Lesson Learned - no round in chamber...

This is a discussion on Lesson Learned - no round in chamber... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was sitting on the porch last evening talking to my brother on the phone. My big ol' Chow/German Shepherd mix dog, Jack, was out ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Lesson Learned - no round in chamber...

I was sitting on the porch last evening talking to my brother on the phone. My big ol' Chow/German Shepherd mix dog, Jack, was out there with me. All of a sudden this black pitbull comes charging into the yard heading for the porch steps and me.

Thank goodness for big Jack; he let out a sharp growl/bark and jumped down between the pitbull and me - both dogs froze. This bought me some precious seconds I needed because I had to put the phone down, draw my pistol and then chamber a round. If I'd done what I normally do, keep a round chambered with the safety on, all I would of had to do is just draw and flick the safety off.

My point is that by forgetting my normal routine, I needed two hands to prepare and one of those hands had a phone in it. If my dog hadn't been on the porch and the pitbull wanted to get me, he'd have done it...

Good news is that big Jack scared him off and I learned a good lesson!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Modern handguns for defensive purposes are designed to have a round in the chamber.
    That being said ,carry your handgun however you feel comfortable.
    sd976, Bubbiesdad, joker1 and 6 others like this.

Jack is a good boy! Steak for Jack!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Well, there you have it...

A good and practical lesson on the topic of condition 1 versus Israeli carry.

No postulates, no shot timer in controlled conditions at the range, no F on F class demonstration...

A real live example... of having something in one hand, and needing to get to the gun, and draw, and chamber a round, and prepare to shoot the target.

A cell phone to the ear is sooo common nowadays... Even the staunch proponents of SA occasionally have a phone to their ear or are distracted else-ways. I do have and use a bluetooth headset with my cell when I know I'm likely to get a call, and when I know my hands will be occupied. But even then, you've got something else in your hand, and you might need two to carry off an Israeli draw...

Thanks for the illuminating example from the real world...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Seems like a pretty good real world example of why you should carry "cocked and locked"! I've never considered carrying any other way! And by the way, I agree that Jack deserves a steak!
    sd976, joepilot and mano3 like this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Jack is a good boy! Steak for Jack!
    Yep, Jack stepped up to the plate for you....so put some food on it!
    mook012 likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

After reading pros and cons regarding carrying a round in the chamber, I carry with a round chambered. My gun is designed to be carried this way and I am always alert when handling the gun, knowing that a round is chambered. I follow the safety rules without exception.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Let us know how Jack liked his Porterhouse steak when he's done with it!
    mook012 and scgunlover1 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Let us know how Jack liked his Porterhouse steak when he's done with it!
    Naw, after stepping up to the pump like that, Jack deserves a rib eye, not a cheap porterhouse!
    mook012 likes this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Close call, and lesson learned; all in all a good day. Oh' yeah, the dog deserves a good treat...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Buy him a pack of weiners and a nice smoked bone,he will enjoy it a lot longer.As far as one in the chamber debate,carry how you want, it's your life,and I'm tired of trying to convince people why an empty chamber is a bad idea
    GunTrooper, ep1953 and Beamshot like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Thankfully, I rarely need to unload my pistols so they're always ready with one in the chamber. Sometimes we need those little reminders!

Last summer I had a pitbull from a neighbor's house across the street come running into my yard where I had just come out with my dogs on their cables. She started a little tussle with one of my boys before I got around the house, so I hustled over with my OC spray in hand. Just then, her little 4 month old pup came loping along - which got the mother's attention real quick. I scooped the little guy up while holding the OC canister in my free hand, & started leading her back towards the street. The owner realized they were gone & booked over, apologizing profusely. No harm done.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Growing up hunting, a round in the chamber was normal from the youngest age. I still do that. I suppose it is what you are used to. Each to his own.

For those who carry with out a chambered round you need to practice working the slide with your teeth. Tactical tooth load.
    KZinOKC, beararms and msgt/ret like this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    OP, do you mind telling us why you did not have your gun in its "normal" condition, i.e. round chambered, safety on? Please do not use "I forgot" as the primary reason.

How did you know that there was not a round chambered when this dog incident occured?

Not asking you to defend your actions, just wondering.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links