Ohio Will Only Honor Arizona Resident Permit/License

This is a discussion on Ohio Will Only Honor Arizona Resident Permit/License within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The whole story. A gentleman contacted me stating he had contacted OH AG asking about AZ. OH AG told him he had to have an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio Will Only Honor Arizona Resident Permit/License

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Ohio Will Only Honor Arizona Resident Permit/License

The whole story. A gentleman contacted me stating he had contacted OH AG asking about AZ. OH AG told him he had to have an AZ Drivers License with his AZ Permit/License to be legal in Ohio. So I looked at the Agreement AZ and OH signed (You can View it Here: Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine - Arizona Concealed Carry Reciprocity Agreement

It states Resident twice. No other AZ Agreements state this with other states. No other Ohio Agreements they have with other states state this unless the state has it in their laws. (MI, SC & FL). From the paper work and confirmed by the OH AG they will not honor the AZ non-resident permit/license. Arizona started the paperwork and AZ put the Resident Only wording in the agreement. This agreement was signed in 2004.

The AG’s Office called me today after I sent an email asking them about all the permit/licenses they honored and if they would honor all those states Non Resident Permit/Licenses. I was just confirming this so I would have the correct information on Handgunlaw.us I never mentioned AZ etc. They confirmed they would honor all non-resident permits from states they honor except for Arizona. I told them it would be nice if they would put that info on their website. The AG’s Office told me they would forward my idea to put “Resident Permits Only” out from AZ on their reciprocity page at: Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine - Reciprocity agreements If they will do that or not I do not know.

I am updating the site this evening late and all the pages I upload will have a date of last updated of 4/20/12 as that was my scheduled update date. I believed I should get it posted as quick as possible.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

2. Remove Ads

Thanks, Gary!

Thanks Gary, that is a good bit of info to know.

Atty General Dewine has actually been a lot friendlier to the whole CHL field than most thought, and has been expanding our reciprocity. Which is good for us Ohioans, although it makes more work for you.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

With your permission...I'd like to quote your post on other forums.

mrjam2jab, Feel free to do it. This info needs to get out.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

It's always nice to know if you have a non resident permit which states will and will not honor it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Thanks Gary for keeping us updated!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

IT sucks that we have to keep track of whether places recognize only residents who have licenses in XXX state, or also recognize non-residents from that state............ on top of everything else.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I strongly suspect the reason for the requirement of an AZ drivers licence along with an AZ permit is AZ.....DOES NOT issue a ‘non resident’ permit as such. The only thing that would indicate it might be considered ‘non resident’ outside AZ is the address (out of state) that will be printed on the AZ permit. Nowhere on the permit does it state it is a non resident permit. The clue is the out of state address.

Lastly, all of us in the handgun world owe Gary Slider our thanks for the numerous hours he puts in keeping us up to date. Gary, on his site, invites notices of updates in a particular states laws of which one may become aware. Accept his genuine invitation. He will appreciate it.

Chris

If they has used OH's standard formatted agreement there wouldn't be an issue. Neither AZ nor OH care about the resident/non-resident issue...so it's really just bad wording.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    If they has used OH's standard formatted agreement there wouldn't be an issue. Neither AZ nor OH care about the resident/non-resident issue...so it's really just bad wording.
    Sorry, but not quite true. AZ REALLY does care about residency.

The first requirement for an AZ permit is:

“be a US Citizen OR a resident of the State”.
    Sounds simple enough until you REALLY think about it.

The US Citizen bit is simple enough. Basically, that means any US Citizen, regardless of where they reside may obtain a permit.

So why the “or a resident of the State. On the surface, it doesn’t make sense until you think about it. A problem of which we are ALL guilty. We don’t think !!!!!!

A LEGAL resident alien may obtain an AZ permit, and that permit is good in every state that honors an AZ permit. Let’s just use next door, NM, as an example. A legal resident alien with a NM permit (if such exists). That PERMIT would not be valid in AZ. However, with AZ Constitutional Carry laws, the permit would not be needed and the concealed carrier (legal) would satisfy AZ law.

The fact that AZ may not adhere to the OH format is irrelevant. AZ really could give a rats behind about OTHER state laws. What other states make of AZ laws/permits is up to them.

Chris

New Member Array marshallartist's Avatar
    Thanks for the info Gary. I live next door in IN and have my AZ paperwork all filled out. I guess I'll get the FL NR permit now.

Same here, was just getting ready to send a check to AZ - but I definitely won't now.

It was just stupid wording. No one can remember why it is in the agreement. Neither Ohio or Arizona care about resident or non resident but AZ stated it in the agreement. So that is what they signed and that is what they have to go with. I have ask the AZ DPS to amend or even send OH a new agreement with that wording removed. Don't know if it will do any good but it never hurts to ask.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

I just heard back from AZ Concealed Handgun Unit asking about them updating the agreement and they stated Ohio ask for that stipulation in the agreement. Being in 2004 that is possible OH wanted it as they were new to Reciprocity. That makes more sense to me as AZ has issued Non Resident permits for years. But Ohio never put it in any other agreements they had. I doubt we will ever know for sure why it is in there.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links