Concealed Carry Question

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to concealed carrying. OK, I could only afford a Hi Point C-9. I like it a lot, and it shoots great. My ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Question

Concealed Carry Question

I am new to concealed carrying. OK, I could only afford a Hi Point C-9. I like it a lot, and it shoots great. My question, I carry it with a full magazine, but with nothing in the chamber. I have heard pros and cons about having a chambered round. What is the general concensus on this board? I have an IWB Hk by Holster Kings. It works great.

2. Remove Ads

I'm against it, but you will find like minded who carry on an empty chamber and their reasons why. IMO most fights are engaged at 21' feet or less, and only last 3-5 seconds on average.. I don't want to think about more than I have too..
    Especially if it's a CQB encounter and I have to use my offhand to block the offending attack. Force on Force training will teach you more on that.
    Look up Rob Pincus or Defensive Network Training on YouTube.
    CountryGal likes this.

Its your life and your call. I have a chambered round.

As with questions such as which holster, ammo, weapon, etc..... You will get many answers (pros and cons) and in the end you will make a decision that you feel will work for you. Most times there is really no one right answer.

Good luck and welcome to posting.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Start carrying with one in the pipe and get comfortable with it. What happens if you get in a situation where your off hand is disabled before you are able to draw your weapon? You are SOL because you won't be able to rack the slide to load a round in the chamber. It is perfectly safe to carry with one in the chamber as long as you have a decent holster and follow the rules of gun safety.

VIP Member
    Use the search function, you'll find hundreds of threads on this subject. The vast majority of folks here do not favor, or recommend carrying with an empty chamber. Think of it this way, would you try to fight a fire with an empty fire extinguisher?

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Carry with one in the pipe...it literally could save your life! If you get into a situation, you may not have time to rack your slide to save your life OR carry a revolver(you won't have to rack the slide).
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

When I first carried my SIG SP2022 I did so with an empty chamber but I was still acclimating to the side arm as it has no traditional safeties. I think it was the second time and beyond when I started to carry with one in the pipe.

I favor having a round chambered for the reasons mentioned above.
    Four Rugers, three SIG Sauers; my SP101 3-1/16" .357 is shown in my avatar. I like reliability.

Be sure you are fully aquaited with your weapon before you start carrying with a round chambered. Alot of accidental shootings "shooting yourself in the leg" ect. happen because of silly mistakes. Being an old man with arthritus in my hands I carry a revolver just point and shoot no safety no rack a round and so on. I feel safer with myself.

Rich

I think it's reported that the firing pin is not blocked (striker fired mechanism). Because of that reason, some might not recommend carrying with one in the chamber. Probably not a problem to carry one in the chamber unless you might drop the gun from a good height. Carry in a strongside holster and not appendix carry. If it goes off, at least it will be towards the ground and away from you.

Carrying with nothing in the chamber means extra time on the draw and that you also need both hands free. There can be times that you may only have one hand available such as fighting off someone with the off hand in a close encounter or maybe occupied holding a child with one hand.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I think you'll find (search it out sometime) that about 94% of the folks here would advocate for keeping a round chambered. I ended up with the majority.

The determining factor should be you & your firearm.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

If you are going to carry a gun you really should carry with one in the chamber.

I struggled with this out of the gate too. To get started, I carried with an IWB with an empty mag for about 3 weeks, just to get used to carrying a gun on my person and having zero chance of making an error. Then I began to carry without chambering a round so that I could get used to the additional weight from the ammo. Maybe 3 or 4 months later I was comfortable enough to carry with a chambered round and now have a great deal of confidence doing so.

For me, I like to visually confirm that I have successfully chambered the round before holstering my weapon. If I were to plan on chambering the round while under attack, I would worry that I may draw and unloaded gun and initiate fire from the bad guy.

I think most agree that having one in the pipe is your best defense, but not everyone is comfortable doing so. All said, it’s just whatever you feel the most comfortable with. If you’re not comfortable with one in the pipe; don’t do it.

My first suggestion is to start carrying chambered. Fewer actions you have to remember to - and successfully manage to - perform in an emergency. Second suggestion is to save money and get a new gun. I understand you can only get what you can afford, but you need to think about moving on at some point.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Watch this video and then make the decision you feel comfortable with.

Should You Carry A Round In The Chamber? - YouTube
    turboer likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links