Amateur Radio Operators - ARRL ARES "weapons policy" - Page 2

Amateur Radio Operators - ARRL ARES "weapons policy"

This is a discussion on Amateur Radio Operators - ARRL ARES "weapons policy" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am affiliated with a RACES group in my area. I know we have at least one guy that is ARES also. I am about ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Amateur Radio Operators - ARRL ARES "weapons policy"

I am affiliated with a RACES group in my area. I know we have at least one guy that is ARES also. I am about to test for my general and was going to look into ARES membership. Don't think I will bother with them now.
    Never had a particularly high opinion of ARRL before. This just confirms my suspicions about them.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I am affiliated with a RACES group in my area. I know we have at least one guy that is ARES also. I am about to test for my general and was going to look into ARES membership. Don't think I will bother with them now.
    Never had a particularly high opinion of ARRL before. This just confirms my suspicions about them.
    I would be willing to bet that RACES bans weapons as well being that it falls under FEMA...I know in WI there is a blanket RACES policy

Saw this might be coming down the pike to us. I'm no longer going to assist except from my home. I'm not open to putting myself in jeopardy. When SHTF, that's when things go to hell in the hand-basket fast. I'm not going to be out there and not protect myself. Add to it their arrogant attitude about there is no room for any discussion puts the icing on the cake.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

As a former REACT member from back in the CB days (don't snicker...lol) I know that there's a lot of well meaning people in ARES, ARRL and all the other emergency communications alphabet soup agencies. I also know that millions of tax dollars have gone into urban search and rescue teams, FEMA, and other government-sanctioned agencies that have sprung up since the 70's. While I applaud the ham radio world's willingness to help, I still feel that the best help I can depend on is from my immediate neighbors, not an official or non-official entity. We'll be there for each other with chain saws, food, water and whatever else we have to share, long before anyone with a windbreaker and a ball hat shows up to tell us how to do it. I (and most of my neighbors) will go about our business armed for our defense, minding our own business until the power comes back on. I'm a member of ARRL, but it's none of my business how they run their agency, and it's none of their business how I defend my family. 73 de KJ4xxx
    First Sgt, Mike1956, mkh and 1 others like this.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    I would be willing to bet that RACES bans weapons as well being that it falls under FEMA...I know in WI there is a blanket RACES policy
    Heck we have more people in our merry little band with CHLs than with general tickets.
    One of the people in a CERT class asked a deputy about carrying on a CERT incident and was told " That is a concealed license right? Keep it concealed." We can carry in our OEM and EOC. No issues there. Only issue would be our hospitals.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by W9HDG View Post
    Hey there all my fellow hams on this site. I have a interesting one for you. Being that ARES is an entirely volunteer organization and we could be asked to do anything from provide communications for a hospital or shelter after a disaster, watching a dam for a flood, going door to door doing welfare checks after a tornado, or whatever, what are your views on the ARRL's "no weapons of any kind" policy? We in WI are just now starting this fight because someone was open carrying with a HT and the wife of the sheriff made a bid deal out of "who was the new deputy?

Below is an e-mail that was just sent out by the ARRL Section Manager for Wisconsin. Personally I can think of a lot of situations where I would want a weapon if nothing else to protect me for wild animals while I am watching a dam, or what have you.

Ive been reading the threads on the issue of carrying weapons while serving as an ARES member. I will clear up some misconceptions on this issue.

Wisconsin ARES management does not have any authority to formulate a policy of carrying weapons while supporting ARES. ARES is a registered program of ARRL and, as the parent organization of ARES, it is the ARRL who has declared that weapons have no place in ARES not only in Wisconsin but nationally. I have been in communication with ARRL HQ several times on this issue presenting the what-ifs and the answer is always the same no weapons allowed. Period.

