Wal-Mart trip gone wrong

This is a discussion on Wal-Mart trip gone wrong within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened just down the road from me, lots of mistakes made here: carrying in his waistband, pointing the gun at the sky in a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart trip gone wrong

Wal-Mart trip gone wrong

This happened just down the road from me, lots of mistakes made here: carrying in his waistband, pointing the gun at the sky in a wal-mart restroom, and it "accidentally went off".

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/...WS01/109070123

Wal-Mart shooter faces felony charge

By ASHLEY SMITH, Telegraph Staff
    asmith@nashuatelegraph.com

Published: Thursday, Sep. 7, 2006

HUDSON – Charles Masterson was always taught that it’s safest to point a gun at the sky when it’s not being used, so that’s what he did when he stepped into a bathroom stall at the local Wal-Mart to relieve himself, he told police.

The precaution backfired when the gun went off and struck a ceiling tile, scaring the pants back on Wal-Mart employee, who came running out of the next stall. For placing that teenager in serious danger, police are holding Masterson criminally responsible.

Masterson, 36, of 23 Brook St., No. 3 in Nashua, was jailed overnight after the gun discharged, but released on personal recognizance Wednesday after an arraignment in Nashua District Court. Charged with felony reckless conduct, Masterson is accused of discharging the weapon in the bathroom of the Hudson Wal-Mart around 9 p.m. Tuesday. His 13-year-old son was also in the bathroom at the time, police said.

In an interview with police later that night, Masterson said he had been carrying the Glock 9mm pistol in his waistband. When asked why he felt the need to carry a concealed handgun at Wal-Mart, Masterson replied: “Well, I have the right to bear arms, you know.”

The Wal-Mart employee, 17-year-old Adam Carew of Dracut, Mass., told police he was in the handicapped accessible stall when he heard the gunshot. Carew said he ran out and saw Masterson’s son covering his ears. Masterson walked out of his stall, put the gun in his pants and “just walked right out of the bathroom like nothing happened,” Carew told police.

Store employees called police, and Masterson complied when management asked him to stay until they arrived.

At the Wednesday hearing, Masterson asked Judge Thomas Rappa Jr. to reduce his $5,000 cash or surety bail, maintaining that he is not a flight risk and he cannot afford it while paying child support.

Rappa agreed to change Masterson’s bail to $25,000 personal recognizance, which means he pays nothing as long as he stays out of trouble. “I’m talking not even a stop sign violation,” Rappa said.

Sgt. Donna Briggs, the Hudson prosecutor, requested that Masterson’s apartment be searched as a condition of his bail. Masterson agreed to the search, which was to be conducted by Nashua police immediately after his release.

Briggs also asked that Masterson have no contact with Wal-Mart or its employees, which the judge imposed.

Carew, the Wal-Mart employee, could not be reached for comment. His father, Art Carew, said his son was “pretty shaken up” by the whole thing.
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

2. Remove Ads

Sgt. Donna Briggs, the Hudson prosecutor, requested that Masterson’s apartment be searched as a condition of his bail.
    Um, searched for what?

That's BS.

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    He made many bad mistakes, and did the 2nd amendment no favors. Everyone who carries a pistol concealed needs a good holster.
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

Senior Moderator
    What an idiot.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Lead Moderator
    The Brady folks should hire him as a poster boy!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Lead Moderator
    Better training and a holster would have helped. Searched for what ?! Unfortunately we will see a few who are gonna do stuff like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sgt who? is the "prosecutor"?...explain that one to me...

This guy is an idiot...

WOW...all I can say is if I was anti-gun I could have a field day with this one. There's always going to be a few bad apples in a bunch but it still hurts when you hear about them...

The issue isn't about concealed carry, it's idiots who decide to carry as IF they have a CCW. In NH, you gotta get have a permit, no permit, it's illegal.
    As one of my old sergeants used to say. "WE do not play at spray and play.......Do we.... Sir....."

Remember children, when we have removed the pin from Mr Grenade, Mr Grenade is no longer our friend......

I'm surprised this guy hasn't shot his nuts off. Glad nobody was hurt.

VIP Member
    Real bright guy. What was his finger doing on the trigger? And why didn't he just put it in his pocket? AAAArgh!
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

JT
    I agree that a good holster is needed, but it says it struck a ceiling tile. It apparently did not go off when he drew it.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Assistant Administrator
    Can we say gross incompetance?

Exactly the sort of idiotic behavior that gives anti's a boatload of ammo to use against us. Not to mention making WalMart think again over policy.

This guy would seem to be an inept loose cannon - who had probably never heard of the four rules or gained anything approaching safe handling of a Glock. No friend of ours
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Can we say gross incompetance?

Exactly the sort of idiotic behavior that gives anti's a boatload of ammo to use against us. Not to mention making WalMart think again over policy.

This guy would seem to be an inept loose cannon - who had probably never heard of the four rules or gained anything approaching safe handling of a Glock. No friend of ours
    Exactly. He's part of the problem. Obviously no training, or he's too stupid to remember it.........Cretin.

More chlorine!

I guess the leak was a good one if it made him squeeze the triger. glad no one was hurt, it could have been alot worse

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links