The term WEAPON vs. .........

This is a discussion on The term WEAPON vs. ......... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I've been a member of DC, I've seen several folks become upset at the use of the term WEAPON, as pertaining to handguns. The ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: The term WEAPON vs. .........

The term WEAPON vs. .........

Since I've been a member of DC, I've seen several folks become upset at the use of the term WEAPON, as pertaining to handguns. The most recent one is below:

"Spec says: (I don't own any "Weapons" so I don't know how I'd use one. I own handguns and firearms. We in the 2nd Amendment community need to STOP using the "W" word... it makes the Anti's think of the horrible killing machines that bad guys use.

If you start calling them guns, firearms, pistols, revolvers, they become tools, like hammer, wrench, screwdriver, etc. Every little thing to make guns painted in a positive light.)<rant off. "

I guess, that I personally find it humorous, however, it obviously must be something that several folks take to heart. Sooooo, here are three questions that I would like to see feedback on: Is the term WEAPON appropriate to use when referring to handguns? What term do YOU use and why? Do you believe the term WEAPON gives a negative perception to others?

For definition purposes to assist you in your decision (if you need assistance):

Weapon:
    1. an object or instrument used in fighting
    2. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.

Firearm
    1. a small arms weapon, as a rifle or pistol, from which a projectile is fired by gunpowder.
    2. a weapon, esp a portable gun or pistol, from which a projectile can be discharged by an explosion caused by igniting gunpowder, etc
    (hmmmm...weapon used in both definitions)

Pistol
    1. a short firearm intended to be held and fired with one hand. (firearm=weapon?)
    2. a short-barrelled handgun

Revolver
    1. a handgun having a revolving chambered cylinder for holding a number of cartridges, which may be discharged in succession without reloading.
    2. a pistol having a revolving multichambered cylinder that allows several shots to be discharged without reloading (pistol=firearm=weapon?)

Handgun
    1. any firearm that can be held and fired with one hand; a revolver or a pistol. (firearm=revolver=pistol=weapon?)
    2. a firearm that can be held, carried, and fired with one hand, such as a pistol (firearm=pistol=weapon?)

Gun
    1. a weapon consisting of a metal tube, with mechanical attachments, from which projectiles are shot by the force of an explosive; a piece of ordnance. (weapon = etc etc etc?)
    2. any portable firearm, as a rifle, shotgun, or revolver. (firearm = etc etc etc?)

I look forward to some interesting replies...btw, this is NOT calling anyone out for the term they use...I just think it will be interesting...Regardless of the feedback, the term I use is WEAPON.....Just sayin!!!!!
    Secret Spuk and tacman605 like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

I don't like the term 'weapon', unless it's used as one. A screwdriver can be a weapon, but 99.99999% of the time it's a tool, or 'screwdriver'.

I also don't like the phrase 'on your person', just doesn't sound right to me but that's another thread.

You can find a definition to suit your needs/purpose, I guess... first one in my Google search shows these:

hand·gun/ˈhan(d)ˌgən/
    Noun:
    A gun designed for use by one hand, chiefly either a pistol or a revolver.

pis·tol/ˈpistl/
    Noun:
    A small firearm designed to be held in one hand.

re·volv·er/riˈvälvər/
    Noun:
    A pistol with revolving chambers enabling several shots to be fired without reloading.

weap·on/ˈwepən/
    Noun:
    A thing designed or used for inflicting bodily harm or physical damage.
    A means of gaining an advantage or defending oneself in a conflict or contest: "resignation threats are a weapon in his armory".

I do think that the term weapon can have a negative connotation to antis, BUT, I believe a lot of people in LE and the military commonly refer to them as weapons. I think around pro 2A people it is no biggie, but I wouldn't use it around antis.
    beararms likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

"Spec says: (I don't own any "Weapons" so I don't know how I'd use one. I own handguns and firearms. We in the 2nd Amendment community need to STOP using the "W" word... it makes the Anti's think of the horrible killing machines that bad guys use.
    More PC nonsense. The "W" word??? Please spare us.

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    Since I've been a member of DC, I've seen several folks become upset at the use of the term WEAPON, as pertaining to handguns. The most recent one is below:

If you start calling them guns, firearms, pistols, revolvers, they become tools, like hammer, wrench, screwdriver, etc. Every little thing to make guns painted in a positive light.)<rant off. "

I guess, that I personally find it humorous, however, it obviously must be something that several folks take to heart. Sooooo, here are three questions that I would like to see feedback on: Is the term WEAPON appropriate to use when referring to handguns? What term do YOU use and why? Do you believe the term WEAPON gives a negative perception to others?

For definition purposes to assist you in your decision (if you need assistance):

Weapon:
    1. an object or instrument used in fighting
    2. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.

Firearm
    1. a small arms weapon, as a rifle or pistol, from which a projectile is fired by gunpowder.
    2. a weapon, esp a portable gun or pistol, from which a projectile can be discharged by an explosion caused by igniting gunpowder, etc
    (hmmmm...weapon used in both definitions)

Pistol
    1. a short firearm intended to be held and fired with one hand. (firearm=weapon?)
    2. a short-barrelled handgun

Revolver
    1. a handgun having a revolving chambered cylinder for holding a number of cartridges, which may be discharged in succession without reloading.
    2. a pistol having a revolving multichambered cylinder that allows several shots to be discharged without reloading (pistol=firearm=weapon?)

