what's considered OVERKILL when concealing?

This is a discussion on what's considered OVERKILL when concealing? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is carrying 2 guns (Compact + back up sub/ultra compact) + pocket knife considered OVERKILL? I've carried my G19 as my main gun and my ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: what's considered OVERKILL when concealing?

Is carrying 2 guns (Compact + back up sub/ultra compact) + pocket knife considered OVERKILL? I've carried my G19 as my main gun and my Beretta Nano as a back up hidden else where on my body. Debating if i should leave the Nano or G19 (Depending on weather) at home and carry a 3.5" folding pocket knife OR carry all 3..

A lot of people carry BUGs. And my knife isn't a weapon, it's a tool. I have ZERO desire to get in a knife fight. If the situation warrants me using a knife against someone, I'll just use a gun instead. If we're down to using deadly force I'm using the one that keeps me as far away from the other guy's pointy thing as possible. I'd call it overkill once you start concealing explosive devices.
    Xader likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    I don't carry more than I can control in a scuffle.

A gun and a BUG isn't overkill.
    A knife isn't overkill.
    A non-lethal defense is smart, not overkill.
    Back up mags aren't overkill.

I guess it depends on your level of preparation, your possibility of a social encounter, and your willingness to deal with issues. While I make every effort to avoid potential conflicts and I would be the first to retreat from a potential threat situation, I carry a lot more on a trip to town than I do on a Sunday morning in church. I carry a lot more in urban areas than I do in the country. But, I always have a gun.
    Bark'n and The Old Anglo like this.

Unless you are in a high threat level job, where you are purposefully and continually placing yourself in high risk situations, around high risk criminal people, yes, I consider it not just overkill, but bizarre.

For most all Joe and Suzie citizen types going about their daily lives, in clean little suburban neighborhoods with trips to the local yuppie grocer, one firearm, with an a less than lethal option is going to be plenty.

Alot of wannabes and GI Joes are gonna get their feelings hurt by this, but it's reality time...Hello!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

No, a primary and a BUG aren't overkill in my opinion. Nor is adding a non-lethal alternative like pepper spray. I don't carry a knife but I don't see that as a problem either.

Now carrying 3 or more guns, that's where someone is crossing the threshold to overkill.
    Eagleks likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Unless you are in a high threat level job, where you are purposefully and continually placing yourself in high risk situations, around high risk criminal people, yes, I consider it not just overkill, but bizarre.

For most all Joe and Suzie citizen types going about their daily lives, in clean little suburban neighborhoods with trips to the local yuppie grocer, one firearm, with an a less than lethal option is going to be plenty.

Alot of wannabes and GI Joes are gonna get their feelings hurt by this, but it's reality time...Hello!
    But GI Joe is a real American hero....
    kerberos, Sledge and Outer_Heaven like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    Carrying a couple of these might be considered overkill.

Redirect Notice
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I carry my full size M&P, 2 extra mags, and a small 18 gram can of OC spray. Carry whatever you're comfortable with, but I think it would be better to carry just one firearm at a time.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    But GI Joe is a real American hero....
    True that! But he really goes into harms way as part of his job.
    Outer_Heaven likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Definitely not overkill. I carry a primary and a backup, and a small tactical flashlight if I am going to be out after dark.

The backup isn't for more firepower, it is in case of a malfunction of my primary. I figure, I already carry, even though it is highly unlikely that I will ever need my firearm, so why not play boy scout, and be prepared in case of a highly malfunction as well...
    Last edited by Badey; April 12th, 2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: clarity
    DC and ep1953 like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Carrying a couple of these might be considered overkill.

Redirect Notice
    Please don't give people any ideas! :)
    I bet there are people who would attempt to carry that.

The older I get, the less I carry. I always have my SA XD40 SC with me, if I'm going into Chester, PA, Philadelphia, PA, or Wilmington, DE, I'll also have my S&W Airweight with me as well.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

GI Joe kidding aside. G man is right. The mistake most CCW holders make, is they get gear oriented, instead of training oriented. Gear can be kewl, but when it hits the fan, you better know what you are doing. Otherwise you will fail....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

True that! But he really goes into harms way as part of his job.
    Almost forgot...YO JOE.....

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links