Short Road Trip...Through Maryland

This is a discussion on Short Road Trip...Through Maryland within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm planning a roadtrip that takes me through the panhandle of Maryland. I hate to go anywhere without my sidearm, but I hear that Maryland ...

I'm planning a roadtrip that takes me through the panhandle of Maryland. I hate to go anywhere without my sidearm, but I hear that Maryland doesn't honor my PA CCW permit. Should I not take the gun at all? Can I remove the ammunition and store the unloaded weapon in the trunk and the ammo in the glovebox? I'm not real clear on Maryland laws are. Thanks.

Store the handgun in the trunk in a locked box with the ammo separate. Don't stop.

As long as point A and B honor your permit, and there are no reasons for police to pull you over, you'll be fine.

VIP Member
    Check out this web page http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf . It will give you the info you need to travel through Maryland. The key is DO NOT STOP. Gas up, make sure everyone with you takes a pee break, and get out of MD as qiuck as you can.

Q. Can I legally transport firearms interstate? (From the MD State Police)
    A. Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited
    from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to
    any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a
    compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked compartment other than the glove compartment or console.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Driving through Maryland is a huge hassle for me sometimes. I drive out of WV, having to stop and lock up my gun first, then back into WV. Sometimes I'm in Maryland for a grand total of twenty minutes. I stop and lock the gun up first anyway. Maryland State Troopers don't have a big sense of humor about loaded guns.

As stated, compy with FOPA 926A (unloaded in trunk or in a lockbox in back if no trunk) and you should be fine. Do not ever consent to a search if asked. There is no real previous court law on the legality of stopping for gas or food. Be careful and you should have no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Urdnot View Post
    I'm planning a roadtrip that takes me through the panhandle of Maryland. I hate to go anywhere without my sidearm, but I hear that Maryland doesn't honor my PA CCW permit. Should I not take the gun at all? Can I remove the ammunition and store the unloaded weapon in the trunk and the ammo in the glovebox? I'm not real clear on Maryland laws are. Thanks.
    short answer is yes, toss the unloaded weapon into your trunk and you'll be ok,
    get familiar with the FOPA laws

You need to stow your guns (and your rights) away when driving thru this criminal free zone.

Too bad the western half of Maryland can't join up with West Virginia......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Thanks for the advice. I was debating a different route, but thanks to archer51 I feel pretty comfortable locking up the gun safely and making a bee-line for the border (under the speed limit of course). And I'll read up on FOPA laws and the like.

Links