Handgun
    1. any firearm that can be held and fired with one hand; a revolver or a pistol. (firearm=revolver=pistol=weapon?)
    2. a firearm that can be held, carried, and fired with one hand, such as a pistol (firearm=pistol=weapon?)

Gun
    1. a weapon consisting of a metal tube, with mechanical attachments, from which projectiles are shot by the force of an explosive; a piece of ordnance. (weapon = etc etc etc?)
    2. any portable firearm, as a rifle, shotgun, or revolver. (firearm = etc etc etc?)

I look forward to some interesting replies...btw, this is NOT calling anyone out for the term they use...I just think it will be interesting...Regardless of the feedback, the term I use is WEAPON.....Just sayin!!!!!
    In classes we teach, the NRA wants us to use the words, Firearm, gun, pistol, or rifle. However, a gun is a weapon. When I teach a class, I use what the NRA wants me to use. When teaching a non NRA class I use the term Weapon, or weapon system.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I recall from my very early Army days if one of us called our weapon a gun we were immediately publicly chastised. We had to run around the formation with our rifle in one hand while grabbing our "gun" with the other while shouting "this is my weapon and this is my gun, this one is for killing and this one is for fun." Hoping to not make that mistake more that once, my military mind quickly adapted to calling it a weapon.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I don't like the term 'weapon', unless it's used as one. A screwdriver can be a weapon, but 99.99999% of the time it's a tool, or 'screwdriver'...
    Yes, but a firearm can't be used (other than for target practice) for anything else, can it?

I agree that the term weapon does seem to hold negative connotations, but that is learned behavior not unlike brainwashing, IMO.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Around every day people I prefer to call it a firearm vs weapon. Agree with the screwdriver/weapon comment......but thats just me and my preerence. I guess just weapon gives off the inference that you PLAN to use it to KILL....and antis and NORMAL people like to associate, I plan to KILL with the term Weapon......
    I do more target than KILLING thankfully..... just my take......growing up in an anti house hold. Well maybe no ANTI but a non gun home and dad who is vet with NO interest in firearms...NONE.
    Please...work HARDER as MILLIONS on welfare depending on YOU !!

Like many things in life, our words are tools.

That said, I'll use different words in different contexts. I'm not going to make a certain noun into a profanity.

When I got pulled over, I gave the cop my license and permit and said "My sidearm is ..."
    When giving my girlfriend a little pre-bootcamp instruction I used the terms "weapon" and "rifle."
    I tend to not use the term 'gun' as I think that they word does not reflect the complexity and importance of a firearm.

That said, I'm not going to demonize a word. I will probably not, however, use the term "gun" or "weapon" around an anti.

I like the term "sidearm." It just seems to convey something that the "good guys" use.

I've never read or heard of an account of a criminal using a "sidearm" to hurt someone.
    mano3 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet". Look...your gun is a weapon. Trying to portray it as something more benign is just ludicrous.
    tacman605 and Dadsnugun like this.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I'm a pistol carrier. Yes, it is a weapon, but so are my good looks.
    WHEC724 and atctimmy like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Doesn't matter what we call them. We could refer to them as calico kittens and the antis would then just start a campaign about why it is that we are afraid to speak without using code words.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Most of the time I call all of them guns whether it's shotgun, rifle, pistol, revolver or AR. The person I'm talking to knows what the subject we are talking about.
    SCGunLover1

VIP Member
    Well let's see.....

1. Yes I feel weapon is a perfectly suitable word to use in referring to a handgun/firearm since you are carrying said handgun/firearm as a weapon to be deployed and used as a weapon of self defense.

2. I believe the term CCW stands for "Carrying a Concealed Weapon" and a firearm used in a SD situation will be used as a weapon and it is entirely possible that someone at the end of that situation will be dead. I use the words weapon, rifle, pistol, shotgun, revolver all for the same meaning.

3. I don't really care if it will offend the senses of someone who is already against it from the beginning anyway. People who are against the ownership and possession of firearms are still against it no matter what you call it. This goes back to several topics here on the forum.
    Quit sugar coating every damn thing to make people feel good. The simple fact remains you carry a weapon to defend yourself in the event of an attack. In order to do that there is a very good chance that you may have to shoot someone. If you shoot someone they may die. God forbid if we use the wrong verbage do describe the who, what, when and why's.

Yes, absolutely a firearm is merely a tool and the shooter is the true weapon but that does not mean I am going to refer to it as carrying a concealed tool to make everyone feel happy, happy, joy, joy inside. There have been numerous discussions on here of how we should not eat here, not shop there, don't buy this product because they don't support the 2nd Amendment. Open carriers across the U.S. are told exercise your rights or we will lose them, stand up to LE and business owners, file lawsuits to further the cause but now we are worried about calling a firearm a weapon?

In the words of my beautiful better half some folks need to "man up" and say what they mean and mean what they say and quit worrying about offending the senses of those who are already against us anyways.
    wmhawth, Harryball, BkCo1 and 2 others like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links