Are hybrid holsters the best IWB option?

This is a discussion on Are hybrid holsters the best IWB option? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys... Here is a quick rundown of a couple points that I think make hybrid holsters the best IWB option out there. The reason ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Are hybrid holsters the best IWB option?

Sponsor

Are hybrid holsters the best IWB option?

Hey guys... Here is a quick rundown of a couple points that I think make hybrid holsters the best IWB option out there.

The reason we carry a gun in the first place is so we can be prepared to defend our lives and our families lives in the worst case scenario. As a CHL instructor here in Texas as well as a holster maker. I find so many people that get the license, then proceed to put their gun in their pocket or IWB in a cheap holster and they quickly discover that it is not quickly accessible and very uncomfortable. I know I know... "carrying a gun should be comfortING not comfortABLE." However for many newbies the discomfort is a deterrent to carrying as much as they want or need to.

The hybrid design in general (not specifically ours) is extremely comfortable and makes concealed carry easier, faster, more effective, and ultimately allows the average user to carry daily without direct discomfort. There are lots of folks out there now that make a hybrid IWB holster. The choices are many but you should evaluate them individually and extensively before making a choice.

I would love to hear your comments on IWB carry and what holsters you use now. What are the positives and negatives you have experienced? We appreciate the discussion and the feedback.

Be safe.. God Bless and Have a great day! T.

2. Remove Ads

I didn't like IWB until I tried my first hybrid. The combination of the flat (non boned) leather backing so I didn't FEEL the imprint of the gun and the large area to distribute the weight did it for me. I've tried other types of holsters but the hybrid is just provides the best combination of concealbility, comfort, adjustable and retention. It's also comfortable to wear against bare skin if I'm not wearing a under shirt. My first was from cross breed. My second that I am wearing now is from Tommy Thesis. I was happy with the crossbreed but I got a new EDC and Tommy's price was lower and turnaround faster.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

sgb
    I'm pretty hard core leather for concealed carry as I find them much more comfortable, but that's just me. The hybrd holsters offer a good utilitarian holster at a modest cost which many find attractive.
    ironmike86 and archer51 like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

My pick for IWB carry is the VersaCarry. I have already posted some comments on it in a different thread (#55, here: Versa Carry.). It's about 1/3 the cost of most hybrids, has less bulk, and (to me, at least) is very comfortable to wear. I've been carrying for about 2 years, and had pretty much given up on IWB before I found the VersaCarry about 3 months ago. I had resorted to using a Smart Carry w/ my smaller 9mm pistols (PX4 SC and Kahr CW9) or pocket carry of my Bodyguard .380. Both methods of carry were comfortable enough, but you get a relatively slow draw with the Smart Carry (as compared to IWB), and while drawing from the pocket was quick enough, it was a .380 rather than a 9mm. Now I carry a 9mm on my hip, ready for a fast draw, in total comfort.

First what ever works for the person carrying so many options, so many good ones.
    For me When I IWB carry Captian Itch for me. he makes them no long wait well made. I like his option for the leather loop or the clip. The swivel that you can lock down works well IMO.
    Quality that can not be beat, Made in USA not some importer reseller
    His leather gun belts are worth every dime also
    Gun Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHatCo View Post
    Hey guys... Here is a quick rundown of a couple points that I think make hybrid holsters the best IWB option out there.

The reason we carry a gun in the first place is so we can be prepared to defend our lives and our families lives in the worst case scenario. As a CHL instructor here in Texas as well as a holster maker. I find so many people that get the license, then proceed to put their gun in their pocket or IWB in a cheap holster and they quickly discover that it is not quickly accessible and very uncomfortable. I know I know... "carrying a gun should be comfortING not comfortABLE." However for many newbies the discomfort is a deterrent to carrying as much as they want or need to.

The hybrid design in general (not specifically ours) is extremely comfortable and makes concealed carry easier, faster, more effective, and ultimately allows the average user to carry daily without direct discomfort. There are lots of folks out there now that make a hybrid IWB holster. The choices are many but you should evaluate them individually and extensively before making a choice.

I would love to hear your comments on IWB carry and what holsters you use now. What are the positives and negatives you have experienced? We appreciate the discussion and the feedback.

