Are hybrid holsters the best IWB option? - Page 3

Are hybrid holsters the best IWB option?

This is a discussion on Are hybrid holsters the best IWB option? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by detective You can make any clip-on IWB holster a hybrid. Clip it outside the pants but inside the belt, I do that ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Are hybrid holsters the best IWB option?

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    You can make any clip-on IWB holster a hybrid. Clip it outside the pants but inside the belt, I do that with an Alessi Talon sometimes, manufactured as IWB. Keeps gun tight to the body but easy to reach, easier to conceal, (no bulge or little of one). Ideal for snub-nose revolver.
    I think the OP was referring to hybrid holster as the half leather, half kydex models like the Comptac Mtac or Crossbreed Supertuck.

I used a CB Supertuck for a Glock 19 and 26 and it was super comfortable and hid the gun well.

Nowadays I carry a Glock 17 AIWB in a Dale Fricke Archangel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I think that the hybrids are just fine--they are concealable, distrubute the weight well and are relatively inexpensive. I have one, but eventually got an all leather IWB by Desbiens Gun Leather simply because I LIKE the all leather and its not as hard on the finish as the kydex.
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I use hybrid holsters almost all the time now. I love my Comp-Tac MTAC hybrid.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I think this is highly individualized . . .

After reading all the accolades for Comp-Tac, I ordered two and couldn't stand them!

My favorite OWB is the Brommeland for my 1911 FS!

My favorite IWB is the Milt Sparks VMII hands down over anything else I've ever tried. His Summer Special 2 is also excellent for IWB. Well worth the wait and cost.

I bought a PM-9 used and it came with a Crossbreed. I've been wearing it for the past few weeks to give it a fair try and it will end up for sale! Reasons why it doesn't work for me:
    - When cinched up with a Wilderness Tactical 5-stitch belt, it's very difficult to re-holster as the top of the leather tends to bend outward (into the holster) enough to not leave a clear channel (I can re-holster my VMII one-handed w/o looking, no problem).
    - My Wife moved my pants (they were sitting on a chair with the PM-9 holstered) and the gun fell out on the chair, so retention must rely a lot on the cinching of the belt (leading to the above problem)!
    - Comfort is nowhere near as good as the VMII! You have to try one to believe it.

YMMV
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    My personal preference is leather. I've been using either Galco or Tucker Gun Leather holsters for the last 10-12 years. They work for me, and that is all I worry about. Are they right for everyone, NO. Is a hybrid right for everyone, NO. Each person has to go the decision making process to see what works best for them.

You always see the advertisements (not just for guns or holsters) for "the best", "the last one you'll need", and my favorite "used exclusively by". You never see anyone claiming to be second best.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The hybrids all have the same thing in common - too much leather. I'm not comfortable trying to conceal half a cow along with my pistol.

My carry holsters are all Dale Fricke kydex. My ArchAngel gets the majority of carry time, and the Ehud is a tuckable option. Try his Zack for a truly minimalist design.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    Thats like asking are chevys the best trucks.....all depends on who is driving em, so same goes for holsters, in my opinion, find one you like, and use it....i have one holster maker i use exclusively, and i am sure ther are better out there, but i know there are worse, wait time is short, quality is exceptional.priced very reasonalble .... UBG holsters.com....makes some good belts too...
    I'll second this; I have 4 UBG Striker IWB holsters. When you find what works for you, why there you go! For some, the hybrids work great; I tried the CBST and a clone, but didn't really care for the way they felt and found reholstering to be a bit of a challenge too.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Have a Crossbreed I carried my 1911s in after 5 yrs of pretty good use the Kydex cracked, so not wanting to wait I bought a King Tuck ,its alright like the Crossbreed better. However..... I ordered in Jan & received in June a Milt Sparks VMII & man what a holster! Its all leather IWB of course & stays put & is the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever worn!

I can conceal my Browning Hi Power with just a T shirt...In total comfort.

Going to order one for my Kimber Pro Raptor.

Love my white hat! I'm waiting on another kydex sleeve for my M&P Shield.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links