New concealed carry permit worthless?

This is a discussion on New concealed carry permit worthless? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Called the Florida license division and got the message that my non-resident carry permit is printed and mailed...yea! I have been researching all the local ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: New concealed carry permit worthless?

Exclamation New concealed carry permit worthless?

Called the Florida license division and got the message that my non-resident carry permit is printed and mailed...yea! I have been researching all the local and state laws for over a month now and feel comfortable with my understanding of them so all seems fine. Then I run across the Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act. And since I live in fairly densely populated city, I am within 1000 feet of a school zone 80% of the time...Uhh! Do local law enforcement agencies enforce this? I heard that it was created to be used in cases of gang and organized crime. I live in Arkansas and had my Hunter's Education firearms training and was saving about $75 by not having to take the training course and Florida's permit is good for 7 years and Arkansas' 5 years. I can transfer it to an Arkansas permit for about $75 but it will take 3 months to get it. Very frustrated. Oh well.
    Ut supra, Sic Infra...

2. Remove Ads

Trying to take shortcuts sometimes doesn't pay off.

The time it took you to research all of AR laws was most likely alot longer than it would have taken to attend a class with a certified instructor in your state.
    Hopyard and 1funvet like this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Nothing beats classroom work and if it is the law of your state, its the law of your state... 1000 feet sounds pretty long distance... Ours is 100 yds.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Not really taking a shortcut. Just didn't need the extra course and like I said Florida's is valid 2 more years. Better value all the way around in theory, and in these tough times I know I could use the extra money. Heck I live within 2 hours of Oklahoma and Missouri which I travel to often. This ridiculous law still makes a state issued permit from here limited for traveling.
    Ut supra, Sic Infra...

I live two blocks from my son's school. While I do not carry on school grounds (obviously) I don't worry about any perimeter law. It's where I live. My house is well within the 1000 ft rule. As you say, those laws are for thugs. Not folks who happen to live in the free fire zones. I figure when I leave the house, so long as my business has nothing to do with the school and will not put me on the grounds, I am good to go.

But this is a small town, and our LEOs understand the meaning of the word "reasonable." It helps when you shoot with them at local matches, and then have a beer with them after. Around here, folks still prefer "right and wrong" over "legal and illegal."
    Secret Spuk and nerdyvirgin like this.

I am talking about the Federal law that applies to all states. If you possess a non resident permit you cannot have a gun within a 1000 feet of a school. See link:

Concealed Carry Reciprocity is CURRENTLY banned under Federal Law. (Important)
    Ut supra, Sic Infra...

I thought about just asking an officer some time about it. But at the same time, kinda hesitant to shine a light on something that could become a tool against myself and other law abiding citizens. Never been trouble in my life and I really don't relish the thought of 5 years in prison.
    Ut supra, Sic Infra...

This topic has been brought up in several other forums and the general thoughts (not law but guesses) have been inline with what Multistage said. It's not for driving on main roads, your yard and so on. I know I drive past/through 4 school zones both ways just for work. Even been stopped at license checks close to 2 of the schools and never had any problems.

When in doubt CONTACT YOUR SHERIFF DEPARTMENT you don't need to give your whole name just ask your question and get the answer. If your worried about him getting your name from caller ID call from a payphone.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Let me get this straight, you applied and received a non-resident Florida CCW to use as your CCW in Arkansas, which is your state of residence?

Are you sure that is legit? It could be just a difference in our state's law's, but here in Virginia, (unless the law has changes recently), you have to hold a Virginia CCW if you are a resident, using an out of state permit if you are a VA resident as your in state permit to carry isn't legal. One would need a VA permit as well as an out of state permit, the VA permit allowing you to carry in the state and the out of state permit giving you reciprocity elsewhere.

Some state's won't issue you a non-resident permit unless you hold a permit from the state you reside in. You had better verify this and you should take whatever Arkansas requires as well or you may have issues in the future.

VIP Member
    The 1000 foot rule was/is normally used as an enhancement to a crime not as a specific crime in itself. You can drive by, live near a school and own and carry firearms you simply cannot carry them on school property or at a school event.

There are a couple of CCW instructors on here from Arkansas they could probably answer more.
    Secret Spuk and Hopyard like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Something does not seems right. Under Wisconsin law (recently enacted on Nov. 1, 2011) out of state permit holders are allowed to carry with 1000 feet but not on school grounds.
    A person who is a CCW licensee or out-of-state CCW licensee may possess a firearm within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school, but not in or on school grounds. Wis. Stat. 948.605(2)(b)1r.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Something does not seems right. Under Wisconsin law (recently enacted on Nov. 1, 2011) out of state permit holders are allowed to carry with 1000 feet but not on school grounds.
    A person who is a CCW licensee or out-of-state CCW licensee may possess a firearm within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school, but not in or on school grounds. Wis. Stat. 948.605(2)(b)1r.
    That is state law. The other is Federal. And the permit from Florida is a "non resident" permit and recognized in Arkansas as far as I can tell.
    Ut supra, Sic Infra...

Thanks tacman.
    Ut supra, Sic Infra...

Here is a link that shows what permits are honored where. Arkansas recognizes non-resident permits.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    Let me get this straight, you applied and received a non-resident Florida CCW to use as your CCW in Arkansas, which is your state of residence?

Are you sure that is legit? It could be just a difference in our state's law's, but here in Virginia, (unless the law has changes recently), you have to hold a Virginia CCW if you are a resident, using an out of state permit if you are a VA resident as your in state permit to carry isn't legal. One would need a VA permit as well as an out of state permit, the VA permit allowing you to carry in the state and the out of state permit giving you reciprocity elsewhere.

Some state's won't issue you a non-resident permit unless you hold a permit from the state you reside in. You had better verify this and you should take whatever Arkansas requires as well or you may have issues in the future.
    Ut supra, Sic Infra...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post

Can you cite that, because I do not believe this information is correct.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links