Be safe.. God Bless and Have a great day! T.
    Best answer........many that get the permit will likely never carry or even think about a holster. You asked for comments. Thing is....it's relatively easy to get a permit if you're a good person with no record. It's relatively easy for one to think about protecting themselves. It's relatively easy for one to pick up a gun and feel confident. It is not easy for the basic DIYer or permit holder to accept the possibility of ever deploying, nor carrying all the time. Hybrid holsters have their place. My thinking...they are basically a placebo since the average citizen wants comfort above all else. It's a marketing idea and catering to those who can't deal with a life changing aspect and whom are not willing to deal with the reality of carrying all the time. There are the hard liners that swear by these, but I've personally never gotten one of the hybrids to work for me and I gave it my all in the attempts. A few of them were over $100. All of the holsters I have and use are under that. In reality.......don't buy a holster that adapts to you. You need to adapt to the holster and you need to adapt to CC and never think it's going to be comfortable. Just ask me how many have died in comfort and how many have survived going through hell. Nothing is easy and folks should get used to that notion in my opinion.
    The best option out there? If everyone was on the same page we wouldn't be worried about the upcoming election and what idiot will make office now would we? Yes......God bless.
    Ionracas and archer51 like this.

you can spend more but you'll be hard pressed to find a better, more comfortable IWB holster than a remora
    Home of the Original Remora No Clip Holster
    Ram Rod, Crescentstar and RichB70 like this.

I like my hybrid, but it does tend to weigh my pants down leading to having to hitch my pants up a lot. I do use a good gun belt, too. Ideally, I would like my hybrid to have a nice pad made of Remora's sticky rubber attached to the body side of my hybrid.

Hint to Alan at Remora: maybe a product to think about?
    "Clearly that's a YOU problem not a ME problem."

Quote Originally Posted by Crescentstar View Post
    I like my hybrid, but it does tend to weigh my pants down leading to having to hitch my pants up a lot. I do use a good gun belt, too. Ideally, I would like my hybrid to have a nice pad made of Remora's sticky rubber attached to the body side of my hybrid.

Hint to Alan at Remora: maybe a product to think about?
    I had the same pants hitching problem until I switched to a wilderness instructor belt. It really allowed me to dial in the perfect snugness.
    Roguestew likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The Max-Con looks awesome, but isn't tuckable, a feature that I need. When I'm in an all-day-carry situation, I wear a Kholster Little Moon with an LCR or a J-frame airweight. It's just a bit too wide to be able to get it on-off quickly, though. I carry cross at about 10:30 for all day. To get the front clip free of the pants front button, the rear clip is behind the 3:00 belt loop. To do that successfully, I have to open the pants and put the holster on without the gun in it. It also does not give a full grip easily on the draw, but I think I can put a modified combat cut on it to correct that.

I have a Desantis Sof-tuck also. It's quick on-off, very concealable, has highly adjustable cant for cross-draw, and is tuckable. But on a snub it has absolutely no retention whatsoever, and lives in a drawer as a consequence. This was a huge disappointment: I love everything about the holster except for the gun falling out. If anyone can recommend a similarly sized single-clip holster that will retain a snub, I'm all ears.

Currently, when I'm in an on-off situation, I use an Uncle Mike's #8 at 4:00 and make sure I have a cover garment on. I can put it on and take it off one handed. Retention isn't terrific, but is acceptable with a belt cinched over it. It's an untuckable, very cheap, interim option.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

I've always read about the infamous "holster drawer" so I got a hybrid that is adjustable for ride height and cant and is tuckable. To me it's an awesome idea b/c it allowed me to try out many different carry positions until I was comfortable with one. Then, when I was more comfortable carrying and my weight changed I was able to adjust it once again to a different position. On top of that, I can change out the kydex body for carrying a different weapon. What's not to like?

I used to use a Galco Summer Comfort. Then I tried a Crossbreed. Got rid of the Galco and am now getting a CB for my other handguns. Easy on, easy off holster. Plus you have the option to change the cant.

I've been using an MTAC for 4 years. Before I got the MTAC I resorted to pocket carrying a j frame. Couldn't seem to find a secure, comfortable and concealable holster for any gun.

I bought the slide version so I can use the same holster for all my Glocks. Same holster, belt, and position for any makes a lot sense to me.
    Question Everything!

IWB Hybrid (CBST) for most days, OWB (UBG Holsters) for when I can't wear IWB. I've even converted a few friends to the Hybrid side!

I may be out of place here, but I've never gotten used to an IWBH. I like the Hybrids primerily because many of them have a mechanical locking mechanism that is effortless to manipulate. I use a Blackhawk, Serpa paddle holster with my Sig 229. But I also love leather. The Yaqui belt slides (in my opinion) are beautiful. Unfortunetly I find that most of us have to go through a lot of models and styles before we find one that we like and works for us.
    -Trib-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links