Arizona non-resident permit

This is a discussion on Arizona non-resident permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any thoughts on non-resident lead time for permits in Arizona. I submitted mine awhile ago and just curious more than anything?? Still have my Florida ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Arizona non-resident permit

Arizona non-resident permit

Any thoughts on non-resident lead time for permits in Arizona. I submitted mine awhile ago and just curious more than anything?? Still have my Florida permit, but that is not honored in Wisconsin.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Did you take the required 8 hour class IN Arizona? They won't issue without it. Other than that, I have no info on how long it takes.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Arizona in state training no longer required.
    Obtain a New Concealed Weapons Permit - Arizona Department of Public Safety

Due to changes made to A.R.S. 13-3112 during the 2010 and 2011 legislative sessions, effective July 20, 2011, the Concealed Weapons Permit Unit will no longer approve or renew concealed weapons training programs, training organizations, or firearms-safety instructors.

Amendments to A.R.S. 13-3112 in 2010 added a number of new ways in which an applicant could qualify for a concealed weapons permit through training or experience. These new additions removed the statutory minimum requirements which the Unit used to evaluate and approve training programs. Since there are no statutorily defined minimum requirements, the ability of DPS to evaluate, approve and support training programs has been greatly diminished. For this reason, after July 20, 2011, the Concealed Weapons Permit Unit will no longer update, support or sanction the use of the proprietary firearms-safety training course previously used to train permit holders. Furthermore, DPS will no longer review or approve any lesson plans and will no longer publish or update the “Legal Issues Relating to the Use of Deadly Force” guideline.

Additionally, since changes to A.R.S. 13-3112 made in the 2011 legislative session removed the authority for DPS to approve or authorize instructors and organizations, DPS will discontinue this practice. However, for those that currently hold an approval or authorization, current rules will still govern those approvals or authorizations until expiration pursuant to A.A.C. R13-9-309, which provides that a firearms-safety instructor approval is valid for 5 years from the date of issuance or renewal and the authorization of an instructor who holds a valid concealed weapon permit will expire when his current permit expires.

Going forward, liability for use of previously approved training programs rests solely on the instructor and or organization.

That is the way I understood it when I applied. They accept the hunter safety course given by their own fish and wildlife dept or the equal of another state. So I am attempting to get mine through my hunter safety course I went through in Illinois. Honestly kind of a test run on my end, but I figured I'd try.

AZ does NOT issue a Non Resident permit as such. A full explanation can be found at:

Ohio Will Only Honor Arizona Resident Permit/License

Chris

AZ permit took 9 weeks for me earlier this year using an NRA course and just to be sure copies of two of my other permits, no problem. Took my wife only 4 weeks at the same time using DD214-veteran's preference or maybe beauty preference? Needed this since my Utah and now Florida and Virginia permits are no longer honored in NM.

VIP Member
    Thanks for that guys as what I told you is what shows on handgunlaw.us. I just linked Gary of handgunlaw.us to this thread for him to check it out and make corrections as necessary.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    AZ is currently (right now) backlogged in opening applications for out of state permits. As of Monday, they had just opened out of state applications that had arrived by March 3, 2012. My son called to check to see that they got it, and he was not in the system yet. They had not opened his application yet = roughly a 6 to 7 week backlog in starting to process the application, the best we can figure out.

If you call them at the below number, a very nice person will confirm if they have or have not entered your application into the system for processing (e.g. opened your application).

Phone / Fax
    Metro Phoenix: (602) 256-6280
    Outside Metro Phoenix (In Arizona): (800) 256-6280
    Fax: (602) 223-2928

After that, the best I can figure on personal experience and talking to friends, is it takes 6 to 8 weeks (and possibly as short as 5 weeks with a good DD-214 and other current NRA or Hunting Safety class certificates included in your package).

It is not the fingerprint check with the FBI database in Wv that takes time, its the manpower they have to process, print and mail the card that takes time.

Also, as was mentioned above, if you have other ID like a federally issued ID, along with the required DL, this sometimes helps the process.

Thanks for the information. I might try to call in a week or so if I dont hear anything.

KInda weird reading these time frames. When i applied Oct 2010...took 2 weeks round trip.

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    @ mrjam2jab There has been a 'big spike' in the volume of applications in the last year............................. wonder why :-) I just don't think they anticipated that and are limited to the number of people they budgeted for the year to process the larger volume of applications.

I would like to also complement AZ/Metro that everytime I had called in the past, or my son has called as late of this week, they have been absolutely professional, polite, quick and a real pleasure to talk to. However, after you know that they have the application, there is really no value to calling them again to see 'when is it coming' unless you know its been more than 7 or 8 weeks after they initially processed (opened the application).
    I think they are doing the best they can, and I appreciate that.

Hi CCW... Welcome to the forum from VA!

Have faith! I mailed my AZ non-resident app out on March 2nd. I just received it in the mail today!!!!!
    (Can I dance like that or is there a girl version?!)
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Quote Originally Posted by DAO.Diva View Post
    Hi CCW... Welcome to the forum from VA!

Have faith! I mailed my AZ non-resident app out on March 2nd. I just received it in the mail today!!!!!
    (Can I dance like that or is there a girl version?!)
    Wow you just made my night. Do you mind if I ask what you used for your training requirement?

Quote Originally Posted by ccwillinois View Post
    Do you mind if I ask what you used for your training requirement?
    I took 3 NRA classes. Basic pistol. Personal Protection in the Home. Personal Protection Outside the Home. I don't think all 3 are necessary but I took them last year when I first started out and thought AZ would like that. They did!
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Interesting to hear of the increased backlog. As mentioned upthread, when I got mine in September 2010 I had it back 9 days after sending it, and that included a holiday off-day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark IL NM View Post
    AZ permit took 9 weeks for me earlier this year using an NRA course and just to be sure copies of two of my other permits, no problem. Took my wife only 4 weeks at the same time using DD214-veteran's preference or maybe beauty preference? Needed this since my Utah and now Florida and Virginia permits are no longer honored in NM.
    Mark, I hate to say this but I would start planning for NM to drop AZ soon. I think it is only a matter of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links