Defensive Carry banner

Interesting carry question

3K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  BIGSAM 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I've been lurking the forums for awhile now and get a lot of info just from reading new threads daily. I am of age to carry in a few months at which time I plan to apply for a CWP. For now I am trying to familiarize myself with the law and any situation that could be presented so I can react appropriately.

A little quick background: I'm a college student and own a german shepherd that is almost ready for schutzhund competition (so walking him and needing a weapon was the least of my concerns). I got confronted by 3 black men one day while on a walk with my GSD. My dog bought me enough time to run outta there after one of them assaulted me.

My question is: I cant legally carry a firearm on my person here in FL, but the law (790.25 (5)) says that you can have a firearm if it is securely encased in your private conveyance (Section 790.25, Florida Statutes 2007). Would my dog be considered a "private conveyance"? When on conditioning walks or runs he usually wears a backpack with which I put water in it for him where I could conceal a handgun if needed. There is a definition of "securely encased" but nothing I can find on "private conveyance" with which a car is considered and I figure my dog is considered private property also. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#4 ·
I dont want any trouble with the law, hence why I posted this. Seemed like an interesting scenario.

That would be the slowest draw in history. LOL
the whole pack is velcro'ed on a harness and can be pulled off and accessed just as fast as if I were in a car. Not super fast but enough to buy time in the event a confrontation like that took place again.

#9 ·
Good luck with your trials. ANY dog/handler team that can get a BH, let alone a full SCH title is an awesome thing. Best wishes!

My last SCH dog just died this past August (See pic of Baron after "retirement"), the bond of a dog/handler team is amazing, treasure the journey and not just the goal. Before you know it they aren't with you anymore. And while Baron lives on in our replacement pup (now 2 years) that first Sch title is something you never forget!

Here's wishing you a score book packed with SG's!

Attachments

#16 ·
Depends on what the state defines as a conveyance. Normally it means a means of transport.
In my State the term used is vehicle.
3. “Vehicle” means a conveyance of any kind, whether or not motorized, which is designed to transport people or property.
I would take that to mean pretty much everything that can carry a person. Motorcycle, boat, dog sled, etc.

Michael

#13 ·
Yeah, still Im not too sure how effective non lethal would have been if they pursued, probably would have bought me some more time just in case. You would think a full grown GSD would be enough of a deterrent..when people are drugged out they think they are invincible to anything and anyone.

Good luck with your trials. ANY dog/handler team that can get a BH, let alone a full SCH title is an awesome thing. Best wishes!

My last SCH dog just died this past August (See pic of Baron after "retirement"), the bond of a dog/handler team is amazing, treasure the journey and not just the goal. Before you know it they aren't with you anymore. And while Baron lives on in our replacement pup (now 2 years) that first Sch title is something you never forget!

Here's wishing you a score book packed with SG's!
Thanks a ton sir! Sorry to hear about Baron though... Its amazing how time flies..hell I can remember when mine was a tiny little pup waking me up at 4am lol now its hard to hold the leash on a short attack. We still have some minor kinks to perfect but overall its a whole process/ hobby that has been super fun and interesting.

#14 ·
I can't believe you asked about a dog as a private conveyance.

In a nutshell, anyone 18 and older not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm can carry a concealed, loaded firearm in a private conveyance (vehicle) as long as it's "securely encased" and not "on the person." It can be in a "closed" glovebox or console (not required to be locked), a zipped case, a snapped holster, as long as it's concealed. And contrary to what many LEO's believe, yes, under the seat is legal. You must have a CWFL to conceal it on your person at any time. The firearm cannot be openly displayed.

For specific info, read FL statute 790 and the definitions of "securely encased."

#19 ·
I know those florida statutes as I already stated and cited it in my OP. That is why I asked what Florida constitutes as a "private conveyance". He is my private property technically and by walking him I considered it a form of transport. I dont see how that cant be considered a private conveyance but I guess it isnt. And nowhere in the FL statutes is that term defined hence why I posted the thread.

As for him running away...not a chance. If you have ever been to a Schutzhund event, you would understand that many of those dogs are better trained than a police k-9. But I do see what you are saying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.