New Mexico Drops Arizona KY Sup Ct Rules on Car Storage on Campus

This is a discussion on New Mexico Drops Arizona KY Sup Ct Rules on Car Storage on Campus within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Arizona DPS is reporting that New Mexico no longer honors the Arizona Permit/License to Carry. I had been hearing rumors this was going to happen. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Mexico Drops Arizona KY Sup Ct Rules on Car Storage on Campus

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Arizona DPS is reporting that New Mexico no longer honors the Arizona Permit/License to Carry. I had been hearing rumors this was going to happen. I have been hearing there are a couple more they may drop. Time will tell. Concealed Weapons Reciprocal and Recognition Agreements - Arizona Department of Public Safety

The KY Supreme Court ruled that a firearm locked in a vehicle in a University Parking lot was not a violation of the School rules/policies. Univ. of Kentucky fired an employee who had a firearm locked in his vehicle. The Court ruled that he had a right to keep it there and it was a violation for them to fire him under state law. There is a link to this Decision on the Kentucky page at Handgunlaw.us and you can view it Here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/a...tyProperty.pdf
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

NM is killing me, everytime I find a way to be able to carry there they drop that state.

Quote Originally Posted by vista461 View Post
    NM is killing me, everytime I find a way to be able to carry there they drop that state.
    No joke.... same here..... then for some strange reason, they decided to recognize my state. Go figure.
    vista461 likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I think NM recently dropped Va. I don't know what's going on with those guys.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

OK, so any idea why they dropped AZ???
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    NM DPS is stating laws not similar.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

It's too bad, they've really got themselves and us bound up with the way the NM law is being interpreted. (At this point my UT, FL, VA, and AZ permits are no longer honored, frustrating, since I spend a third of my life at my 2nd home there). May try Texas, but it appears they do license resident aliens, so they may go too, along with others. Well... NM is an open carry state, it is legal to carry loaded (including concealed) in vehicles due to extended domain, and it is legal to carry an unloaded gun with no specification about concealment (how fast can you load?)... (no place that sells alcohol, tho). My view, this will be costly for them in terms of tourism, and should be.
    Last edited by Mark IL NM; April 27th, 2012 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark IL NM View Post
    It's too bad, they've really got themselves and us bound up with the way the NM law is being interpreted. (At this point my UT, FL, VA, and AZ permits are no longer honored, frustrating, since I spend a third of my life at my 2nd home there). May try Texas, but it appears they do license resident aliens, so they may go to, along with others. Well... NM is an open carry state, it is legal to carry loaded (including concealed) in vehicles due to extended domain, and it is legal to carry an unloaded gun with no specification about concealment (how fast can you load?)... (no place that sells alcohol, tho). My view, this will be costly for them in terms of tourism, and should be.
    Ugh, what a pain the ass.

Why can't the pro-gun places just be pro-gun.

Mark- yes on the resident alien thing in TX, although the SAF has just this week filed in federal court in NM challenging that. But TX also issues licenses to active military under 21, and NM has a no- under 21 rule. I was all set to get a TX license when I heard AZ would probably be dropped, but I'll hold off on that. I expect TX to be dropped also.

This is a real disaster and as I have said before I believe NM is shooting itself in the foot.

Why can't the pro-gun places just be pro-gun.
    It's a darned good question. The old West does still exist here if you get away from the populated areas.

Quote Originally Posted by 74 View Post
    Mark- yes on the resident alien thing in TX, although the SAF has just this week filed in federal court in NM challenging that. But TX also issues licenses to active military under 21, and NM has a no- under 21 rule. I was all set to get a TX license when I heard AZ would probably be dropped, but I'll hold off on that. I expect TX to be dropped also.

This is a real disaster and as I have said before I believe NM is shooting itself in the foot.
    Yeah; holding off on Texas for the same reason. I believe from looking at handgunlaw.us I'm out of options for states that do non-resident licenses that NM honors once TX goes, and of course we're very far away from CCW in Illinois. I'll spend my vacation in Arizona, Nevada, Utah ... hope others do, too. Let the Governor know...

VIP Member
    Now non of my permits are recognized in NM.

Why doesn't NM issue non-res permits if they don't want to recognize so many other state permits?

My mother and father in law live in NM. Now Mrs. GB and I can't visit them. maybe there's an up side to this after all?
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    Why doesn't NM issue non-res permits if they don't want to recognize so many other state permits?
    Or constitutional carry, altho I suspect Santa Fe would try to block that...

Worth noting that the NM CCW Reciprocity page starts with "NMDPS has made a lot of progress in the last year concerning NM’s reciprocity with other states" ... what does that tell you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark IL NM View Post
    Worth noting that the NM CCW Reciprocity page starts with "NMDPS has made a lot of progress in the last year concerning NM’s reciprocity with other states" ... what does that tell you?
    The thing is though, is that the DPS is only (now) enforcing a statute that was passed by the legislature. The DPS doesn't make the law. So in that respect, they are only doing what they have been empowered to do.

I completely agree that NM should consider non-resident licenses if they are going to end up dropping so many other states. It would also be a source of revenue, something they are cutting off by doing all of this.

NM just dropped reciprocity with all but 5 states:

AS OF 1600hrs - New Mexico Reciprocity Now 5 States

So, that's where we are.

They seem to be dropping about everyone..... Ks is no longer recognized..... and since our law requires recriprocal agreements, NM will drop off our list of recognized states.

We are exactly the same, except for recent change in the law which will allow resident aliens to get a permit. That seems to be the only reason we were dropped from their list.

Planning a trip thru NM and then to Arizona, I'll go to Arizona now via Colorado and eliminate the time and money I would have been spending in NM.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links