Should I Talk To The Police? - I Just Want To Explain What Happened.

This is a discussion on Should I Talk To The Police? - I Just Want To Explain What Happened. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll go the other way on the repost issue: Can you put this on a timer, say every 6 mos or so it automatically pops ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Should I Talk To The Police? - I Just Want To Explain What Happened.

I'll go the other way on the repost issue: Can you put this on a timer, say every 6 mos or so it automatically pops up?
    mlr1m and BloodyBucket like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Sorry, but I'm glad it was reposted. I never would of searched for it. Really glad I watched it though, all because it was in a new thread.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I've always subscribed to the method taught in Michael Martin's book, Minnesota Permit to Carry a Firearm Fundamentals. Pretty much, give the simple facts to enable the LEOs to either catch the BG or to give them just enough information for them to do their jobs - the details will await my talking with my lawyer.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Administrator
    I don't believe that the Police want to incarcerate innocent people.
    I don't believe that judges want to see innocent people locked up for life with the key tossed away.
    I don't believe that a jury would want to intentionally reach an incorrect verdict and wrongly convict an innocent person.

That would be in the VAST majority of cases.

But, we are human and in some scenarios the deck will always be stacked against you with possible dire life altering consequences.

It's very important not to do the wrong thing while believing that you are doing the right thing.
    pacman, Bark'n, RETSUPT99 and 1 others like this.

I myself am new to this forum. I have never seen this until I started it about an hour ago. Thank you for this "repost" and I agree it should be stickied.

I always knew not to talk, but even so, when I know I am innocent I feel ok with explaining to the police, this video is a definite eye opener.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Part 1 and Part 2 are in the 1st video that I posted.

Yes, I know it has been previously posted.
    So, you admit to reposting a previously posted video. Is there anything else you want to tell us during this interview? We are trying to understand what happened, if you just give us all the details we can help and then you can go home to your family. Isn't that what you want?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    But if its a moderator reposts a subject enticing him into doing something he normally would never do is it still a crime? Would he have committed this crime had the moderator not made the repost? Could he not claim entrapment?

Michael
    was he wearing a red hoodie?

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    I myself am new to this forum. I have never seen this until I started it about an hour ago. Thank you for this "repost" and I agree it should be stickied.

I always knew not to talk, but even so, when I know I am innocent I feel ok with explaining to the police, this video is a definite eye opener.

Thank you!
    Ditto. Will have to watch this when I get home.

An important addendum is to not do illegal things. I really only want people following this advice if they're not casual criminals.

I know a Canadian equivalent of a 'public defender', and up here you have the right to talk to a free lawyer after you've been arrested. She says that 90% of these 5-min conversations are "don't say anything, get your own lawyer. Don't say ANYTHING. NOTHING. NOTHING."
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    It's in the Reference and How To section School of law professor and police officer videos on not talking to the police. Bumper put it there in 2008 at my suggestion, though even then it was a repost. I'm delighted to see it surface here: good information - thanks for the reminder (maybe I ought to watch it again, and get my wife and daughter to watch it again: it's been four years).

And it also suggests that there are other nuggets in the Reference and How To section: maybe I'll poke around there some more.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Let's change the title to "Should it be ok to repost" since 80% of the comments are about reposting. I've had this in my iTunes for a few years or more, but I still appreciate a good discussion about the facts. I have had to speak to the police about "what happened" numerous times now, a couple involving a firearm. The most recent times were after watching these types of videos and reading these types of threads. If these were never reposted, there'd only be the original. This isn't something you typically search for.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Never say a word not one word the police are not your friend they are not there to help or to find truth . This no just apply to SD. They are there to work what ever their current PC agenda is that day.
    You say office I am in no condition to talk at his time and get to a lawyer as fast as you can or you may well get rail roaded.

So you're standing in a dark parking lot when the cops roll up because someone called 911 saying that some guy just shot another guy. There is a corpse in front of you and you have a gun in your hand.

Once you're on the ground and zip-cuffed you say, "No disrespect, but I choose not to answer any questions without the presence of a lawyer." And then you don't say anything.

Compared to:

You just shot a guy that was sprinting at you and screaming threats. He appeared to be pulling something shiny out of his waistband. You call 911 and say, "I need an ambulance and the police at my location -- A man just tried to attack me and I fired my concealed weapon in order to defend my life." When the cop gets there your weapon is holstered, your hands plainly visible, and you calmly say, "Officer, I was the one who called this in, this man just tried to attack me and I fired my concealed weapon in order to defend my life. My weapon is holstered and I have a permit to carry it."

If pressed any more *then* you can lawyer up.

My point? I think it is very important that the officials see your side of the story ASAP. After that, feel free to lawyer up. I just see it as risky when people say things like "never talk to the cops" and "never open your trap."

Administrator
    It's pretty amazing how many brand new firearm people come here to DC every week just to read.

The first time I ever came across these videos I e-mailed them to a number of friends. The Cops on my friends list absolutely loved. The one thing they thought was funny was the not all, but most people are their own worst enemy. They just can't shut up.

Michael

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links