Gun pulled on me, how would you handle the situation? - Page 2

Gun pulled on me, how would you handle the situation?

This is a discussion on Gun pulled on me, how would you handle the situation? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Stay OUT of situations, especially like the first, that provoke other people - why ask for trouble? And the second, assume nothing, don't stop and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Gun pulled on me, how would you handle the situation?

Stay OUT of situations, especially like the first, that provoke other people - why ask for trouble? And the second, assume nothing, don't stop and roll your window down and interact with others, unless you know them, then just wave (traffic safety). You could have gotten shot, who cares if they broke the law, you have a more immediate problem: a bullet hitting your skull.

Especially if you carry a gun but no matter when: be cool, careful and avoid danger. Sometimes the best way to win is not to play the game.

If you shoot someone in those two types of scenarios, you will be going to prison. Maybe not for murder, but negligent homocide or reckless endangerment, etc will definately be a very good possibility. At the least you will owe some lawyer tens of thousands of dollars for your defense, plus the civil suit by the family later down the road. High levels of testosterone and guns do not mix. You may want to leave your gun at home for another ten years, or until your judgement improves.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    The courts would find that you "instigated" both of them. Since I've been carrying I've made sure to mind my own business. Oh, and "flipping" someone off can land you a disorderly conduct, just a FYI.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Levathain View Post
    I'm a lot smarter now at the age of 23 and having the responsibility in having a concealed license. I would never have done the same things in the same situation that I was in. I was just thinking back on those and what would I have done in both scenarios. It's a really tough call.
    If you think you are wise now, wait till you're 30 or more. Believe me, I know as I had a CCW since I was 21 and now in my middle ages. Being young with a lot of testosterone can cause an aggressive mindset. Be aware of that. Don't let the ability to carry a firearm influence common sense. In other words, avoid trouble if you can. Do not allow something to escalate if avoidable. Retreat if you can. The last resort is to draw a gun and fire. The mindset should not be first thinking about how to out shoot someone else, but to avoid it. Even if you win in a shoot out, you are still going to be detained, questioned, and possibly charged. Your gun will be confiscated. If charged, you are going to have to hire a lawyer for around a $25,000 retainer. If it goes to court, could end up costing $50,000 or more. Look at the recent news from Florida. Going to cost him (or his family) a lot of money.

If you have no option but to defend yourself, then that is what you have to do. But it is worth avoiding that situation whenever possible.

Those were not tough calls at all as each was totally avoidable if behaved with common sense and humility. In the first, always stupid for anyone to get shot over a road rage incident whoever the party is. Also, you made a tactical mistake in assuming that the threat was gone and that you let your guard down. If he wanted to shoot you, he could have before you even saw him. By the way, you should have called the police with the license number. In the second, kind of dumb to get into a shoot out over a rolled down car window. Again, if he wanted to, he would have emptied an entire magazine at you before you had a chance to get a weapon out. The back seat passenger was probably armed too and would also be firing at you. Think you can stay upright to draw and fire back with so many bullets coming at you. Also difficult to draw and effectively/accurately fire from a sitting position in a car. Can't return fire very well over your shoulder at the backseat passenger too. Another tactical disadvantage was that his driver was free to drive and the passenger(s) to shoot. You could not do both. The best option is to step on the gas pedal to make yourself a moving target and gain separation. A car is a pretty decent weapon too if you had to ram them. Just that we are programmed not to drive like that. Either case, you would not have had a good chance of surviving if the gun brandishers intended to shoot you.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Regardless if I started the conflict in the first one it does not justify someone pulling a gun obviously. If he would have shot me would it be justified since I flipped his wife off?
    Justified? Not justified? I can tell you if I were on a jury determining your fate for shooting the other guy and the facts in Scenario 1 come out, you would be going to jail. You also would probably lose your family treasury if there was a civil trial.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I think your options are very limited, If someone pulls a gun on you? Hypothetically lets say you also had a gun with you, the other party drew first so your chances of drawing a weapon is slim and a dumb situation turns to a real bad situation.
    I think your only other option would have been to step on the gas and get out of that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    I can't recall ever giving anybody the finger, and I realize that it escalated the situation, but it doesn't mean the op should have had a gun pulled on him. Giving somebody the finger is not really a big deal. Pointing a pistol at somebody is a huge deal.

