Amateur Radio Operators - ARRL ARES "weapons policy"

This is a discussion on Amateur Radio Operators - ARRL ARES "weapons policy" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting comments. I never had the time to particpate in ARES but would of considered it maybe when I retire someday. Now I would need ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Amateur Radio Operators - ARRL ARES "weapons policy"

Interesting comments. I never had the time to particpate in ARES but would of considered it maybe when I retire someday. Now I would need to certainly reconsider any thoughts of putting additional risk in the way of particpating in a voluntary situation.
    Best 73s.....Arney NK9O

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Just my take.....if they don't want my guns, they don't want me. Drop them and go on with life.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm with archer51. You are VOLUNTEERING your services.

If enough of you don't show up for meets, practices, or even real emergencies, the idiots that came up with this will soon back down!

Better yet, start a petition within your group threatening to cease your charity work if they don't back down

My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I've always carried where legal when on ARES assignments and I never knew of this policy. It hasn't been communicated at our level in my county. Add the policy to less and less time for these things and I think I'll just resign. I can always work emergency relays from my home station and I am the only one who makes carry decisions in my shack.
    I'm not sure about their policy. Did they mean to imply that no member should own a weapon or that no weapons are allowed when at one of their functions or working on site in an official capacity for the organization? Two different animals if you ask me.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I'm not sure about their policy. Did they mean to imply that no member should own a weapon or that no weapons are allowed when at one of their functions or working on site in an official capacity for the organization? Two different animals if you ask me.

Michael
    My take on the policy is during an ARES function and when working in an ARES capacity.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    W9HDG, is right. In the ARRL's eyes, when you are operating under, ARES(c) you are operating as a representitive of the ARRL's own copywrighted program. In recent years the ARRL has became quiet protective of the ARES(c) program, the use of the, ARES(c) logo and paperwork. This why I gave up participation. ARES(c) Is nothing moore than an ARRL backed program. The REAL program exist ONLY becaues of the volunteers involved in it. Something that the ARRL seems to forget.

Although I must admit, the ARRL is to amateur radio is what the NRA is to gun owners.

Ya'll be well..
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Though I'm not really active anymore, I still have my Amateur Extra license in case I want to get involved again. After hearing this, I will stick to my house and other 2A-friendly locations if employing my license privileges becomes necessary.

Thank you *VERY* much to the OP and others for sharing and comments on this.

73 DE N7LTH
    Last edited by Crashbox; April 26th, 2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Grammar and punctuation- aka cerebral flatulence.
    Four Rugers, three SIG Sauers; my SP101 3-1/16" .357 is shown in my avatar. I like reliability.

I wasn't aware of the ARRL policy. I'm in both ARES and RACES. I always carry and don't plan to stop. In Utah, you can carry in state, county and city offices, and schools, so the EOC would most likely not be a problem, unless it is a church, then it could be.

I have been to several events where the Governor was present and greeted people who were openly carrying firearms.

In a real emergency, there is no doubt in my mind about carrying.

Greetings fellows CC/OCers and hams..this is my 1st post on this forum. I also received the letter that was posted by the OP. Im also planning on resigning from the local ARES group here in south central WI. (had a run-in with the local LE when i was OCing AND doing ARES activities).

Welcome to the forum GlockRDH!

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one planning to resign from ARES in WI over this.

Ive not yet sent my county issued ID back to our group...lol..i suppose i should....Since our Field day exercise is almost completely an ARES event/group, Im SURE something will be said in the near future! Some of us 2A hams down here are considering a 2A-friendly Field day this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockRDH View Post
    Some of us 2A hams down here are considering a 2A-friendly Field day this summer.
    Great idea! I have done Field Day on my own for the last couple of years because of some politics with the local club, they always want to do the same thing every year and are not open to change or a challenge.

One other thing that Ive not mentioned on anyother forums...the county sheriffs dept has had the ARES group doing SECURITY at the county fair...using THEIR Communications trailer, golf cart with the sheriffs dept logo on it, and they even gave us a radio on their freq to use 'in case of an emergency' ...THAT right there would be a much bigger liability than me being armed for my own protection...
    W9HDG and Crashbox like this.

Interestingly I started a thread on QRZ back in December ASKING if the ARRL had a policy in place...I pretty much got laughed at for asking such a silly question... I guess they didnt see what was coming.

Distinguished Member
    I'm an EC and a DEC in an ARES/RACES/CERT team but we work directly with county EMA. We've already been discussing separation from ARES and the ARRL due to many other practices and policies that are "out of touch" with the times. The agenda for the next meeting will include this topic as many of my team place a high value on their 2A rights... as do I. My prediction: ARES will lose it's official presence here and it will be replaced by a state-level EmComm group with policies and procedures that work without alienating its volunteer members.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links