Why can't we legally carry on a military installation?

This is a discussion on Why can't we legally carry on a military installation? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My buddies and I throw this one around a lot. I mean if we're cleared by the state to carry, why can't we do so ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Why can't we legally carry on a military installation?

Why can't we legally carry on a military installation?

My buddies and I throw this one around a lot. I mean if we're cleared by the state to carry, why can't we do so on base?

The big beef comes from not being protected on base, but while travelling back and forth to base. For some reason, most bases seem to be near bad parts of town and that's when I feel I'd probably need my weapon.

Of course, look at the Fort Hood shooting and see how not being allowed to carry on base stopped that nut job...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You can't carry on base because your government doesn't trust you.
    mano3, msgt/ret, JDE101 and 5 others like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I was told because unlike a national park which is federal property.MIl installations are a city in of themselves. Hospitals, housing, airfields, restricted areas et al. There would be many places you would not be allowed a weapon. I do not know if that is true nor am I agreeing with the thought process behind it. Also, I have I was told by the same person that if there was an active shooter or multiple shooters that were using AR's it would be virtually impossible to identify who was who since it looks like the M4. Again, not my view

Among the lots of reasons they may give I'm assuming elements of national security are high on the list. Not saying I necessarily agree, but they makes the rules.

They sent us to Active Shooter training. We're supposed to hide and wait for the Security Police. If the shooter does come at you, we're supposed to throw staplers and such at him...

Everytime they've conducted Active Shooter exercises, the shooter always manages to kill folks in double digits.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    They hate freedom! We should start lawsuits so that we can gain our right back. Or order Congress to pass a new law allowing carry (both open and concealed) on military bases.

DC
    I was hoping for some way to carry on base too. Maybe unloaded and locked but I just give up. I worked at Fort Eustis today so I felt as if something was missing...

Heck, they don't even allow hardly any of the military to carry. An example of the lunacy of this policy was the Fort Hood incident - a civilian cop had to be called to shoot the BG. That's beyond comprehension to me, there shoulda been plenty of active (and fully armed) military to take out the Fort Hood shooter.
    mano3 and beararms like this.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I had the opportunity to participate in a sister-service hotwash followup after we received the Ft Hood after-action report. Most of the inputs from my peers regarded training, evaluation of "threat" personalities, barricade/flight responses, etc. I got a pretty big whale eye for my response. Wish I had saved the written version I also turned in, but here's the gist:
    - We've emasculated military service and those who serve, spending more time teaching them how to deal with feelings than neutralize threats
    - We over-rely on computer-based training to cover topics that require gross motor skills and muscle memory (no kidding, at one point we were doing CBI for low crawl and advance under fire techniques)
    - Because we call ourselves Warriors but don't really mean it. I would guess that fewer than 1/2 of my personnel, maybe less than 1/4, if they were to be at the Fort Hood, thrown an M-4 on "safe" and a 30-rd mag, and told that in 10 seconds the shooter would be there, would be able to insert the magazine, chamber a round, select a firing mode and engage the threat in time.
    - If we say we're at war, we ought to act like it. All members should be trained and, when on duty, armed appropriately - rifle in easy reach. Off-duty CCW on-and-off base should be considered not only allowable, but expected - just like LEO. Those who can't hack the training or don't want to carry a mean weapon (with voluntary exemptions for docs, chaps, etc) should have that noted on their performance reports and either drummed out of service or at the least, not considered for further promotion.

I don't think my comments made it into the final report.
    mano3, Sarisataka, MleeC and 9 others like this.

I would actually like to hear a good answer. I've thought about it before, but I have never heard someone give a well thought out list of legitimate reasons.

It's just a control issue as far as I see it. Unless someone is doing some really advanced training, think about all the security measures in place during field events or live fire exercises. Think about all the rules on riding a motorcycle on base, or having to fill out ORM worksheets before you can go hunting or scuba diving or whatever. There are bases where you have to where a glowbelt anytime you're jogging. Security measures are always more pronounced in the military.
    mano3 likes this.

The military (escpecially the AF ) is risk adversive. If a commander get dinged on a safety inspection they will fail to advance. At the company, field grade, or flag level. That is why you have to have your vehicles inspected by an NCO before a lng weekend (do they still do that?).
    NH_Esau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    The military (escpecially the AF ) is risk adversive. If a commander get dinged on a safety inspection they will fail to advance. At the company, field grade, or flag level. That is why you have to have your vehicles inspected by an NCO before a lng weekend (do they still do that?).
    haven't seen a vehicle inspection before a long weekend in 15-16 years....last when I was in Korea.

I second your thought that the AF is risk adverse...Amn Snuffaluffagus does something stupid, everyone "needs retraining" (I guess the AF isn't alone in this way of thinking)....I call it the "Diaper Theory"...one person poops, and we're all forced to wear a diaper.
    mano3, msgt/ret and atctimmy like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

IIRC rules regarding personal weapons on post are at the discretion of the post commander. The last time I had reason to be on Fort Hood I was told that I could turn my weapon in when I came on post and pick it up when I was leaving. There were also hoops I could jump through if I wished to take part in a shooting competition that was being held there.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Would be nice if they had a weapons checkpoint where you could store your small arms & ammo at the gate.
    mano3 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

All they would need is an old Post Office Cluster Box at the gate. You put your piece in one of the pigeon holes, lock it and take the key with you. It would be under the watchful eyes of the guards at the gate. Upon exiting, you unlock the box, take your piece, leave the key for the next person and you're on your way.

But NOOOO!That would make too much sense.
    mano3, Bark'n, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links