Pros and Cons of CCW

This is a discussion on Pros and Cons of CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been thinking a lot about this lately. The pros are numerous: ability to protect oneself from violent crime, ability to protect others, could go on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Pros and Cons of CCW

Pros and Cons of CCW

Been thinking a lot about this lately. The pros are numerous: ability to protect oneself from violent crime, ability to protect others, could go on and on about the pros!. The two cons that keep popping up in my mind are as follows:

1. Carry restrictions. I am of the CANT philosophy. However, that poses a huge risk/problem. Let's say I'm carrying in a restaurant that serves hard liquor (which is almost all that I go to). Let's say there's a holdup. I play it cool. Let's say the robbers then announce they are herding us into the freezer or the basement, or wherever. Let's say they start shooting. My instincts would tell me to draw and fire. So let's say I draw, and manage to disable them (which would require REALLY good shooting). I have then broken the law and commited a misdemeanor which carries a penalty of large fine and 90 days jail here in NM. I would be alive, but I would be in jail, with a weapons charge and misdemeanor on my record. I would lose my job (medical professional) which I have worked EXTREMELY long and hard to get. I probably wouldn't get hired by anyone else. I might even lose my license to practice. I can't see a way around this, except to carry OC spray, which is allowed. However, that would mean I'd have to be within 8-10 feet and have a clear shot at their faces, both of which are unlikely. Furthermore, they may be immune to its effects due to drug use, previous exposure, adrenaline, etc. Can you see the conundrum?

-
    2. Speed of draw. I am required at work to wear shirt and tie and dress slacks. This pretty much dictates a tuckable IWB, or pocket carry. I have the M&P Shield and love it (and a Solo, but I might sell it), so I go with tuckable IWB. I think we are fooling ourselves if we think we can untuck the shirt, draw, snap aim, and fire at a rushing attacker before he is upon us. I do practice draws everyday, with unloaded (3x checked) weapon, and can do it in 2.8 seconds. But is that enough time to drop an attacker? Also considering I might only get off one shot, it's gotta be a great shot to either the heart, aorta, or brain/spine for an instant stop. Maybe a Navy SEAL can do that, but can the average, blue-collar citizen, who only can train 1x a week?

Just a thought. What do you guys think?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    1. Carry where it is legal. Do not, where it is not.

2. I don't tuck. Either my shirt is on the outside where I can draw fairly quickly, or I pocket carry. Although, I'd still rather be tucked and armed than not armed.

In regards to #1, I agree. But that poses a question: is it better to be shot, injured, maybe killed b/c you're not carrying, or better to be alive and the attacker dead, and have a criminal record?

Same issue here

Pocket carry is your choice
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MP9NewMexico View Post
    In regards to #1, I agree. But that poses a question: is it better to be shot, injured, maybe killed b/c you're not carrying, or better to be alive and the attacker dead, and have a criminal record?
    I prefer not to be there. If they allow alcohol in SC, me and my firearm will remain off of the premises.

Now (to your point) there are still places (court houses, gov't buildings, etc..) that I occasionally must go and be unarmed. In that case, I simply disarm. I'm generally a law-abiding citizen and that's just one of the hazards that comes with that.

1) Carry a knife when you can't carry a gun. I'm in college right now, and I'm not about to carry to class and risk a felony charge and some real jail time. I keep a 3" Gerber knife clipped inside my back pocket all the time in case a Virginia Tech Massacre thing were to happen here and I could get close enough to the BG. Just because you can't carry a gun doesn't mean you have to be totally defenseless.

2) Why do you have to draw immediately? If someone is running at you, move. If you've ever played a contact sport, you know that it is difficult to hit someone as they are running away from you. Get out of the way of your attacker, draw, and stop the threat. That's my game plan anyway. Besides, the draw from concealment isn't that hard. I can get my gun out and present it on target in under 2 seconds. This doesn't mean looking down the sights. Ask a cop: they rarely use their sights in defensive situations.
    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine

Walden,

I have considered a knife. If BG's are shooting, or someone's coming at you with a bat, how much good will a knife REALLY do? Really think about it.

It sounds like you are hesitant whether to defend yourself with lethal force. That is a decision only you can make but I have decided that I would use lethal force if that is absolutely the only way to prevent me or my wife from being killed or maimed by some criminal(s). I thought NM was an open carry State? If so has that affected your thinking?

You are right, NM is open carry. But firearms PERIOD are not allowed in restaurants that serve liquor.
    Could I avoid those restaurants? Yes? Am I married, and would the wife be unhappy if I never took her out? YES! Lol.

1) Is really simple. Carry were legal, do not carry were its not.

2) Is a training issue. Instead of once a week, make it everyday. Find the time. Your time of draw will decrease the more you do it. 2.8 sec isnt bad for tucked, but you could shave a sec. off if you trained a little harder....IMO
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

It seems to me that change is needed in NM's cc laws, many states allow cc in restaurants that serve alcohol as long as YOU don't sit at the bar. I'm sure that if you do some research you'll be able to find some cases where this has come into play with bad consecuenses. Use them to state your concerns with your legislators. It's an open carry state, you've got 3/4 of the battle won.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Walden,

I have considered a knife. If BG's are shooting, or someone's coming at you with a bat, how much good will a knife REALLY do? Really think about it.
    I ain't going to say it is easy but if all you have or allowed to carry is a knife you need to get professional instruction on how to use it. Can you succesfully defeat a guy coming at you with a bat? Of course. Is it easy? NO. But you to train and ger pro training for your individual situation. There are some on this site that do train in combatives, H to H regularly. And when it comes to SD everybody forgets the biggest weapon you have:brain2.jpg
    That and confidence in your abilities can determine the outcome of a hostile encounter. You have to have the mindset you will prevail.
    Walden and beararms like this.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Walden,

No gun. No knife. Learn some hand to hand. Oh wait - how much good will that REALLY do.

Life unfortunately is a road of tradeoffs. You have to choose if it is truly worth it to you personally to carry a handgun every day.

I've been shot at twice and held up at gun point once, and had guns pulled on me twice.....all this while I was an unarmed
    sheep in my "preveious" life. These events taught me that it is no fun to have these things happen to you while you are defenseless.
    Getting my CCW became a passion, and being armed 24/7 with the right firearm chambered in the right caliber became a lifes quest that
    continues to this day, along with a boatload of practice to make sure I know what I'm doing.
    I don't view it as a bother to carry a pistol 24/7, but rather one of the greatest gifts the founders of our country could have given me.
    I am a fighter and a survivor, and while I may not win in a lethal encounter, someone sure as heck is gonna know they were in a fight.
    archer51, BurgerBoy and TheShadow like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Never take a knife to a gun fight. You'll lose every time.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links