Gun pulled on me, how would you handle the situation?

This is a discussion on Gun pulled on me, how would you handle the situation? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I was younger before I could carry I got guns pulled on me twice in similar circumstances. 1st situation we were driving behind this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Gun pulled on me, how would you handle the situation?

When I was younger before I could carry I got guns pulled on me twice in similar circumstances. 1st situation we were driving behind this guy with his wife and kid in the car, the wife keeps glaring at us so I flip her off (this was when I was young and stupid) the guy in the car slams on his brakes and my friend who was driving swerves around them and then they start following us. My friends car was a lot faster than theirs so we got away from them after a few blocks and turns. We got to our location and did our business and while we were walking back to the car the same people pull up and stopped and the guy says "you driving like that with my kid in the car is like having a gun pointed at you" then he pulls out a gun and points it at me and my friend, then says some other choice words and takes off. We didn't do any driving that would endanger him, he was the one who had slammed on his brakes and then continued to chase us, if anyone he was the one clearly endangering his kid and wife. In this circumstance his kid was in the back seat, wife in the passenger seat, would you have pulled your gun and fired on him after he pulled his gun and pointed at you?

Second situation: I was driving and my friend was in the passenger seat. My friend told me the people in the other lane were his friends so I rolled my window down at pulled next to them at the stop light. It turned out that it wasn't his friends car, it was 3 hispanics in the car, one driving, one in passenger seat & one in the back. I just give them a head nod and a smile because I had already rolled my window down as to say something. The passenger says "it it funny, is it funny now bit*h" and pulls a gun and points it at my head. I believe I responded ya it is and then the light turned green and I turned right and they started to follow then they turned left at the next light. So would you have pulled out your gun and fired on them?

These 2 events occurred when I was 16 & 17, so I wasn't very leveled headed. What would you do in both of these situations? It's kind of a tough situation because of the other passengers.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Scenario 1. You started the conflict.

Scenario 2. I would shoot if I had an opportunity to draw without getting shot first. (You didn't provoke this one.)

Quote Originally Posted by STLRampage View Post
    Scenario 1. You started the conflict.

Scenario 2. I would shoot if I had an opportunity to draw without getting shot first. (You didn't provoke this one.)
    Regardless if I started the conflict in the first one it does not justify someone pulling a gun obviously. If he would have shot me would it be justified since I flipped his wife off?

VIP Member
    First situation would not of occurred. You instigated the situation by flipping her off. Granted his response was irresponsible and just as juvenile as your flipping off his wife for impossibly glaring at you. The correct response would have been to call the police and let them handle it.

Second situation, I would not have responded to his remarks. I would have run the light when he produced the gun and had my friend on the phone to the police.

Being young is no excuse for irresponsible behavior.
    357and40 and First Sgt like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Also there was a vehicle in front of me in situation number 2. So you are saying you would have waited to be shot by the guy in situation 1 until you would have done anything? You can't look at it like your not gunna get shot just because I wasn't, you wouldn't know that at the time.

lesson learned.... mind your own business. sounds like in both them you made moves that made someone else uneasy. no one wants someone else rolling up on them
    STLRampage, 357and40 and Hopyard like this.

Don't do stupid things, the stupid prizes can be expensive!

Don't hang around with other people who do stupid things...you don't want to be around for their stupid prizes.

Thank yourself that you're no longer 16-17...we've all been there!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You really cant do a what if, based on two very childish situations. Neither would ever happen to a responsible gun owner, so kind of hard to do a what-if on both. Just my opinion.
    BkCo1 likes this.

Scenario 1. You are drawing on an already drawn gun you would probably get shot before you could fire your own. If you do exchange fire you may hit wife or child
    may not go to jail since self defense but have to live with that. I would have moved quickly off the X and sought cover from which to watch his next move. If he gets out
    of car and heads my way fire from cover.

Scenario 2. Again you are at an extreme disadvantage facing a drawn gun. If you try to draw and shoot and he realizes it you are probably dead with gun already pointed
    at your head. You may be able to pull gun keeping below window and shoot through your door and his but you are still a sitting duck if you don't incapacitate him immediately.
    If you are not to tightly blocked in you may have to sacrifice your vehicle and another to get out of there.

Both of these are tough situations. In #1 his words indicate a desire to scare you not kill you. In #2 worse because this sounds like someone who might shoot for no reason.
    The fact that you survived both of these with no harm when you had no gun says that it may not always be best to use yours if you have one. No one was hurt in either situation
    but if you had drawn and fired someone was likely to be hurt or killed.

VIP Member
    You didn't draw in both scenarios, and you lived to tell about them.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    You didn't draw in both scenarios, and you lived to tell about them.
    That is the MOST important thing.....

You are very lucky on the first one...... There are many folks who might not have shot you here in Texas....... They would have pulled you from the car and put you in the hospital.

Hopefully you have grown up quite a bit....... Even asking if you should have pulled a gun in that scenario seems questionable

On the second one, you are still alive, after someone pointed a gun at you.

Thats a great day.

To be honest..... I personally am NOT looking for scenarios to pull my weapon.......
    If i go the rest of my life and do not have to get in a self defense situation....
    I will be very happy

I strongly believe that as a gun owner, we need to walk FAR from the line of unneccesary conflict........ I always say, Park the ego And the attitude at the door, if you are carrying

We have WAY to many people that are looking to make examples out of us.....

Lets someone else start the problem.
    stancehold and STLRampage like this.
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

You'd have gotten yourself shot in both scenarios if you drew. With a gun already aimed at you, you are kidding yourself if you think you can outdraw the other guy.

I'm sure someone else will disagree but that's fine if they want to get themselves shot as long as it doesn't involve me.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I can't recall ever giving anybody the finger, and I realize that it escalated the situation, but it doesn't mean the op should have had a gun pulled on him. Giving somebody the finger is not really a big deal. Pointing a pistol at somebody is a huge deal.

Your SA should have been in high yellow after the initial incident in scenario one. You should have seen the car pulling up while you were walking and realized that something was up and gotten some cover or created some distance. If the guy started seeking you out in an aggressive manner then you know it's bad and you act accordingly.

I think in scenario 1 the initial incident was over, so other driver that pulled a the gun was the initiator at that point. So returning fire seems like it would have been legitimate self defense. However, as already stated, drawing on an already drawn gun against someone partially protected by a vehicle would puts you at a huge disadvantage.

In both scenarios, you were lucky they were just posturing, because even if you had a gun you probably would have lost.

I'm curious, did you call the police after either one?

I'm a lot smarter now at the age of 23 and having the responsibility in having a concealed license. I would never have done the same things in the same situation that I was in. I was just thinking back on those and what would I have done in both scenarios. It's a really tough call. I could have pulled my gun safely in the first scenario because me and my friend were a good 10 feet apart and when the guy moved the gun from me to him n would have been the opportunity that I needed to draw and fire but having the wife and kid in the car is a scary thought. 2nd Scenario I probably would have reversed instantly and got the plate and followed them and called the cops. The first scenario I got the license plate # and my friend called the cops and they asked if he would press charges and he said no and I don't think anything was done about that. I would have called personally again if I had another chance. The second instance I did not call the cops I think I was thinking the gun couldn't have been real or just in shock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links