Bill Would Allow Nebraska Teachers to Carry Guns

This is a discussion on Bill Would Allow Nebraska Teachers to Carry Guns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by suntzu I am all for teachers carrying but nor for the reasons folks are saying. They should carry because it is there ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Bill Would Allow Nebraska Teachers to Carry Guns

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I am all for teachers carrying but nor for the reasons folks are saying. They should carry because it is there right. PERIOD. As far as the teacher being able to take down an active shooter. Sure great. But not everybody has a gun knows what they are doing. Yup, it is true. Hard to believe right. The teacher may or may not get the BG, Or the teacher might shoot another teacher or shoot a student. Or get shot by the resource officer or by the LEO's that show up. Picture a cafeteria situation. 1 active shooter with 10 adults with no training drawing their guns with a bunch of screaming students running about. The other thing is the gun is usually for personal protection. Not to be a security guard. Things may work out well or could turn into a worse situation (if that is possible). Now, before I get yelled yet re-read my first sentence.

And I do have a personal interest in it. I am a subsitute teacher. Wife is a school nurse. And son is in HS.
    Very true. We should do away with MOST "gun free zones". The ordinary citizen going about their business on an ordinary day should not have to disarm to:
    1. go to the post office
    2. renew their driver's license
    3. pick up their child from school
    4. visit a friend in the hospital
    5. eat at a restaurant that serves mixed drinks
    etc, etc, etc.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I have mixed feelings on this. Due to the 2A, no one should have to do anything other than be a citizen to carry a gun. However, when the teachers are working in close quarters with students all day, I would hate for some idiot to injure someone with a negligent discharge...
    Or some degenerate going for the teacher's weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Or some degenerate going for the teacher's weapon?
    Good call. Maybe some retention training, at least, should be suggested.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Those that have the permits might be able to prevent a mass slaughter. Yeah, they might get shot by a cop. Yeah, they might have to shoot a student or an irate parent. Yeah, they might even have to shoot another teacher. Its a dirty nasty and dangerous job but at least they are there on the spot when the cops are minutes away.
    You never know who might need shot. This is just one example of events around these parts in the last few years where a teacher may have been able to defend themselves had they been armed.

Two shot at Inskip school; teacher being held on charges Knoxville News Sentinel

I already have to be certified to teach (no reciprocity between states), and even do continuing education to be able to continue teaching. I would have no problem if a district required training on retention and some more advanced pistol training.

My dress when doing teaching stuff is usually a suit, or at the very least a sportcoat and nice jeans, so there would be little opportunity for anyone other than the higher-ups to know I'm carrying.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    What about students? When will they be able to excercise their rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    What about students? When will they be able to excercise their rights?
    Are they 18? If so, then why shouldn't they be allowed to? I'm sure that this may be viewed as extreme, even on here, but a right is a right, period IMO.
    Last edited by Badey; April 14th, 2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: add
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Training, I believe, is the answer here. I am sure that LE would be willing to put together an adequate training program. As others have pointed out, a well-trained and responsible teacher may be the best chance our children have in a school shooting situation - not as the person to chase down the BG, but as someone who can protect the students under their care.

I believe private gun ownership is a right in this country, along with others. I also believe that our rights are garaunteed as long as they do not infringe upon the rights of others. Unsafe gun handling of any weapon is, IMO, an infringement on the rights of others and a disservice to the vast majority of gun owners who are safe. We who carry guns also carry the responsibility to use them correctly and safely.

Speaking of training, when I was growing up a gun safety course was pretty much manditory for every child. My kids - nope! I have to teach them myself, in case they find themselves in the presence/home of a careless gun owner and so that they know how to handle both the situation and the gun safely. Not teaching gun safety to children is akin to teaching abstinence only to children - sooner or later someone is going to end up shot or pregnant because a few people were too afraid to teach them about real-life and consequences.

So, teachers with CC guns in school? Yes, with proper training. While we are at it, we should institute gun safety as part of the curriculum.
    Toorop likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links