Bill Would Allow Nebraska Teachers to Carry Guns

This is a discussion on Bill Would Allow Nebraska Teachers to Carry Guns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bill Would Allow Nebraska Teachers to Carry Guns Two weeks after a school gunman killed his vice principal and injured the principal, a state lawmaker ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Bill Would Allow Nebraska Teachers to Carry Guns

Two weeks after a school gunman killed his vice principal and injured the principal, a state lawmaker is seeking to allow school administrators, teachers and security personnel to carry concealed handguns in school.
    Full Bill.
    http://nebraskalegislature.gov/Floor...ntro/LB518.pdf

This has been discussed before but one thing about it bothers me. Aren't these the same people who consider a crayon drawing of a firearm to be the same as a real gun? The same ones who think that a child pointing his finger and saying bang is the same thing as actually shooting someone?

Could anyone who has these beliefs be trusted to carry a real firearm? I would be afraid that they might feel threatened and draw their weapon if they were to see a child drawing a picture of a gun.

Michael

It is my understanding that they can already do this in UT without problems...should be the same everywhere else.
    I have no problems with it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    This has been discussed before but one thing about it bothers me. Aren't these the same people who consider a crayon drawing of a firearm to be the same as a real gun? The same ones who think that a child pointing his finger and saying bang is the same thing as actually shooting someone?

Could anyone who has these beliefs be trusted to carry a real firearm? I would be afraid that they might feel threatened and draw their weapon if they were to see a child drawing a picture of a gun.

Michael
    Just because there are a few proverbial "bad apples" out there doesn't mean that a lot of teachers are that crazy. I know a lot of pro 2A teachers here in Pennsylvania.

I hope the bill passes and more states follow suit.
    surefire7 and oneshot like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Senior Moderator
    Lots of teachers in this town have their CHL's and most of the ones that I know are pro-gun.

I'd like to see teachers be able to carry, or at least have access to one for several reasons.

If you have ever done an "active shooter scenario" at a local school, you'll know some of the reasons.
    surefire7 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I am all for teachers carrying but nor for the reasons folks are saying. They should carry because it is there right. PERIOD. As far as the teacher being able to take down an active shooter. Sure great. But not everybody has a gun knows what they are doing. Yup, it is true. Hard to believe right. The teacher may or may not get the BG, Or the teacher might shoot another teacher or shoot a student. Or get shot by the resource officer or by the LEO's that show up. Picture a cafeteria situation. 1 active shooter with 10 adults with no training drawing their guns with a bunch of screaming students running about. The other thing is the gun is usually for personal protection. Not to be a security guard. Things may work out well or could turn into a worse situation (if that is possible). Now, before I get yelled yet re-read my first sentence.

And I do have a personal interest in it. I am a subsitute teacher. Wife is a school nurse. And son is in HS.
    ep1953 likes this.

In this day and age of possible active shooters in schools it only makes sense to do so, the "lock-down" the school mentality, imo, is absurd, unless the threat is outside the school. After the most recent school shooting event in Ohio (it was Ohio right?), I had a long talk with my daughter about what to do. I told her that if she hears a gun shot in the school, she is to run the opposite direction, exiting the school anyway she can (door or window) and to run home to our house or her Aunts house, both of which are close enough for her to walk.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

I have no problem with it,but in that environment would like to see them pass a training course
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This bill did not pass, and probably never will in Nebraska. FWIW

Senior Moderator
    But not everybody has a gun knows what they are doing. Yup, it is true
    Thats always the case isnt it?

The teacher may or may not get the BG, Or the teacher might shoot another teacher or shoot a student
    I doubt it. Unless they need to be shot.Often times its the students that need to be shot.

We could "what if" this one to death with a multitude of reasons. Fact of the matter is, what we are doing now is not working. Any time you establish rules that enable a shooter to win, it encourages more events. Ensuring that an are is a "gun free" place just turns it into a target rich environment where a shooter is just about guaranteed to kill at least a few people ranks right up there with some of the stupidest things that we as a so called "modern civilization" has ever done.

Yeah, it'd be mass pandemonium for sure. Perhaps a bit of additional training would be in order.
    To disallow teachers the right to defend themselves for any reason is crazy. Using any excuse NOT to because of something that might happen is also insane.

