Is "following someone" really illegal?

This is a discussion on Is "following someone" really illegal? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Without mentioning any particular current news topic, here's a question that I think DOES warrant discussion: Is "following someone" illegal? Isn't that exactly what "private ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Is "following someone" really illegal?

Without mentioning any particular current news topic, here's a question that I think DOES warrant discussion:

Is "following someone" illegal? Isn't that exactly what "private eyes" have always done? If any citizen decides to follow someone(for whatever reason), while occupying locations where he is legally allowed to be, and without confronting them in any way, is that illegal? I don't think so.
    Last edited by rstickle; April 14th, 2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Unneeded comment

Well, I'll get mine in before the mods visit. Following someone is not illegal, generally speaking. It can, however, be very, very unwise.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array accessbob's Avatar
    It may cross over to illegal if it satisfies the definition of "stalking" or "harrassment." But generally I would think that it isn't, but I haven't researched that at all.
    GunTrooper likes this.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

i would say depending on the reason(s) as to why you are following the individual..???

Only if they're a cop. Don't take their picture either.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    I know this will probably draw some heat from LEO members here but.....why cant you follow a cop? we pay their salary, shouldn't we be able to see how our money is being spent? With great power comes great responsibility.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

yes you can follow anybody even a cop as long as you are wearing your CCW badge holder or CCW sash.
    Badey, Secret Spuk and darbo like this.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

No, it's when you interfere with them that it gets to be an issue.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

There is a difference in observation and interference, or impeding someone's ability to move or function. Ya gotta be smart enough to get that part down.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

NMB
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc0311 View Post
    I know this will probably draw some heat from LEO members here but.....why cant you follow a cop? we pay their salary, shouldn't we be able to see how our money is being spent?
    Why follow them? Just go to the station and fill out a form, you can sit in their passenger seat all night if it floats your boat.

#ridealong
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

NMB
    I would GUESS its not a crime so long as you arent impeding them in any way. (thinking of paparazzi and celebrities).

It all comes down to who initiates a physical altercation and where it goes from there I guess.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0311 View Post
    I know this will probably draw some heat from LEO members here but.....why cant you follow a cop? we pay their salary, shouldn't we be able to see how our money is being spent?
    Police officers have been selected for murder because of their profession. Although I know of no law against following a police officer, I bet if I was still active duty and you followed me, I could find a violation of a traffic law to charge you with after a couple of blocks. I remember an officer who used to like to pace someone from in front. The citizen claimed he was only going as fast as the officer. The officer told the judge he saw the vehicle approaching his vehicle from the rear when he was going the speed limit. This meant the citizen was speeding. He increased his speed until their vehicles were going the same speed. Then he "paced from in front" and stopped the vehicle and ticketed it. The citizen paid the fine.

There is no law saying you can not reach under your seat at a traffic stop, try it the next time you get stopped. Then let us know how you made out. Some things are just not to smart.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    So, an officer with a badge can make up a reason or "find" one to have you stop following him but a citizen who might be in danger can not do squat. Is that what you are saying?
    sgb, mcgyver210 and jag06 like this.

I dont make a habit of it but if I see a cop blatantly ignoring traffic laws (turning or changing lanes without blinkers, running stop signs, using blue lights just so they don't have to sit through a traffic light, littering, parking in no parking zones when they are off duty and picking up extra work as security at the local grocery store, not yielding to pedestrians....... and yes i regularly see cops do this) then i will follow them to the next stop light, roll down my window and ask them why they feel that they are so special that they do not have to follow the rules like everyone else- the same rules we pay them to enforce.

Lack of integrity, hypocrisy, abuse of power

I just feel like someone should call them out on it
    mcgyver210 likes this.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    So, an officer with a badge can make up a reason or "find" one to have you stop following him but a citizen who might be in danger can not do squat. Is that what you are saying?

Ummmmm...ya think? Welcome to Amerika. "Serve and Protect" is long gone.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links