kel tec pf9 for carry

kel tec pf9 for carry

This is a discussion on kel tec pf9 for carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; is the pf9 adiquate for carry not caliber but capicity if i have spare mag. would you feel comfortable with the pf9 being your primary ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: kel tec pf9 for carry

kel tec pf9 for carry

is the pf9 adiquate for carry not caliber but capicity if i have spare mag. would you feel comfortable with the pf9 being your primary carry gun
    do not morne death but celebrate life

Many people do feel comfortable with it yes. It's going to be a matter of what suits YOUR needs, and makes YOU feel comfortable.

I just got an M&P Shield today to replace a .380 Ruger LCP as my back-up gun. However, I would feel perfectly comfortable with the Shield as my primary if what I was wearing did not allow for carrying a high capacity pistol. Something I didn't feel comfortable doing with a .380.
    oneshot and TN_Mike like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sure, I carry something very similar with the exception of the type of pistol. I usually carry one of my Kahrs or my PPS with a couple of mags. Being a single stack 9, I carry the additional mag just for good measure.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Carry capacity plus a spare mag is enough for carry...but make sure it is reliable before you make it your EDC. I had a problem with light strikes in the pf9 after approx 50 rounds. Did the fluff and buff/firing pin clean but still had problems. Sent it back for repair and when I got it back everything was fine until about 100 rounds in and then same problem again. Finally replaced it with a Kahr cm9 because I couldn't rely on the keltec as a SD weapon. Many people have them and like them but several have problems with them. Keltec lovers always say problems are caused by limp wristing or inexperienced users. I don't fall in either category but still had problems with mine (I didn't trade mine in because I didn't want to pass along my problems to others). If yours is reliable feel comfortable carrying it with a spare mag...just make sure it is 100% before you make it your EDC.
    sid1 likes this.

I dont believe the PF9 to be reliable enough to carry, IMO. I sold mine after 200 rnds. You get what you pay for ;)
    TN_Mike and rigel42 like this.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    The PF9 with spare mag is perfectly adequate in terms of capacity. I owned one for a fews weeks but didnt care for the trigger and got rid of it. I really wish that wasnt the case, It is a nice little gun!

VIP Member
    Even without a spare magazine the PF9 should be fine. Many people are now carrying single stack 9's as their primary weapon.
    sid1 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by glock42 View Post
    is the pf9 adiquate for carry not caliber but capicity if i have spare mag. would you feel comfortable with the pf9 being your primary carry gun
    In hot weather I carry my PF9 in place of my G26. It's very reliable and I don't worry about the 7rd capacity. I do have a 2nd mag which sometime I carry, sometimes I don't. If you can't hit what your trying to shoot with 7rds you shouldn't be carrying a gun. The PF9 is very reliable and easy to hide. I've never once had a FTF or FTE. I'll never understand the people that say there always messing up, jamming, inaccurate etc. I couple of my buddies have them too and they have also had no issues whatsoever. I think some people go to the range with it, put there target on the backstop and wonder why it's off, it's an up close and personal gun and should be treated as such. I usually shoot at 25ft with it at the range and it's very accurate. I'm sure I can push it further but why? No SD shooting will be more than that or even at that! When I want to shoot distances that's what my full size guns are for.

Kinda depends, I've had the pf12 and I picked up a pf9...While I get some sting on my finger durning blowback I don't think its unreliable.

It is a good pocket gun, but I feel like a 442 would better suit me, I have a G19 in the safe too but cant always carry it.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    The capacity of the PF9 is fine. If you can shoot it well and you find it reliable with your carry ammo, you should be good-to-go.

i don't think you will use more than 2-3 rounds in most defensive situations, if you are acting properly. just my opinion. every scenario i have read about the attacker fled as soon as they realized they were facing an armed opponent. if you empty your magazine on a guy when the threat is clearly over and he is running you are gonna end up with a manslaughter charge.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Distinguished Member
    I had the PF9 for a couple of months and, while it is quite concealable, it hurt my hand and finger every time I went to train with it (I believe you should train, train, train with your EDC so you know you can use it correctly in a situation). So I moved to the M&P. But if you can deal with the way the PF9 shoots, and you can be accurate with it (I am way more accurate with my M&P than my former PF9) it will be fine. But if you find you can't go shoot and shoot and shoot it, then I would suggest finding something more comfortable.

As for the mag capacity, I had bought the 1 round extender so it made the mag have 8 rounds (as well as extend the handle a bit so it was easier to fit in my hand) and then carried one in the chamber. So I had 9 rounds with it. I also carried a spare mag. People may say, "I don't think you will use more than 2-3 rounds in most defensive situations," but it isn't just what you might or might not fire. There are times you may find you have a problem with your mag and wouldn't it be nice to not have to say, "oops!" and find you are in trouble or just switch mags. Also, what if you are out when a natural disaster occurs? You might find yourself wanting more than 7 rounds when trying to make it back home, or to wherever you are going to go. But without the extra mag, it still should do you fine if you find that it is fine for you.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I've been carrying the PF-9 since I received my permit last summer. I bought the +1 mag extension recently, and carry 8 + 1 in the holster and 2 spare mags. I feel that I've got what amounts to an adequate amount of firepower - not that I ever want to prove/disprove it.
    sid1 likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Personally, I like having 10+1. That being said 7+1 in the PF9 isn't bad by any stretch. There are plenty of people out there that feel perfectly comfortable with a 5 shot snub nose revolver. What you really have to do is look at your daily coming and goings and the areas and types of situations you normally find yourself in. Then you can start to decide if 7+1 is enough capacity for you.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by bamfsig45 View Post
    I dont believe the PF9 to be reliable enough to carry, IMO. I sold mine after 200 rnds. You get what you pay for ;)
    I have heard this many times and this is the primary reason I didn't buy a PF9. When I was looking for a slim, single stack 9mm for CCW I considered the PF9. After requesting opinions here and on several other forums the overwhelming majority of responses told me that they weren't reliable enough to buy one.

That's just me. If yours is reliable, then I say be happy with it. As for capacity, most civilian gun fights are over with less than 3 rounds fired. So I would think the PF9 is fine for carry. I carry a Kahr CW9 most of the time. It holds 7 in the mag. I feel perfectly well armed with that. I do carry a spare 8 round magazine as well.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links