If only sanity was contagious! Judge E.B. Legg for President!

If only sanity was contagious! Judge E.B. Legg for President!

This is a discussion on If only sanity was contagious! Judge E.B. Legg for President! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From NRA Shooting Illustrated May 2012 p. 12: Entitled "Concealed Carry Court Victory" Judge Everett Benson Legg ruled that Maryland's requirement for a "good and ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NYMike
  • 1 Post By Crowman

Thread: If only sanity was contagious! Judge E.B. Legg for President!

Thumbs up If only sanity was contagious! Judge E.B. Legg for President!

From NRA Shooting Illustrated May 2012 p. 12:

Entitled "Concealed Carry Court Victory"

Judge Everett Benson Legg ruled that Maryland's requirement for a "good and substantial reason" to obtain a [ccw] violates [2As] protection of the RKBA.

In his ruling he writes, "...the right to bear arms is not limited to the home."

And here is my favorite part...
    He adds: "A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to excercise his rights The right's existence is all the reason he needs"

I wished he used the word "should" instead of "may" in the last paragraph. Context is everything... And of course the great state of Maryland plans to appeal the ruling. U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg To Maryland Gun Grabbers: GFY The Sniper
    stancehold likes this.

I see no real problem with the word may. Yes he could have should or shall. He was telling Maryland that they can not require someone to give a good and substantial reason. He is telling Maryland that if a person applies for a CC permit/license they do not need a reason. In essence he is saying the 2nd amendment meets the "good and substantial reason" automatically.
    oneshot likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I know somebody from Maryland,and he has a TX resident CHL,but has to disarm in the State where his fiancees sister was killed by her husband,I actually got her on the gun range and she fired my 22's and my XD9,guns still freak her out,but if she needed to she has the ability to use her Fiancees if needed.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Finally, someone in authority near Disneyland on the Potomac is starting to make sense!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links