Statistics of winning the lottery vs armed

This is a discussion on Statistics of winning the lottery vs armed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This past weekend my girlfriend's daughter was home and she saw me putting my G23 IWB when getting ready to leave the house. She asked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Statistics of winning the lottery vs armed

Statistics of winning the lottery vs armed

This past weekend my girlfriend's daughter was home and she saw me putting my G23 IWB when getting ready to leave the house. She asked about why I carry. I gave her my standard explanation about the comparison between fire extinguishers and guns in the house because it may be too late by the time the fire department/police arrive, and that when seconds count, police are minutes away.

Afterwards, I was thinking about the "it won't happen to me" mentality of some people. People buy lottery tickets with the hope of winning even though the odds are something like 1 in 150 million or so, yet they think that violent crime won't happen to them. I did some searching and found that your chances of being a victim of violent crime are almost 832,000 times higher than winning the lottery. It doesn't make sense to me that people would play the lottery and still think that there is no need to own or carry a gun. These same people I am referring to usually don't watch the news and are oblivious to the violent crime going on around us.

Source: Hitting the Lottery
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I would still rather hit the lottery than be the victim of a violent crime. That's why I play.
    marcclarke, jerp and DMan like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Oh boy. Another thread with stats. Where is my popcorn and lounge chair LOL. I don't give a hoot what the odds are in NYC or Chicago for an individual that may or may not live a life style that increases their odds of violent crime. Ya know why? Because those stats do not equate to where I live, vacation, and travel and my lifestyle and training. Ergo......stats like the one stated are not representative of each and everyone's life..

And I play the lottery for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Oh boy. Another thread with stats. Where is my popcorn and lounge chair LOL. I don't give a hoot what the odds are in NYC or Chicago for an individual that may or may not live a life style that increases their odds of violent crime. Ya know why? Because those stats do not equate to where I live, vacation, and travel and my lifestyle and training. Ergo......stats like the one stated are not representative of each and everyone's life..

And I play the lottery for fun.
    Yes, the stats are different based on age, location, lifestyle, choices, etc.

I play the lottery as well. I just don't get how some people choose to stick their head in the sand, but that's their choice. My choice is to look for the best that life has to offer and prepare for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I would still rather hit the lottery than be the victim of a violent crime. That's why I play.
    Right. I play the lottery as well as carry. I wasn't saying that you shouldn't play the lottery because of the odds. I was just pointing this out because some people (who don't agree with concealed carry) seem to have unrealistic expectations IMHO.
    Sledge likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    Right. I play the lottery as well as carry. I wasn't saying that you shouldn't play the lottery because of the odds. I was just pointing this out because some people (who don't agree with concealed carry) seem to have unrealistic expectations IMHO.
    My reply was meant to be light hearted humor. I agree with your post.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I need to by a lotto ticket...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

So what he is trying to say is if you win the lottery you better carry...
    jerp likes this.

I call the lottery a stupid tax. Sorry folks who play, that's just how I see it.
    Mike1956 and gigamortis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I call the lottery a stupid tax. Sorry folks who play, that's just how I see it.
    Kill joy What are you trying to say? I am sitting here right now with a winning 5 dollar ticket. It was well worth the 52 dollars it took over the last year to win it!
    Badey, sdprof and JoJoGunn like this.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Food for though. Even if the numbers are a little off one way or the other, still a pretty good point.

Thanks for posting.

I don't play the lottery, and I don't gamble with my safety.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

I'm thinking that I should start buying more ammo for target practice instead of lottery tickets.

I'm thinking that I should start buying more ammo for target practice instead of lottery tickets.
    But you can't win $300 million with a 9mm round.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Can you buy lottery tickets at the same place you buy ammo?

That's a winning deal.
    jerp likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

I'll drop a buck here or there from time to time. Sometimes it works out. Example: I walked into my favorite bar one night with $20. Bought a beer and a pizza. Decided to gamble with $5 in pull tabs. Needless to say had 4 beers that night, the pizza and walked home with $30.

However that is an interesting point you made. Yes, it all depends on life style, where you live, what you do, and where you go. But isnt it funny that more people in big cities buy more lotto tickets, and oppose guns more? In the city crime rate is higher so your odds are better of a violent crime than winning the lotto, yet they take that chance with their own safety. I see the point you are making. Thanks for the post.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links