Not all teachers are capable I'm sure. Lots of them are liberal panytwaists that you would find curled up in the fetal position underneath their desks. Thats fine, leave them there in their own puddles,at least it'll keep them out of the way.

Those that have the permits might be able to prevent a mass slaughter. Yeah, they might get shot by a cop. Yeah, they might have to shoot a student or an irate parent. Yeah, they might even have to shoot another teacher. Its a dirty nasty and dangerous job but at least they are there on the spot when the cops are minutes away. They know the layout of the school. They know the other teachers. They know the kids. There is no one more suited as a first responder than a teacher with the right mindset to do what is needed. My wife has been teaching for 34 years. I have a lot of friends that are teachers. I have put many of them through the CHL class. We have talked about this very thing and the one with the permits would prefer to be armed.

I will say this...if I got a call on the radio calling all units to respond to an active shooter scenario, knowing that some of the teachers are armed and knowing the teachers personallywould make me feel better than knowing a shooter was on a killing spree that went unchecked until the police got there.

There are more good reasons to arm a teacher than there are to not arm one.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Removing the prohibition from anyone carrying concealed on school grounds would have been my preference, but Husker is right. Nebraska is decidedly mediocre when it comes to 2A rights, and an increasingly liberal Omaha isn't helping.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Thats always the case isnt it?
    I suppose that is sarcasm for me speaking a truism

Perhaps a bit of additional training would be in order.
    I am all for training of all kinds. Also, I know folks that are awesome shooters don't make it through certain programs because the couldn't do target ID, communicate, and shoot at the same time. Kinda a skill set needed with a crowded cafeteria with everybody drawing thier weapons.

Fact of the matter is, what we are doing now is not working.
    I agree 100 percent. But in our situation here in NH you can go as far as the local LE's to blame for that. They are the ones that 'advise' the school on what to do. Lockdown and other protocols. And every officer I know (I know quite a few including the SWAT) they do not want anybody in the school having a weapon so they don't shoot them by accident. Hey, not my words..theirs

We have talked about this very thing and the one with the permits would prefer to be armed.
    Duh! Of course if one can carry they would want to carry everywhere. Nonsensical statement. I mean how many folks do you know with a permit have said "jeez! I would rather not be armed at my workplace??" That is only stating something that is obvious.

And I never said to not allow them to be armed. I am for everybody being armed legaly. But it never hurts to remind folks that a gun and the ability to shoot does not make you a Delta or ST6 operative in a chaotic situation. And as with any business or school, they have to look at the risk of allowing folks being armed. They have to do that so the active shooter or MAWG protocols are addressed and coordinated with LE. If it hurts to talk about reality,,well then

BTW: Just so ya know where I am coming from. In my neck of woods and my experience with the average gunowner is that they WAY overestimate their capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have no problem with it,but in that environment would like to see them pass a training course
    I have mixed feelings on this. Due to the 2A, no one should have to do anything other than be a citizen to carry a gun. However, when the teachers are working in close quarters with students all day, I would hate for some idiot to injure someone with a negligent discharge...
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I remember when this came up here in Nebraska. It will likely never pass. Good idea, but probably won't go through.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

As someone going in to education, I would love to be able to be armed while on the job. As a band director that will be taking students on any number of trips, it would be even better since not every area is all that nice. But no, the best chance I'll have is to lock the door and get my class corralled in the corner and fight the bad guys off with a stapler.
    Badey and surefire7 like this.

Senior Moderator
    They have to do that so the active shooter or MAWG protocols are addressed and coordinated with LE.
    I dont think that it would take that much effort to get everyone on the same page when it came to establishig a protocol.
    Hear shots? Get everyone in the room and lock the door. An armed teacher standing there do nothing other than guarding a door would be an improvement over what we have now.

BTW: Just so ya know where I am coming from. In my neck of woods and my experience with the average gunowner is that they WAY overestimate their capabilities.
    I agree. On the other hand, someone with the proper tools and the will to use them is a vast improvement over being able to do nothing. They wont have the skills of a Team SIX Operator but I'll take anything over nothing.
    surefire7, MleeC, sdprof and 1 others like this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links