Which would you carry......

This is a discussion on Which would you carry...... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd carry the one I was most confident with......

View Poll Results: Which gun to carry on out of state trip

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • P250 9mm SC

70 60.34%
  • P239 .380 with laser

22 18.97%
  • Does not matter

23 19.83%
  • Just leave them at home...you wont need a gun on this trip

1 0.86%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Which would you carry......

I'd carry the one I was most confident with...
    tcox4freedom likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I always carry the biggest I can get away with.
    I can't imagine a situation where in the aftermath I am going to find myself saying
    "Gee I wish I had brought a smaller weapon with fewer rounds of a less powerful cartridge to defend myself with."
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Personally I would go for the 9mm just because it has a better track record. But in the end what matters is what YOU shoot better with.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baldboy View Post
    Personally I would go for the 9mm just because it has a better track record. But in the end what matters is what YOU shoot better with.
    Are you refering to the specific firearm or the caliber?
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I never can make up my mind when I travel. So I take them all, and a bag of holsters.
    Bark'n and Spec like this.

I would say that in a real life adrenaline charged gunfight, where you are being subjected to a significant degree of "startle effect" and the microseconds it takes to realize what's really happening, you're more apt to fumble your draw getting the tiny SIG 238 into play as opposed to the larger SIG P250. Even more so if you have larger than average sized hands.

And anything other than a good solid grip on a tiny .380, after the first shot, the gun tends to want to climb out of your hand. Trying to get 6 good shots in less than 2 seconds, from a draw, when you are startled, in full body alarm mode, and where you feel you are going to die in the next blink of an eye, I would go for the larger framed gun always.

I carry a .380 LCP every day. It's always my last ditch back-up plan. I would never go to something as tiny for my primary weapon when life or death is measured in the blink of an eye and you can't afford to muck up the draw.

People frequently carry the tiny micro sized .380's as a primary gun because they want something light, invisible and not noticeable because they feel they are NEVER going to use it. And the odds are really very slim you ever will need to use it, so it mainly just gives them a feeling of comfort. But if that fateful day ever does come... They are going to be in for a heck of a surprise at how difficult it is to draw that tiny, invisible, ultra-lightweight gun they never thought they'd use.

Just food for thought...
    Spec, oneshot and jonconsiglio like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I would say that in a real life adrenaline charged gunfight, where you are being subjected to a significant degree of "startle effect" and the microseconds it takes to realize what's really happening, you're more apt to fumble your draw getting the tiny SIG 238 into play as opposed to the larger SIG P250. Even more so if you have larger than average sized hands.

And anything other than a good solid grip on a tiny .380, after the first shot, the gun tends to want to climb out of your hand. Trying to get 6 good shots in less than 2 seconds, from a draw, when you are startled, in full body alarm mode, and where you feel you are going to die in the next blink of an eye, I would go for the larger framed gun always.

I carry a .380 LCP every day. It's always my last ditch back-up plan. I would never go to something as tiny for my primary weapon when life or death is measured in the blink of an eye and you can't afford to muck up the draw.

People frequently carry the tiny micro sized .380's as a primary gun because they want something light, invisible and not noticeable because they feel they are NEVER going to use it. And the odds are really very slim you ever will need to use it, so it mainly just gives them a feeling of comfort. But if that fateful day ever does come... They are going to be in for a heck of a surprise at how difficult it is to draw that tiny, invisible, ultra-lightweight gun they never thought they'd use.

Just food for thought...
    WEll SAID! I feel under gunned if I don't have My full Size .40S&W or Compact 9mm..... a 5 shot J-Frame in .38spl+p makes me feel uncomfortable... it's not the round that makes me uneasy, it is the fact that 5 shots and a slow reload is not a warm security blanket like 15+1 .40S&W or 12+1 9mm is.

To answer the OP I would take both and here is why. I always find myself talking all three types of holsters with me in my Jeep. I never know when my deep concealment (like at work) is need, verses if I'm going to be stuck driving long distances I want comfort in a OWB. (plus IWB seated in a car is a very very slow messy draw.)

My answer to you is not based on gun choice, but rather comfort and ease of use for positions and dress you will be wearing. OWB 9mm in the car and for home/hotel protection. Then the .380 for deep concealment when out and about.
    oneshot likes this.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

If you are taking the 380 Sig, make sure to have excellent hard hitting ammo like Buffalo Bore 100gr hardcast ammo. Stay safe and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    If you are taking the 380 Sig, make sure to have excellent hard hitting ammo like Buffalo Bore 100gr hardcast ammo. Stay safe and God Bless
    Not sure what I am taking yet but will look at those. I carried the 9mm all last weekend and am waiting on my crossbreed for the .380 to see which one is more comfortable.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

neither................Kahr PM9...........380....not for me

I say both.

But if only one, have you tried a Compact mag with the P250SC? I've got one as my primary reload when I'm carrying the SC. The bit it sticks out the bottom gives my pinky a place to go and 25% more rounds isn't bad either. I've got the X-Grip spacer also, but that's in the holster bag - it migrates when it's carried and I'm worried it will jam up against the mag well when it's really important.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    I say both.

But if only one, have you tried a Compact mag with the P250SC? I've got one as my primary reload when I'm carrying the SC. The bit it sticks out the bottom gives my pinky a place to go and 25% more rounds isn't bad either. I've got the X-Grip spacer also, but that's in the holster bag - it migrates when it's carried and I'm worried it will jam up against the mag well when it's really important.
    I want to order another mag for both and was looking at that mag for the 250. I have to wait and see what my budget is the next couple weeks.
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

9mm vs 380
    12 vs 7
    for me its a no brainer ,,,, go with the 9mm P250

Take them both. I carry Two all day every day. Even on vacation.

Obviously size is your primary concern if you're vacillating between those two. As has been said, if it means the difference between sliding it IWB and leaving it in the car, take the P238.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links