Company Car and Concealed Carry for Salesmen Prohibited...what are your thoughts?

Company Car and Concealed Carry for Salesmen Prohibited...what are your thoughts?

This is a discussion on Company Car and Concealed Carry for Salesmen Prohibited...what are your thoughts? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am starting a Sales job with a new company and will be issued a company car. In addition to using this vehicle for work, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Company Car and Concealed Carry for Salesmen Prohibited...what are your thoughts?

I am starting a Sales job with a new company and will be issued a company car. In addition to using this vehicle for work, I'll have unlimited use of this company car for personal use as well. As I work mostly in "the field", my place of work can be considered to be my car throughout the day.

The company has a "Violence in the Workplace" policy that discusses "committed acts" that are prohibited by this policy. Amongst the several obvious examples of prohibited acts (ie. threatening behavior/remarks, aggressive acts, damaging property), it states the following that concerns me as a CHL holder:

"Possession of a weapon while on Company property, while on Company business, or at a Company sponsored event".

I have already determined that, because many of the sites I visit throughout my day have been deemed "Gun Free Zones", I will not be carrying my weapon in during sales calls. However, a good portion of my day will involve travel over the road where I would prefer to have my weapon readily available. Additionally, outside of my workday, I will be using this company car for personal use at which time I intend to carry.

QUESTION: During the workday and outside of the workday, would you carry concealed as if this were your own personal vehicle?

Thanks for your input!

Don't use company vehicle for personal use if you want to carry....that or don't tell them ;)

The catch here is "..while on company property." Technically, using the company vehicle is "on [in]" company property. I violate company policy all the time and CC into work. It really boils down to what you think you can get away with vs. how much you like your job. As for the travel during the day between sales calls....while you're in the company vehicle...you're on company business. Again...depends on what you think you can get away with vs. how much you like the job. Also...some states have provisions against employers doing anything to you while carrying in transit...but most are covered under personal conveyance.

To ultimately answer your question.... Yes, I would...but I'm well-known for ignoring half my company's rules.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    its your job and your life and your decision

id balance the 2 with a NAA Widow in a boot of ankle rig
    22 mag will stop a car jacking in traffic and at least let you have something
    in your hand if ever you are forced to make a plan.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

VIP Member
    If you are in a company owned vehicle whether you are on or off the clock you are on company property.

As stated depends on how much you want your job if ever found out.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    its your job and your life and your decision

id balance the 2 with a NAA Widow in a boot of ankle rig
    22 mag will stop a car jacking in traffic and at least let you have something
    in your hand if ever you are forced to make a plan.
    I am not sure the size of the weapon will matter. If he observes the rules against carrying during a visit to a customer site, he would still have to disarm before leaving the car. In my experience, ankle holsters are the easiest carry method to accidentally expose. I sat in a conference room with a guy who exposed his entire ankle rig at my office when he sat down and his pants rode up.

No need to ask for clarification from your management - you know what their answer would be.

That's just one of the reasons I detest the company car bennies. I always get POV by-the-mile payments or a monthly car/gas allowance and skip the company car. It saves you from just such horse hockey as this.

Having a company car is like driving a car your dad bought you. You think it's "free" until you find out there are strings attached.

My 40-something year-old BIL still takes his father's hand-me-down trucks at trade-in time. He says he gets them for "free". Then he complains weekly about being told by his father what he's going to do with that truck such as take the trash to the dump, use it to haul wood for his dad, etc. His dad always reminds him he got it for "free", so he owes him these services.
    Last edited by MadMac; April 13th, 2012 at 12:45 PM.

I agree with all the OP's in that it is a CO vehicle and as such it falls under the CO's policys. if something was to happen and you didn't follow the CO rules the lass of a job or even criminal charges can apply

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tgonz View Post
    I am starting a Sales job with a new company and will be issued a company car. In addition to using this vehicle for work, I'll have unlimited use of this company car for personal use as well. As I work mostly in "the field", my place of work can be considered to be my car throughout the day.

The company has a "Violence in the Workplace" policy that discusses "committed acts" that are prohibited by this policy. Amongst the several obvious examples of prohibited acts (ie. threatening behavior/remarks, aggressive acts, damaging property), it states the following that concerns me as a CHL holder:

"Possession of a weapon while on Company property, while on Company business, or at a Company sponsored event".

I have already determined that, because many of the sites I visit throughout my day have been deemed "Gun Free Zones", I will not be carrying my weapon in during sales calls. However, a good portion of my day will involve travel over the road where I would prefer to have my weapon readily available. Additionally, outside of my workday, I will be using this company car for personal use at which time I intend to carry.