Your SA should have been in high yellow after the initial incident in scenario one. You should have seen the car pulling up while you were walking and realized that something was up and gotten some cover or created some distance. If the guy started seeking you out in an aggressive manner then you know it's bad and you act accordingly.
    Sadly, it is for many people, and can get you harrassed, berated, beat, or killed. Keep your fingers where they belong - on the steering wheel. Life is so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Justified? Not justified? I can tell you if I were on a jury determining your fate for shooting the other guy and the facts in Scenario 1 come out, you would be going to jail. You also would probably lose your family treasury if there was a civil trial.
    Wow, you would find me guilty? You probably should rethink carrying a gun yourself if you think it's ok to pull a gun on someone who made you mad by flipping your wife off.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

OP, here's the thing about getting into shooting situations no matter if you are right or wrong. Things can turn out very differently when it comes to legal matters. If you had a gun at the time when confronted, got into a shoot out and wounded the brandisher, he will tell the police that you pulled out your gun earlier on the road and pointed it at his child and wife. He will say after getting away before being shot at, that he was acting to apprehend you and make a citizen's arrest as you were an immediate threat to the community. We'll also assume he has a permit to carry. Or if you killed him, his wife will make that claim. Can you disprove that? Not really because you did have a gun. Your friend's testimony won't count for much in front of a jury. Only testimony from a neutral witness that did not know either party will be influential to a jury. With no such witness and that you were going to shoot at a child and wife would not look good to a jury. Can you afford a top notch attorney? Want to take those chances in court? Can't have a gun in prison and once out as a convicted felon, you can't own any guns. Is it worth it for anything petty? Things can turn on you in a heartbeat. So the best advice is to be humble and be on the alert to avoid trouble. You can't control people, only yourself.

Regardless if I started the conflict in the first one it does not justify someone pulling a gun obviously. If he would have shot me would it be justified since I flipped his wife off?
    No it would not be justified on his part. But seeing as you where involved in starting it at some point it makes it more difficult to prove you were justified to shoot. Basically, there is a back story to the incident you would have to explain if you acted in self defense. That's troublesome at best, or you could be seen as the instigator at worst. Turn the tables a bit, random guy pulls up and points a gun at you. You would be completely justified if you shot him. I think current events bear out the problem with looking like you instigated any part of a SD shoot.

Second one, justified? Most likely. It would have gotten very ugly, very quickly though.

Good news, you're around to tell the story.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Seems foolish all around. The problem with getting in the mud with the pig is that you are in the mud. Stay out of the mud.

A suggestion I just know you don't want to hear. Put the gun away for awhile. I'm not sure you have attained the judgement necessary to determine when lethal force is required and how to avoid those types of situations. This is not an insult - different people mature at different times in their lives.
    Bark'n and nerdyvirgin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconHunter View Post
    In both scenarios, you were lucky they were just posturing, because even if you had a gun you probably would have lost.

I'm curious, did you call the police after either one?
    Both of these, crazy situations and the definition of how reasonable concealed carry persons should not act (pulling a gun on people for stupid stuff) but call the cops, report it. In neither situation was the person with the gun justified in brandishing it.

I would also try to keep the memory of these situations out of your immediate memory. They happened but they are not a lesson of wrong or "if I had a gun", you're alive, be happy for that first.

Also there was a vehicle in front of me in situation number 2. So you are saying you would have waited to be shot by the guy in situation 1 until you would have done anything? You can't look at it like your not gunna get shot just because I wasn't, you wouldn't know that at the time.
    Oops! Major party foul!

You can't change the scenario once it's already started. That just blows everyone's responses out of the water.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The correct response would have been to call the police and let them handle it.

Second situation, I would not have responded to his remarks. I would have run the light when he produced the gun and had my friend on the phone to the police.
    Correct response to both scenarios.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Wow, you would find me guilty? You probably should rethink carrying a gun yourself if you think it's ok to pull a gun on someone who made you mad by flipping your wife off.
    Sorry if I got this one backwards--my apologies. My point was that anyone who presents a firearm because of a flip of the finger is guilty of brandishing. Guess my 70 year old eyes did not read your thread very well. IMO, and it is easy to write this on a computer and not so easy to have it happen in real life, imminent danger to life or bodily injury is the only reason for your firearm to be in play and if it is in play it is because that next second it will be used.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links