............

Actually, I don't know if any of you remember this, but there was an episode of the Cosby show that covered the issue of neighborhood watch and guns. They made the point that "watch" meant "watch," not "shoot." Kind of interesting in light of recent events and Cosby's recent comments huh?
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Although I can not agree with everything Bill COSBY (not Crosby) has said about guns, I also find myself thinking about the actions taken and how it related to the gun in a case that wasn't supposed to be discussed here anymore. Was the person that defended himself "emboldened" (sp?) by the fact that he carried the gun? I do not have the ability to get in his head and find out so I can not say. Neighborhood watch does mean WATCH and REPORT - but I will be damned if I have my right taken away from me while volunteering and acting on my own personal time.

Bill Cosby has a long and honorable history of speaking his mind and making members of his own racial community very mad. He uses his 1st amendment right thoughtfully and effectively, and although I may not have to fully agree with his position, he is a man I will at least give the respect deserved and listened to. At least what he says is intelligent and not blabbering gibberish like others that claim to be "Men of God, Reverends, etc. of the same community.
    suntzu, discoboxer and Tzadik like this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    He also said (IIRC) "When a person gets a gun, it's because he wants to kill someone."

That was not my reasoning, but if someone is about to kill me or my loved ones I certainly DO want to be able to stop the threat. And I want to do so decisively and efficiently. Sure, I mighy be able to stop the threat with a tire iron, but when I carry one concealed I print terribly (especially with those 'cross' style ones). I carry a gun when and where I can because it is indeed the best tool for stopping a lethal threat.

It is fascinating to me how much truth is embedded within the arguments of the anti-2A crowd - sure, they spin it funny and I disagree with their conclusions, but many of the assumptions and side meanings are legit. Did I buy a gun because I *want* to kill someone? No. Did I buy one because I wanted to be ABLE to kill someone if that would save the life of my wife or daughter? Well, actually, yes. And guns are SUPPOSED to be dangerous - to the bad guy!

Last line for the overzealous who might read more into my remark above than I intend: I'll certainly not kill an attacker if he has ceased being a threat. I'm a protector of self and family, not a soldier in the battlefield, an executioner carrying out the sentence of the court, a vigilante out for blood, nor a legit Neighborhood Watch member who got in over his head. [I'm deliberately leaving options open for the current case - I am not qualified to characterize it based on two quickly-read web articles, a few forum posts, and incisive analyses by a stand-up comedian and our president. But I repeat myself.]
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    Bill Cosby, Jane Fonda, Sean Penn, whatever...

Blathering media icons may draw conversation due to their over-exposure, but there is no logical reason to acknowledge a single word that falls out of their pie holes.

Reminder: They are actors and entertainers. We may as well be discussing what SpongeBob says.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    He also said (IIRC) "When a person gets a gun, it's because he wants to kill someone."

That was not my reasoning, but if someone is about to kill me or my loved ones I certainly DO want to be able to stop the threat. And I want to do so decisively and efficiently. Sure, I mighy be able to stop the threat with a tire iron, but when I carry one concealed I print terribly (especially with those 'cross' style ones). I carry a gun when and where I can because it is indeed the best tool for stopping a lethal threat.

It is fascinating to me how much truth is embedded within the arguments of the anti-2A crowd - sure, they spin it funny and I disagree with their conclusions, but many of the assumptions and side meanings are legit. Did I buy a gun because I *want* to kill someone? No. Did I buy one because I wanted to be ABLE to kill someone if that would save the life of my wife or daughter? Well, actually, yes. And guns are SUPPOSED to be dangerous - to the bad guy!

Last line for the overzealous who might read more into my remark above than I intend: I'll certainly not kill an attacker if he has ceased being a threat. I'm a protector of self and family, not a soldier in the battlefield, an executioner carrying out the sentence of the court, a vigilante out for blood, nor a legit Neighborhood Watch member who got in over his head. [I'm deliberately leaving options open for the current case - I am not qualified to characterize it based on two quickly-read web articles, a few forum posts, and incisive analyses by a stand-up comedian and our president. But I repeat myself.]
    There are truths embedded in all effective (good) lies. That's what makes them effective and believable... But make no mistake, we of the pro-gun crowd use them as well...

Drunk drivers have killed a lot of folks... We ought to ban alcoholic beverages. If prohibition had not been repealed, we would not have so many killed by drunk drivers. If we can't do that, (ban alcohol again) then let's restrict it's use, and make onerous laws for those who drink and drive...

The arguments are the same... replace "alcoholic beverages" with "guns" tweak a few more words, and you have the same story.

The article linked to by the OP mentions the "Iron Pipeline" of guns into the city... Problem is, the "Iron Pipeline" is as illegal as the underground railroad was back in that day. The only difference is, the "railroad" was designed to help people become "people" instead of chattel. The "Iron Pipeline" is devised by criminals to help themselves and other criminals perpetrate their crimes. As long as guns are illegal in NYC (for the most part) they will continue to flow in illegally... and law abiding citizens will be victimized by them.

There are no restrictions on the number of guns owned by criminals, there are no restrictions on the type of guns owned by criminals. Chicago and NYC are the best examples we have that gun control does not work. And D.C. is up there too, still; even after Heller.

Detroit... now look at Detroit... Violent Crime and murder are up significantly in 2011 over 2010. Could the antis say that Detroit is proof that "Shall Issue" and the availability of guns is responsible for the crime in Detroit? You bet they could, and they might have as valid a case as we do by citing NYC and Chicago. (saying nothing of the difference in contributing factors like police forces, fiscal problems etc.)

But, the bottom line is this. Shall issue and the availability of guns gives the common man the ability to defend himself against the gun the criminal has or can get more easily, and inexpensively, than the law abiding citizen (shall issue or not). The police are not able to be where we need them to be all the time...

My gut feeling is that we will see an uptick in crime (violent crime) when the next UCR comes out. I'm sure the anti's will ignore all the other causes of that likelihood, and pin it directly on the increase in shall issue, SYG laws, and the lapsing of the AWB.

It intrigues me that in the nationally covered case in Florida, most everyone is saying that the state must prove the Neighborhood Watchman committed an illegal homicide... as though they would not have to prove it if he were indeed a criminal. The onus of proof is always on the accuser, either through a preponderance of the evidence in a civil trial, or beyond a reasonable doubt in a criminal action. That is what makes our justice system work. SYG or not.
    smolck likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Well, everyone has a right to express their own opinion (unless it interferes with government business, don'cha know). IMO nobody has the right to tell me I can't defend myself, period. Until the facts are disclosed by the investigation, comments by the glitterati, flash mobs, and the media are inappropriate and divisive. Cosby has said some important and relevant things about problems in society, especially about dysfunctional black families. However, I strongly disagree with him on this occasion. I wonder if he himself would carry his gun if he were on a neighborhood watch detail. In a sense, aren't we all on a continual watch?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Detroit... now look at Detroit... Violent Crime and murder are up significantly in 2011 over 2010. Could the antis say that Detroit is proof that "Shall Issue" and the availability of guns is responsible for the crime in Detroit? You bet they could, and they might have as valid a case as we do by citing NYC and Chicago. (saying nothing of the difference in contributing factors like police forces, fiscal problems etc.)
    Justified Homicide in Detroit is up 79% those figures are included in the murder rate. So they could, but it wouldnt get very far.

As for Bill Cosby. He should stick to Jello commercials.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

OD*
    ....the use of a lie so "colossal" that no one would believe that someone "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously."
    1925, Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler.
    Pistology likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links