QUESTION: During the workday and outside of the workday, would you carry concealed as if this were your own personal vehicle?

Thanks for your input!
    No!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    'Time for some cliche's:

"He who pays the fiddler, calls the tunes"

"He with the peso, has the say-so"

Their car, their rules.

I so resent my employer having extended domain over my personal life, that I took myself off the payroll, and figure out ways to pay myself now.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    "He with the peso, has the say-so"
    Counter to the cliche:

"Well I've got the pistols, so I'll keep the pesos.... yeah, that seems fair." -Banitos, by the Refreshments.
    smolck likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Many may not like my response, but, what is your word worth? You took the job with knowledge of the companies policies. You agreed to abide by the companies rules while at work. If you now decide that you will do what you want because you don't like a policy, then I guess we know what value you place on your word.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Concealed means concealed.

If it were me I'd violate policy and keep my mouth shut. But that's just me.
    GhostRed7, Yankeejib and GrandZJ like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Pharma Rep?

I got curious based on my earlier post and can't edit now....but this is from the the Texas pdf off of handgunlaw.us.

Parking Lot Storage Law
    Labor Code Subchapter G
    52.061. Restriction on Prohibiting Employee Access to or Storage of Firearm or Ammunition.
    A public or private employer may not prohibit an employee who holds a license to carry a
    concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm, or who lawfully possesses ammunition from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition the employee is authorized by law to possess in a locked, privately owned motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area the employer provides for employees.
    Sec.A52.062.AAEXCEPTIONS.
    (a) Section 52.061 does not:
    *snip*
    (2) apply to:
    (A) a vehicle owned or leased by a public or private employer and used by an
    employee in the course and scope of the employee ’s employment, unless the
    employee is required to transport or store a firearm in the officia discharge
    of the employee ’s duties;
    The "grey" area here is the "in the course and scope of the employee's employment" part. The entire section is about parking lot storage tho....so not really applicable in your scenario.

The (b) part of this section does state that the law doesn't prohibit an employer from prohibiting an employee for carrying. So ultimately, it DOES circle back to your choice. Another food for thought (not a lawyer but worth consideration) is that you are violating your employers rules. That being said you're technically trespassing (dunno if true under TX law) by carrying the firearm after already having been told you can't on/in THEIR property. They could potentially file charges against you in addition to employment implications.

Like I said...not a lawyer...so totally arm-chairing this based on Google & Handgunlaw.us....i'm bored at work LOL.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

VIP Member
    You know, I actually think that his might be one of those situations where you perhaps could, after being a good
    new employee for awhile, go to HR and explain the situation. Maybe give it enough time to get through
    whatever kind of probation period your employer may have indicated. Make clear you will never carry
    while actually on the job, but that when you are off duty and not representing the company, you might want
    to do so--especially if your family is with you; for their protection.

I know someone who is in pretty much the same situation you are, has had a company car to use for both business and
    personal use for a dozen years now. I don't know if he carries or not, of if his company has a policy or not,
    but they really don't seem to care much what he does with the car so long as he get out to the clients pronto when needed.

Who you ask, how you ask, when you ask, plus the size of the company and the authority of those you deal with, will all
    play a role in your deciding whether or not it is wise to ask for permission at all. If you think you can't ask for permission, then
    take the most restrictive interpretation of their policy and live with it.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Great responses by all today. Thanks for your honest feedback already.

The sequence of events that has led up to this decision for me is as follows:
    - Bought first firearm (.22 pistol) about six months ago for target shooting. Quickly got the "bug" to shoot
    - Did a lot of reading/soul searching and decided to pursue CHL for defense.
    - Bought pocket pistol (.380) with the intent of ultimately carrying concealed once proficient and licensed by state.
    - Completed CHL course weekend before I started new job. I don't expect to get this back in the mail for at least 6-8 weeks.
    - Following week, I was presented with all the HR policies including "Violence in Workplace".

I spoke with an attorney here in Texas last week and he reviewed policy. It's pretty black and white.....prohibited to carry in while on company business and in the company car. So really, I'm still in the phase absorbing and accepting the fact that I won't be carrying while using that car. I'm not going to violate this policy with the possibility of losing my job.

Hopyard - I would expect that the company would not authorize carrying while "on the job". At a certain point, it might be wise to approach HR and "ask" for an exception to this policy that would allow for concealed carry in this car outside of "business hours".

Aiko-Medical Sales that takes me into many hospitals and clinics.

Thanks to all for your continued feedback.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links