Legal or Safe?

Legal or Safe?

This is a discussion on Legal or Safe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently had to make a really tough decision about carrying a firearm on a road trip. I was driving from Georgia to Niagara Falls ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal or Safe?

Legal or Safe?

I recently had to make a really tough decision about carrying a firearm on a road trip. I was driving from Georgia to Niagara Falls new York for a family reunion at my brothers place.

I reviewed current handgun laws well in advance to know what was legal. Several states allowed me to carry concealed, most of the rest allowed loaded firearm in the car if it was exposed however the snag was New York. No handguns allowed. Not locked in the trunk or anything. So my choice was a 900 mile drive with no handgun or to stash it in the car while in new York and risk a felony.

I had pretty much convinced myself to carry the Kel-Tec P32 right up till time to load the car. I know the chance of anything happening in New York to cause my car to be searched enough to find a well hidden handgun was very slim but a felony would mean no more CCW,No more firearm ownership, no shooting,no deer hunting.

I wimped out and just could not make myself take the chance. The trip went well and I never had any cause for concern but of course I felt pretty naked without a firearm.
    I also was in the area where two NY State troopers were shot and one later died from his wounds. I never went through a road block but the police were everywhere you looked in that area.

Was I foolish or was I being smart?

being smart, not worth the risk, I'd have bought some pepper spray.

You were being extremely smart. Remember your primary weapon is always between your ears. Use this weapon wisely and most times you will never even have to touch your firearm. As long as you were vigilent, (and had at least a good blade with you) I say very good decision.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

VIP Member
    I agree with what others have said, and I am also thankful I do not currently have any reason to go to New York. You did the right thing, IMO, and thank goodness you were safe!

Just don't go there period. I make it a point not to go to gun-unfriendly states - if I can't feel comfortable during my trip, why would I want to go there anyways?

Just my 2 cents.

VIP Member
    Good move... stay legal is the smart solution.

An Idea here but I need help. Where could he have left his gun secured before entering NY or any state with similar laws? I mean like a safe deposit box rental for a few days or public storage (secured) or similar.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Good move i live usede to live in NY and now live in NC. My brother inlaw is a NYC Det. and came to NC and i was asking him about taking my gun to NY and he was telling me that in NY you can have it on you in your car nothing. Long story short my Friend was going back to NY to visit and i told him (just got CCW) that he could not bring his gun and that he could not hide it in the car. he told me he taken it to NY before. I dont know if he taken it with him to NY but i dont think it would be a very good thing to give up ev erything for 1 trip to NY. I think you did the right thing not to take your gun.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I would never go to NU Yok Sitty/State or anywhere else in that or any other state/city that will not let me carry a firearm. May limit where I go, but it also limits where I spend my money.

Jungle Work

I Would Have Done the Same...

in your situation...but I would NEVER visit NY.
    The risk is not worth losing your permit...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assistant Administrator
    Another ditto - you were wise.

I have had three bike runs this summer down into MD and have left the piece behind - reluctantly. Really chokes me but - like it or not, we gotta stay legit'.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Personally, Im not about to let some communist sumbich that calls himself a politician tell me that I cant protect my family. Its places like that the you need them the most because the thugs know that most people will rather be legal than armed.

With that being said, the instructor in me applauds your decision to stay legal.

In realty though, if you NEED a gun, being LEGAL aint gonna cut the mustard.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    Tough decision, but ultimately you made the better choice. The chances of needing the gun are about the same as being arrested for carrying I imagine.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I think you made the right choice.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    You were wise in todays climate. Many, many years ago, I used to fly into Newark or LaGuardia and work on a rough area of Jersey City. This was before airline carryons were searched or scanned. I carried a .38 snubbie in my brief case and kept it with me all the while I worked in Jersey City. Nobody Knew about it and I was never found out. If I ever had to use it, they'd have probably put me under the jail. New Jersey is the pits where firearms are concerned, especially from a Georgia boy working the big city. I'd never try it today. You did good.

Great posts. Take it a step further though...

Do you carry in your states prohibited areas 'cause you're only going into the school (bank, post office, etc.) for a minute? True this situation is a little different because of time, distance, ability to leave weapon in car, but the principle is the same. Follow the law because it is the right thing to do, not because it makes sense (laws often don't). Personally, I feel like I have a higher standard to live up to than the average Joe (read non-CCW). Remember, we are the good guys! IMO nothing would be worse than losing gun rights due to a felony, except perhaps losing my gun rights to tyranny!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links