Leaving the gun in the car question.

This is a discussion on Leaving the gun in the car question. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can a gun go off in a car with intensive heat? There are times i have to leave my glock in my car. So i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Leaving the gun in the car question.

Can a gun go off in a car with intensive heat?

There are times i have to leave my glock in my car. So i put it in my nano vault (still chambered). With summer on the rise... and i don't vent my windows. Can the gun go off?
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I hope not. I do the same thing.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Everything that I have read (meaning I have no actual knowledge) says not unless it gets really hot. As in a lot hotter than it probably will even if you live in AZ. I live in So Cal and Saturday it was 97 and mine was in the car in the safe, didn't notice any extra holes when I got back in the car...maybe I should go check.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit2011 View Post

There are times i have to leave my glock in my car. So i put it in my nano vault (still chambered). With summer on the rise... and i don't vent my windows. Can the gun go off?
    In another way, sure, but not as hot as your car will ever get, unless you drive to hell or the sun. Hell literally not figuratively, like barstow.
    Sledge and IAJeeper like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I don't think you have to worry about it. When I have to leave mine in the car I clear it, break it down and put the barrel in my pocket and the rest in the lock box. I'm not worried about a discharge, I just don't want anyone who manages to steal it to have an easy time making it work.

VIP Member
    That would be one major products liability issue for the ammo manufacturer!

I would expect that ammo manufacturers have some minimum "cook off" specification - and it should be a heck of a lot more than 150 degrees Fahrenheit.

We would have heard about such happenings by now.

One other thing - its a few degrees cooler in the glove box or safe, where it's out of the direct sun (assuming you don't just leave it on the dash, next to your GPS).

Imagine the truckloads of military ammo sitting in the baking sun in Suadi Arabia.

I wouldn't worry.

if I have to I use a cable (masterlock brand not the cheah kind) and lock it to the bottom of the seat and here in area 51 it gets hot; no probs yet

I don't think gun powder ignites until it is about 600 degrees F.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit2011 View Post

No. I have seen different estimates of ammo cook-off temperatures, varying from 200F to 350F for cellulose-based propellant. In my experience, vehicles without A/C that are exposed to direct solar loading will see internal temperatures around 40 deg F above ambient. So on a 120F day, internal temperatures could hover at around 160F. This is something that I have experienced personally, and do not wish to repeat. This is significantly less than the lowest estimated ammo cook-off temperature I have seen, so I presume you'll be OK.
    Spirit51 likes this.

Thank you all for your insight.
    If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

VIP Member
    I use to live in SW Oklahoma. Summer temps run from upper 90's to 110 range. I've left guns in the car with ammo in them with no problems. Of course if you do that, you DON'T want to slip it IWB before cooling it down. They do get extremely warm!
    stancehold and marcclarke like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Do a search for Mythbusters and this topic. They ran tests of ammo in an oven and it had to get a lot hotter that the inside of your car (like the other materials in the car would ignite).
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

honestly if you are casing the gun in a car unattended you should have the ammo out of arms reach per federal law. yes, state laws vary, but better safe than sorry. at least un chamber the round man.

not being a stickler. just saying. what you do is your business. but i case my gun every day at work. i take the mag inside and set it in my toolbox.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    All in all, the answer is no, it will not shoot by leaving it in the car regardless of how hot it gets. Now if you throw ammo into a bonfire that's a different story, but even if you do that the bullet will most likely not come shooting out as it would being shot with a gun. High temperatures over time can ruin the primer, so if you leave it in the car on hot days a lot, I would switch it out with new ammo every few weeks, best not to risk it not shooting when you need it to. The majority of guns get stolen from cars so be careful with it. :)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links