The Reason Why EMS Should Be Allowed to Carry Weapons

This is a discussion on The Reason Why EMS Should Be Allowed to Carry Weapons within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saw this and really don't know what to make of it just yet. It does however show a need for Emergency Service workers to be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Reason Why EMS Should Be Allowed to Carry Weapons

The Reason Why EMS Should Be Allowed to Carry Weapons

Saw this and really don't know what to make of it just yet. It does however show a need for Emergency Service workers to be armed. Why most of them are denied the right to do so makes no sense.

Man Accused of Stabbing EMS Worker, Stealing Ambulance
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Just another worthless dirtbag, and they are everywhere...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Maybe we could ship him to Florida and give him some quality time with some hungry 'Gators? I'm just saying.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Maybe we could ship him to Florida and give him some quality time with some hungry 'Gators? I'm just saying.
    Heck, ship him to OK and give him some quality time with me and my ex-Army Special Forces combat medic buddy.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Probably not a reason for EMS providers to be armed..... More a case for better situational awareness and defensive tactics.
    Not enough information to know exactly what happened but if they couldn't keep a pair of scissors from him adding a firearm probably wouldn't of helped.

Sent from this... Using that...
    Cory1022 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Heck, ship him to OK and give him some quality time with me and my ex-Army Special Forces combat medic buddy.
    Goat lab?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

My niece's husband who lives in Northern Indiana is an EMT on Life Flight for a local hospital there. He told me a couple of years ago that his crew occasionally gets shot at when picking up accident victims. He has guns and would carry one if allowed by his employer...... A real shame that people in harms way can't defend themselves.

I've addressed this issue in another thread. If you allow ems providers to be armed it would need to be by statute, not simply permission. Since the vast majority of ems providers are not officers they do not have the ability to carry into restricted zones such as jails, post offices, etc. If you choose to carry inspite of this you have the added complication of how to secure the firearm in your unit while you enter such a location.

Personally I chose to split the difference. I wore body armor with stab protection daily (also good for injury prevention in an auto crash, of which I am living proof). I also had a tazer C2 that I carried. It was against company policy but that would be much easier to justify if I had to use it, and I didn't feel uncomfortable about putting it in my bag if
    I needed to go to a weapon free zone.

Over the 10 years I worked EMS I was shot at twice, and attacked with knives twice. I understand the concern, but I'm not convinced that packing heat is the answer.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Hey, not all Paramedics are dirtbags! JK!
    --------

I could go for Tasers but I would prefer both!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Would that "quality time" be something like taking him to your local long distance range, setting him at the 10 yard line and telling him: "Run, and good luck Dirtbag."???
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by kinoons View Post
    I've addressed this issue in another thread. If you allow ems providers to be armed it would need to be by statute, not simply permission. Since the vast majority of ems providers are not officers they do not have the ability to carry into restricted zones such as jails, post offices, etc. If you choose to carry inspite of this you have the added complication of how to secure the firearm in your unit while you enter such a location.

Personally I chose to split the difference. I wore body armor with stab protection daily (also good for injury prevention in an auto crash, of which I am living proof). I also had a tazer C2 that I carried. It was against company policy but that would be much easier to justify if I had to use it, and I didn't feel uncomfortable about putting it in my bag if
    I needed to go to a weapon free zone.

Over the 10 years I worked EMS I was shot at twice, and attacked with knives twice. I understand the concern, but I'm not convinced that packing heat is the answer.
    Yeah, Hospitals are a no carry zone around here to, so securing a definite problem. As far as packing heat being the answer or not...the same is true of anyone in any profession/hobby/state of life. I'm just saying that EMS personnel shouldn't be excluded from the right that every other citizen in the state has.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Would that "quality time" be something like taking him to your local long distance range, setting him at the 10 yard line and telling him: "Run, and good luck Dirtbag."???
    Jackal-1st-400x170.jpg
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

We didn't even wear vests when I started in Hartford in the 80's. Situational awareness and Maglites, and a heavy clipboard. I carried CapStun when it came out, against policy (different city), but I was willing to take that chance. I knew guys who carried, I always thought that if the skels knew we were carrying, they would ambush anyone, and you knew not everyone could or would carry. We watched each others' backs, even across company lines.

PM
    Where I trained we were told on the QT "O2 bottles worked well for defense"!

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Saw this and really don't know what to make of it just yet. It does however show a need for Emergency Service workers to be armed. Why most of them are denied the right to do so makes no sense.

Man Accused of Stabbing EMS Worker, Stealing Ambulance
    It makes perfect sense if you are the company that hired them. If they do something wrong with that firearm its not them that will be sued. It will be you, the one with the deep pockets that the lawyers will go after.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links