Ohio Will Only Honor Arizona Resident Permit/License - Page 2

Ohio Will Only Honor Arizona Resident Permit/License

This is a discussion on Ohio Will Only Honor Arizona Resident Permit/License within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Gary Slider I just heard back from AZ Concealed Handgun Unit asking about them updating the agreement and they stated Ohio ask ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ohio Will Only Honor Arizona Resident Permit/License

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    I just heard back from AZ Concealed Handgun Unit asking about them updating the agreement and they stated Ohio ask for that stipulation in the agreement. Being in 2004 that is possible OH wanted it as they were new to Reciprocity. That makes more sense to me as AZ has issued Non Resident permits for years. But Ohio never put it in any other agreements they had. I doubt we will ever know for sure why it is in there.
    Maybe you can get OH to send their agreement to AZ "for updating"...that will solve the problem.

My apologies for bumping an old thread first off. I found this thread through searching Google and this is actually the only place I've found the disheartening news. Thanks to those who've put in the work to keep us informed.

From what I've gathered based on info from this thread, OH is the only state giving grief regarding reciprocity. Is this correct? My main reason for sending off for my AZ permit was to be able to concealed carry in Delaware as I frequently visit the state.

Based on the large amount of info I've found in just a few threads on this forum, I hope to become a frequent member and learn much. Thanks guys!

VIP Member
    We almost got an all states reciprocity bill through this year. It was part of a bigger bill and time ran out to discuss the bill. The reciprocity part was the only sticking point, so they dropped that portion and will try again next year. We did get the right to keep arms in the capitol parking lot - not quite TX, but it's a start, and a redefinition of a loaded weapon.

Previously, you could not carry any mags loaded anywhere in the car if the gun that worked with them was in the car - that was considered a loaded weapon. If you had a CHL, you could carry a handgun loaded, but the law still applied to a rifle. Yesterday, the Gov signed legislation that will - 91 days after the Sec of State does his thing - allow us to carry loaded rifle mags to the range as long as they are not inserted into the gun. Just one of Ohio's goofy gun laws that finally got made rational.

Look for an all state reciprocity bill next year.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Since this thread has been re-awakened, I'll simply add that although AZ has "constitutional carry", it remains an excellent idea for AZ shooters to obtain their AZ CCW. Even if you're not a handgunner, your AZ permit puts you in the high-speed land when you purchase a gun. No phone calls to NICS - you're "pre-approved." Plus you have a permit that numerous states recognize, and you can legally carry concealed into an un-posted restaurant or bar, a choice which is unavailable to you without a CCW.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LanCo_EMT View Post
    My apologies for bumping an old thread first off. I found this thread through searching Google and this is actually the only place I've found the disheartening news. Thanks to those who've put in the work to keep us informed.

From what I've gathered based on info from this thread, OH is the only state giving grief regarding reciprocity. Is this correct? My main reason for sending off for my AZ permit was to be able to concealed carry in Delaware as I frequently visit the state.

Based on the large amount of info I've found in just a few threads on this forum, I hope to become a frequent member and learn much. Thanks guys!
    Apply to Florida for a permit, Delaware will honor Florida: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Same as in FL. You must be a resident of the state whose permit you hold to be honored in FL. I wonder how many other states follow this same condition, negating the purpose of getting multiple permits.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The last I read, Delaware has an "unwritten agreement" with Arizona for reciprocity. With this stipulation you guys are talking about, does it mean that my AZ permit will be no good in DE? Or does this stipulation only apply to OH?

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Here are the quirks in How states honor each other. This is copied from my website when you go to the Create a Map Application to let people know about these quirks in how states do it. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/CreateAMapNotice.pdf

Be Aware of the Following Aberrations in How States
    Honor Other States Permit/Licenses!

Starting 11/1/12 Residents of Alaska, Arizona, Vermont & Wyoming can carry in
    Oklahoma under their states Constitutional Carry Law and do not need a permit/license from
    Their home state. They must carry their state issued ID and be 21 Years of age.

Colorado, Florida, Maine, Michigan, New Hampshire & South Carolina
    Only honor Permit/Licenses from “Residents” of the states they honor.
    They will not honor any Non-Resident Permit/Licenses from any other state.

Wisconsin will only honor the VA Non Resident permit/license and “Not” their
    Resident Permit/License.

Ohio will not honor the Arizona Non-Resident Permit/License. They will
    Honor all other Non-Resident Permit/Licenses from the states they honor.

Texas will only honor the Rhode Island Permit/License issued by the Rhode Island Attorney
    General’s Office. Local issued Rhode Island Permit/Licenses are not honored by Texas.

Alaska, Arizona and Vermont have what is called Constitutional Carry. Anyone who
    can legally possess a firearm can carry them Concealed without any type of permit/license.
    You must be 21 Y/O and carry your ID.

North Dakota – ND Issues two classes of Licenses. If you hold a Class 2 License from ND check carefully the states you wish to visit as there are a number of states that honor the North Dakota Class 1 License but not their Class 2 License.

West Virginia/Wisconsin – WI will only honor the WV permit issued after 6/8/12. WV changed their law on how they run background checks. WV does not honor WI at this time.

Wyoming’s Constitutional Carry Law only applies to Residents of Wyoming.

Some states that honor other states Permit/Licenses will not honor that states Permit/license unless the holder of the Permit/license is 21 years of age.
    The Create a Map application can’t reflect these quirks in how states honor each
    other. If you are going to carry in any of the states listed above or are under
    21 years of age check that states page carefully.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Gary;
    I was able to find the Delaware laws I was looking for on your site. What an awesome resource you've put together there!

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    LanCo_EMT

Thank you. We try. Do you work as an EMT or Volunteer or both? Been and EMT for over 30 years and an EMT Instructor for 9 years now. Don't volunteer anymore. To old and the hardest part about runs is moving the patient and just can't do that anymore. Got a new knee a few months back and it is doing great. Now mainly just do testing for the EMT Certification and do that part time. Retired 5 years ago as a mechanic from Bayer Corp at 57 and love retirement.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Yes sir. Full time EMT. Plus part time... and more part time. You know how that goes. I'm just glad I'm not in it for the money! lol

I'm 25 and even I feel the pain after a busy day. All it takes is one call with a... not so skinny... patient who isn't currently conscious to have my back in pain after carrying them outside from the second floor!

Thanks for all your time put in and also for the time you clearly dedicate to keeping us informed on the current gun laws. I often tell people that if you want to truly know the ins and outs of local gun laws, you might as well get a law degree. A lot of ridiculous red tape to deal with!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links