Dogs at Walmart - How'd I do?

This is a discussion on Dogs at Walmart - How'd I do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last weekend, I decided that 2:30 would be a good time to go to Wal-Mart. I was wrong: it was a zoo. I got what ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Dogs at Walmart - How'd I do?

Last weekend, I decided that 2:30 would be a good time to go to Wal-Mart. I was wrong: it was a zoo. I got what I needed and walked out.

As I was walking to my truck, there was an older lady standing around, looking lost. I always park my vehicle pretty far away from the mass confusion, so she stood out like a sore thumb. She asked If I would accompany her to her car because there were two scary pit-bull mixes in the back of a truck, no kennel, no nothing.

I kind of stood around for a split second, looked at the dogs, and made a route for us. The truck with the dogs was about 20 yards from this lady's vehicle. The only advantage we had was a long metal cart holder in between us. As we were nearing her car, the larger dog was frenzied himself so bad that he jumped/fell out at the truck. This surprised me (I didn't think he'd actually get out) and frightened the old lady. She was fumbling around with her key in the lock, looking at the running dog, and at the lock....

Now, I knew that it'd have to be pretty severe case of being attacked of ever pulling out your weapon. I always have M&P .40 inside a CBST. Once the dog made his move towards us, I ran in front of the lady, meeting the dog. I had my 4 inch Benchmade drawn, and held down low. I've been in Tae Kwon Do for many years, so I was prepared to use my kicks before I had to use the knife.

Whatever it was, the dog stopped a few feet from me. I honestly feel like it was my aggressive run/stance/verbal commands at the dog. It's almost like it knew it was going to get messed up one way or another.

Afterwards, the lady thanked me, to which I told her it was no big deal. After I got home, I started to think a little bit, and thought of scenarios if both dogs were to come out.

I thought I acted as well as I could've at the time. What do you guys think? Anyone else ever have a similar experience?
    Last edited by rstickle; April 22nd, 2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Language work around

mrm
    I think you did very well other than I really think I would have had a hard time not calling the police and reporting the dumb a@@ who did not have them locked up if they were aggresive.
    sid1, 357and40, beararms and 4 others like this.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

ever since i got bit pretty badly from a german shepherd i have become weary of other peoples aggressive dogs...

you did better than i would have...as well as doing a nice thing for an old lady

Damn, I totally forgot to add that I did call the sheriff's office after this after this... They sent a deputy down to wait for the owner to come out.
    WHEC724, Tlove, beararms and 2 others like this.

Hopefully they wrote him a ticket

VIP Member
    I think you did fine, and especially with the training you say you've been exposed to, you could have had both mutts laid out in 1 min. or less with the knife.
    Before my brother was a FF, he worked for the city's water dept. and got the (easy) position of meter reader, when in the day, the meter was usually in the basement.
    He has had to stare down many a pooch, and was not afraid, and says the dog, 9 out of 10 times will sense YOU are a greater threat to it, than it is to you.
    tcox4freedom and beararms like this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Scary encounter, although I don't understand your defensive strategy against a supposedly vicious, charging dog. You had a 40 M&P in a CBST, a 4" Benchmade in your hand, and years of Tae Kwon Do training and let a vicious charging dog get within a feet of you and an old lady? What did the dog do after it stopped charging? Where was the dog and what was it doing while you and the old lady were exchanging kudos? I'm left thinking it must have just wandered on back to the truck and never threatened anyone else. Glad you did take the time to report it though.
    Tutapper likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

To be honest, its good to see someone HELP another. Its rare in our society...Good job to the OP.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I would shoot most humans before I shot a dog. I think you handled it very well. When my parents walk their dog they carry "Bear pepper mace" and it has gotten them out of two attacks so far.
    Edward7 and tcox4freedom like this.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

Oh, I certainly didn't say the dog was charging. That's kind of what I meant by saying it jumped/fell out of the truck. The dog was in an brisk walk with his nose down and hairs up. The dog heeded within a few feet, and I knew that once it did, it wasn't going to come any closer.

As far as the lady goes, I stood there and as the dog sniffed around and told the lady to get into her vehicle. I then walked backwards to my truck, called the sheriff and waited. Meanwhile, the dog sniffed his way around the area, eventually going towards the marsh-y reeds in the deserted part of the lot.

In no way am I going to draw my weapon on a dog in a extremely crowded Wal-Mart parking lot, if that's what you're getting at. Plenty of other options before it needs to get too dramatic.
    tcox4freedom and MisterFleas like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Scary encounter, although I don't understand your defensive strategy against a supposedly vicious, charging dog. You had a 40 M&P in a CBST, a 4" Benchmade in your hand, and years of Tae Kwon Do training and let a vicious charging dog get within a feet of you and an old lady? What did the dog do after it stopped charging? Where was the dog and what was it doing while you and the old lady were exchanging kudos? I'm left thinking it must have just wandered on back to the truck and never threatened anyone else. Glad you did take the time to report it though.
    Sorry, post above is in response to this.

Distinguished Member
    I recently walked by a house in our neighborhood where the dogs always barked and lunged at the gate as anyone walked past. I had in my mind that I wanted to have something to, hopefully, stop them before having to use any kind of lethal force (be it knife or gun) and so I got some pepper spray and carried it. So, one day recently I went out and down the block and saw this Husky in that yard who was trying to lift the thing that held the gate in place. So all of a sudden I hear the gate swing open and 4 dogs come charging at me. I quickly pulled my spray and took a defensive stand and yelled out NO! when spraying towards them when they were about 20 feet away. They stopped in their tracks, looked at me and then took off down the street in the opposite direction of where I was going. I now have my kids carry spray when out walking because no telling if they will get out again (the people finally put a big chain around the fence after they had escaped two more times in the subsequent days). I also had called the police and they had a chat with the people.
    beararms likes this.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I think you handled it very well and for all women in Walmart parking lots across the nation....THANK YOU! (I believe this image is a Thumbs Up)
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    I recently walked by a house in our neighborhood where the dogs always barked and lunged at the gate as anyone walked past. I had in my mind that I wanted to have something to, hopefully, stop them before having to use any kind of lethal force (be it knife or gun) and so I got some pepper spray and carried it. So, one day recently I went out and down the block and saw this Husky in that yard who was trying to lift the thing that held the gate in place. So all of a sudden I hear the gate swing open and 4 dogs come charging at me. I quickly pulled my spray and took a defensive stand and yelled out NO! when spraying towards them when they were about 20 feet away. They stopped in their tracks, looked at me and then took off down the street in the opposite direction of where I was going. I now have my kids carry spray when out walking because no telling if they will get out again (the people finally put a big chain around the fence after they had escaped two more times in the subsequent days). I also had called the police and they had a chat with the people.
    Good for you. I've been thinking about getting some spray lately. I also realized this - It's extremely important to train with both hands and feet, no matter what you're doing. I didn't realize this until later, but I had my knife in my left hand (I'm right handed), because I wanted my right foot/shin cocked back, and wanted the knife to keep the most distance if need be. All of this was done because of training my knife in both hands.

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    They could have been responding to your authority of voice. We had a diabetic in crisis and the firefighters were standing at the bedroom door talking about a dog that wouldn't let them in. They were talking about having the LEO respond and shoot the dog. I looked in a room and saw a Irish Setter joyfully running around, wagging his tail so hard his entire back end was moving. I saw the movie Big Red and knew their reputation was that of "clowns".
    I opened the door and in a stern voice ordered the dog into the bathroom. He did so immediately. We treated the patient and everyone lived. This has worked with humans on occasion too.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links