From Chris Imlay, ARRL General Counsel:

Greetings, Don. Let me be very, very clear about this. We are not going to talk about choice here, or "rights" or anything else on this issue. There is no place within ARES for weapons of any type. No one in connection with ARES is to carry a weapon on their person at any time they are participating in any ARES activity whatsoever. We are not going to discuss this or negotiate this with anyone at any time. If this is a problem for anyone, then as Dan says they are welcome to withdraw from the ARES program. We do not want anyone participating in ARES while possessing a weapon outside their home or vehicle and if we hear about it the person will be thanked for their services and terminated. This is an ARRL program and weapons are no part of it whatsoever. We can't have any liability on this issue. Please tell your field appointees this.

73, Chris W3KD

This policy has the support of all the top management within ARRL, Central Division leaders, Wisconsin Section Manager, and Wisconsin ARES senior leadership. In addition, there has been consultation with Wisconsin Emergency Management.

Wisconsin ARES will adhere to this ARRL policy and we will discuss, at the April 28 Leadership conference, the impact it has on Wisconsin ARES and the adjustments that need to be made within Wisconsin ARES to continue as one of the best ARES organizations in the country.

I look forward to your responses....
    Well, I wasn't into ARES before and I'm not getting into it now. I'm sure there are plenty of people who can help ARES out, it just won't be me...

Ace
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

I personally would tell any organization I volunteer at, that if giving up my constitutional rights is a requirement for me to freely give my time and or equipment/resources too,then they can take a flying leap at a rolling donut.
    W9HDG, mcp1810, mcp1810 and 6 others like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I personally would tell any organization I volunteer at, that if giving up my constitutional rights is a requirement for me to freely give my time and or equipment/resources too,then they can take a flying leap at a rolling donut.
    Agreed, there's no reason for us to give up our constitutional right, that we in Wisconsin only recently were able to exercise, when you're donating your time, and the use of your equipment.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

And what are they going to do? Fire us? Sometimes it is much MUCH better to not raise the issue forcing some knee jerk reaction at top to quickly come up with a policy. I have seen that very thing happen TWICE! No policy was in place, someone just had to raise the issue when it wasn't published in a single policy manual, and wham, knee jerk policy is created banning it.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    And what are they going to do? Fire us? Sometimes it is much MUCH better to not raise the issue forcing some knee jerk reaction at top to quickly come up with a policy. I have seen that very thing happen TWICE! No policy was in place, someone just had to raise the issue when it wasn't published in a single policy manual, and wham, knee jerk policy is created banning it.
    Agreed, in this case someone did make an issue out of it...and it was a Non-ARES related function to boot!

I never got involved in any of those groups due to the attitudes of the leaders, Now I know I will not due to that policy, 73 KF4ISO
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Senior Moderator
    Anyone that beleives that the issue of self defense is not to be considered in any type of emergency situation does not meet the simple requirements of sanity,leadership,perception or courage that is required for me to participate.

Policys that put volunteers in danger without any recourse are not only stupid, but they are dangerous.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the info, wasn't aware of that. I think I'll just stick with informal skywarn nets.
    Sky Pilot likes this.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

mkh
    My primary ARES assignment is working a shelter located in a school. School carry is illegal in Florida so I wouldn't be able to carry anyway. I'm seriously considering tendering my resignation tomorrow. My wife isn't too keen on me being away during activations though I have done it in the past. We all go through phases in life and I guess I'm at the stage where ARES is not important to me anymore.

W4MKH

I was part of a simulation early in March that involved my group,a bunch of bomb squads, swat teams and national guard units. One thing I was happy to see was that they did have security assigned to us. Some of the LE types were amazed at how quickly we were able to set up and make contact with our EOC both on two meters and on HF.
    We are kind of spoiled I think in that our served agencies are very supportive of us and let us do our own thing. They tell us when they have money to spend and have no problem making resources available to us. we just got a new tower at the EOC and the sheriffs office is donating space on their tower for a repeater for a linked system that covers from Corpus Christie to Louisiana to Austin.

I don't recall the ARRL being involved in any of that stuff.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links