Open Eyes

This is a discussion on Open Eyes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before I had my CHL I never took much notice to the crimes in my area or the specific crimes going on. I just assumed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Open Eyes

Open Eyes

Before I had my CHL I never took much notice to the crimes in my area or the specific crimes going on. I just assumed I lived in a good area and didn't worry about it. Since I got my CHL I've paid a little more attention to the happenings in my city and I'm kind of amazed. I do live in a good area comparatively but there is still more crime and home burglaries than I expected.

Anyone else have their eyes opened after getting their CHL or who got the license because their eyes were opened?

2. Remove Ads

My eyes have always been open even before carry permit status.

I just think there is more crime now for just a ton of reasons.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    I got my first permit while living in a small town in SW Oklahoma. Nothing seriously ever happened there, outside of the ghetto neighborhoods. However I was aware of things happening in places like OKC/Lawton and Wichita Falls TX, which were close by. Didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out things would be moving out to small town America.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I live in a small farm town in Idaho, and there is no crime here. The next largest city is eighty miles away were you would go to do all of your major shopping. There is little to no crime there either, but I still make it a point to be aware of my surroundings no matter were I am because you just never know whats going to happen no matter were you are.

I know I have. I have installed a security system in my apartment.

I started carrying because I opened my eyes, not vice versa.
    Doghandler likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I have been at my present residence for 6 years - had my carry license for 5.

Used to be nothing happened here - but robberies and assaults are up the last 2 yrs.,and the gangs from the large cities
    are showing up more in the small towns.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

My eyes have been open awhile; now my wife? She started working at the county detention center last May, and her eyes were opened quick. She does data, and sees all the address'.
    --Jason--

lifelong lack of faith in humanity; wisconsin just got cwp. applied as soon as the wait dyed down.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

little to.no crimes where i live, but gotta be prepared in case some bg's may be passing through town.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I started carrying because I opened my eyes, not vice versa.
    ^^^^^same here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TxRhino View Post
    Before I had my CHL I never took much notice to the crimes in my area or the specific crimes going on. I just assumed I lived in a good area and didn't worry about it. Since I got my CHL I've paid a little more attention to the happenings in my city and I'm kind of amazed. I do live in a good area comparatively but there is still more crime and home burglaries than I expected.

Anyone else have their eyes opened after getting their CHL or who got the license because their eyes were opened?
    Heck, for me paying attention to crime in my region came with the responsibility of owning a home. Recognizing that, although I live in a decent enough neighborhood, there was still crime creep to be watchful for...all of which led to the decision to purchase my first firearms & then to get my permit.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by TxRhino View Post

The reasons I started carrying actually. My eyes were opened before seeking government approval. That, and I knew nobody else would take care of me but me. Opening eyes is our responsibility. No real cause and effect other than individual needs. Crime doesn't need to happen in your area to open your eyes.......you've just got to know the potential exists. You'll often find that what you "expect" and what's real have a large gap.

I have noticed a fairly significant increase of crime in my area. Home invasions, bank robberies, shootings. Almost all is happening inside the city limits.

Where I'm at, most weekends you can hear people shooting their guns all around me on their property. I think hearing range shooting on private property probably gives BG's pause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

I live out in the country and it annoys me to no end that I have to lock my truck when I go to town. It never used to be this way in our small rural towns. Crime is increasing everywhere.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links