Interesting carry question

This is a discussion on Interesting carry question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I've been lurking the forums for awhile now and get a lot of info just from reading new threads daily. I am of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Interesting carry question

Hey all,

I've been lurking the forums for awhile now and get a lot of info just from reading new threads daily. I am of age to carry in a few months at which time I plan to apply for a CWP. For now I am trying to familiarize myself with the law and any situation that could be presented so I can react appropriately.

A little quick background: I'm a college student and own a german shepherd that is almost ready for schutzhund competition (so walking him and needing a weapon was the least of my concerns). I got confronted by 3 black men one day while on a walk with my GSD. My dog bought me enough time to run outta there after one of them assaulted me.

My question is: I cant legally carry a firearm on my person here in FL, but the law (790.25 (5)) says that you can have a firearm if it is securely encased in your private conveyance (Section 790.25, Florida Statutes 2007). Would my dog be considered a "private conveyance"? When on conditioning walks or runs he usually wears a backpack with which I put water in it for him where I could conceal a handgun if needed. There is a definition of "securely encased" but nothing I can find on "private conveyance" with which a car is considered and I figure my dog is considered private property also. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance!

A_D
    Do yourself a favor. Wait until you're of age.
    Secret Spuk, Hopyard and RichB70 like this.
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

-Mark Twain

That would be the slowest draw in history. LOL
    Badey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by A_D View Post
    Do yourself a favor. Wait until you're of age.
    I dont want any trouble with the law, hence why I posted this. Seemed like an interesting scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by STLRampage View Post
    That would be the slowest draw in history. LOL
    the whole pack is velcro'ed on a harness and can be pulled off and accessed just as fast as if I were in a car. Not super fast but enough to buy time in the event a confrontation like that took place again.

VIP Member
    Unless you are riding him, he isn't a conveyance.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    ok thats what I wanted to hear. Thank you.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
    Hey all,

I've been lurking the forums for awhile now and get a lot of info just from reading new threads daily. I am of age to carry in a few months at which time I plan to apply for a CWP. For now I am trying to familiarize myself with the law and any situation that could be presented so I can react appropriately.

A little quick background: I'm a college student and own a german shepherd that is almost ready for schutzhund competition (so walking him and needing a weapon was the least of my concerns). I got confronted by 3 black men one day while on a walk with my GSD. My dog bought me enough time to run outta there after one of them assaulted me.

My question is: I cant legally carry a firearm on my person here in FL, but the law (790.25 (5)) says that you can have a firearm if it is securely encased in your private conveyance (Section 790.25, Florida Statutes 2007). Would my dog be considered a "private conveyance"? When on conditioning walks or runs he usually wears a backpack with which I put water in it for him where I could conceal a handgun if needed. There is a definition of "securely encased" but nothing I can find on "private conveyance" with which a car is considered and I figure my dog is considered private property also. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance!
    if you are not riding the dog it isn't a conveyance
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    LOL!! I can see it now

LEO: "I need to run a registration check on a late model german shepherd..."
    Rock and Glock and sdprof like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Good luck with your trials. ANY dog/handler team that can get a BH, let alone a full SCH title is an awesome thing. Best wishes!

My last SCH dog just died this past August (See pic of Baron after "retirement"), the bond of a dog/handler team is amazing, treasure the journey and not just the goal. Before you know it they aren't with you anymore. And while Baron lives on in our replacement pup (now 2 years) that first Sch title is something you never forget!

Here's wishing you a score book packed with SG's!
    Attached Images

Administrator
    Does that mean if he was on horseback in FL. he could legally have a firearm in his saddlebags?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Does that mean if he was under legal age on horseback in FL. he could legally have a firearm in his saddlebags?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

no but you can carry a less then leathal weapon like pepper spray or taser and in FL any white person is a target for some haters right now

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    no but you can carry a less then leathal weapon like pepper spray or taser and in FL any white person is a target for some haters right now
    Yeah, still Im not too sure how effective non lethal would have been if they pursued, probably would have bought me some more time just in case. You would think a full grown GSD would be enough of a deterrent..when people are drugged out they think they are invincible to anything and anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Good luck with your trials. ANY dog/handler team that can get a BH, let alone a full SCH title is an awesome thing. Best wishes!

My last SCH dog just died this past August (See pic of Baron after "retirement"), the bond of a dog/handler team is amazing, treasure the journey and not just the goal. Before you know it they aren't with you anymore. And while Baron lives on in our replacement pup (now 2 years) that first Sch title is something you never forget!

Here's wishing you a score book packed with SG's!
    Thanks a ton sir! Sorry to hear about Baron though... Its amazing how time flies..hell I can remember when mine was a tiny little pup waking me up at 4am lol now its hard to hold the leash on a short attack. We still have some minor kinks to perfect but overall its a whole process/ hobby that has been super fun and interesting.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I can't believe you asked about a dog as a private conveyance.

In a nutshell, anyone 18 and older not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm can carry a concealed, loaded firearm in a private conveyance (vehicle) as long as it's "securely encased" and not "on the person." It can be in a "closed" glovebox or console (not required to be locked), a zipped case, a snapped holster, as long as it's concealed. And contrary to what many LEO's believe, yes, under the seat is legal. You must have a CWFL to conceal it on your person at any time. The firearm cannot be openly displayed.

For specific info, read FL statute 790 and the definitions of "securely encased."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Bad idea! What if he got away from you. No gun and it could out there in the wind.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links