Should I Talk To The Police? - I Just Want To Explain What Happened.

This is a discussion on Should I Talk To The Police? - I Just Want To Explain What Happened. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have heard elsewhere that it's okay to tell the responding LEO when you have been involved in a self defense shooting "He attacked me, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Should I Talk To The Police? - I Just Want To Explain What Happened.

I have heard elsewhere that it's okay to tell the responding LEO when you have been involved in a self defense shooting "He attacked me, I was afraid for my life, I shot him", and nothing more without a lawyer. Is it okay to say that so they at least understand you were defending yourself?
    accessbob likes this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirider View Post
    So you're standing in a dark parking lot when the cops roll up because someone called 911 saying that some guy just shot another guy. There is a corpse in front of you and you have a gun in your hand.

Once you're on the ground and zip-cuffed you say, "No disrespect, but I choose not to answer any questions without the presence of a lawyer." And then you don't say anything.

Compared to:

You just shot a guy that was sprinting at you and screaming threats. He appeared to be pulling something shiny out of his waistband. You call 911 and say, "I need an ambulance and the police at my location -- A man just tried to attack me and I fired my concealed weapon in order to defend my life." When the cop gets there your weapon is holstered, your hands plainly visible, and you calmly say, "Officer, I was the one who called this in, this man just tried to attack me and I fired my concealed weapon in order to defend my life. My weapon is holstered and I have a permit to carry it."

If pressed any more *then* you can lawyer up.

My point? I think it is very important that the officials see your side of the story ASAP. After that, feel free to lawyer up. I just see it as risky when people say things like "never talk to the cops" and "never open your trap."
    Yeah, Massad Ayoob says taht if involved in a self-defense shooting, you should explain that you were attacked, that you had to defend yourself (no details), and point out the evidence (shell casings, etc.), then say, "I will give a complete statement in 24 hours, after I have talked with my lawyer."

If you don't say ANYTHING, the evidence may be gone the next day (Ayoob has seen it happen in cases he has been involved in, according to his video that I watched). If you say MORE than the bare minimum posted above, then you may say something you'll regret.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

VIP Member
    I think the FL case has something to offer which may be instructive, as the man spoke freely for several hours and
    no charges were filed until political issues intervened.

It will be very interesting to see, as time goes by, whether or not speaking to the police was a net
    positive or a net negative.

When someone wants to twist what you are saying, they will however do that regardless of what you actually
    say. I learned that the hard way one time when I was interviewed regarding actions of others which I knew nothing about,
    and found that every word I uttered was being turned upside down and used to make me out to be a liar; when in
    fact I was clueless and didn't even know about the event being looked at.

It was an internal investigation so I could have been fired for not talking to the inspector. The crap went on until I lost my temper and decided to tell her off, that they could take their job and shove it; at which point she said, "you don't know anything, get out of here."

The lesson learned, "know nothing and say nothing" if you have a choice.
    QKShooter likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    I have heard elsewhere that it's okay to tell the responding LEO when you have been involved in a self defense shooting "He attacked me, I was afraid for my life, I shot him", and nothing more without a lawyer. Is it okay to say that so they at least understand you were defending yourself?
    yes, you ID yourself, articulate that you were in fear of losing your life, what caused that fear and you could even point out witnesses, you say it once to the first officer on scene and after you say that you should not utter another word.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think the FL case has something to offer which may be instructive, as the man spoke freely for several hours and
    no charges were filed until political issues intervened.

It will be very interesting to see, as time goes by, whether or not speaking to the police was a net
    positive or a net negative.

When someone wants to twist what you are saying, they will however do that regardless of what you actually
    say. I learned that the hard way one time when I was interviewed regarding actions of others which I knew nothing about,
    and found that every word I uttered was being turned upside down and used to make me out to be a liar; when in
    fact I was clueless and didn't even know about the event being looked at.

It was an internal investigation so I could have been fired for not talking to the inspector. The crap went on until I lost my temper and decided to tell her off, that they could take their job and shove it; at which point she said, "you don't know anything, get out of here."

The lesson learned, "know nothing and say nothing" if you have a choice.
    if you say nothing there is nothing that can be misinterpreted or twisted, keeping their mouth shut is hard for some people.
    the best advice is the less you say the better off you are.

Never talk to LEO without a lawyer.............Ever............LEO does not talk to LEO without Lawyer>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by toytruckman View Post
    Never talk to LEO without a lawyer.............Ever............LEO does not talk to LEO without Lawyer>>>>>>>>>>>>
    excellent point!

You say nothing for many reasons . One is that once you say anything it is a opening for the officer to respond, that leads to more talking and so on next thing you know you have said way to much. If at a latter time you change anything even the slightest they will accuse you of false statements.
    Weather LEO or military when you conduct any investigation you are trained to find ways in roads to get the person talking about anything. Once you get them talking you will get more information from them
    No madder what LEO is not on your side even if you are 100% in the right. People are charged everyday for crimes they did not commit .
    I stand by saying office I am to shook up to talk right now and ending it there.

Quote Originally Posted by toytruckman View Post
    Depending on the laws of your State if you were to claim that you were in fear for your life the officer may not arrest you. If after shooting someone you say nothing at all the officer will have no choice but to arrest you. How is the officer supposed to know its self defense if you don't tell him?
    Tell them you feared for your life and defended yourself. Then nothing more until you see a Lawyer.

Michael
    Harryball likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Depending on the laws of your State if you were to claim that you were in fear for your life the officer may not arrest you. If after shooting someone you say nothing at all the officer will have no choice but to arrest you. How is the officer supposed to know its self defense if you don't tell him?
    Tell them you feared for your life and defended yourself. Then nothing more until you see a Lawyer.

Michael
    you either haven't been paying attention or comprehending the posts, most people have stated that if you ever did shoot someone you tell the first responding officer who you are, that you have a permit to have your gun, that you were attacked and in fear of your life, you shot the guy laying on the ground, and those people are witnesses. once you have said this you don't say another thing other than I want my lawyer.

Distinguished Member
    Different cops will give different answers on different days so u best get it in writing. Because if it ain't on paper in ur hands it never happened.....
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    you either haven't been paying attention or comprehending the posts, most people have stated that if you ever did shoot someone you tell the first responding officer who you are, that you have a permit to have your gun, that you were attacked and in fear of your life, you shot the guy laying on the ground, and those people are witnesses. once you have said this you don't say another thing other than I want my lawyer.
    The particular poster I was responding to stated that you should never ever talk to police without a Lawyer.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It's pretty amazing how many brand new firearm people come here to DC every week just to read.
    Correct, and posting/re-posting these two vids is a great idea...people need to listen/listen a second time to them.
    They are very educational and may just save your butt in a SD situation...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I agree that reposting these videos periodically is a great idea. If you have seen them and don't want to watch them again, click the back button - what have you lost - maybe 10 seconds of your life??? I think the need for newbees to hear/see this info outweighs my "need" not to see it again. Thanks for posting QKShooter.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Different cops will give different answers on different days so u best get it in writing. Because if it ain't on paper in ur hands it never happened.....
    do yourself a favor and do not get your legal advice from a cop, that is what lawyers are for.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links